Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Games with Gold

• 01-07-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

As this thread is the main Games with Gold thread, I thought that I'd add some information on what Games with Gold actually is to the OP.

CatInABox

<EDIT>

Games with Gold is one of the benefits of having an Xbox Live Gold subscription, as Microsoft are now giving away games each month to it's subscribers. Here's some details on it.

What is it?

On Xbox 360, there are two free games each month, The first is available on the 1st of the month, which is then replaced by the second on the 16th of the month.
    On Xbox One, there is one new game available each month, with the previous months game also available.

Do I own the games?

On Xbox 360, once you download the game, then you own it for all time, even if you no longer pay for Xbox Live Gold.
    On Xbox One, you must have a paid Xbox Live Gold subscription to be able to play any game acquired through "Games with Gold".

How do I get the free games?

On your Xbox console, there should be a tile with "Games with Gold" on it.

On your PC, you can go here to download them.

</EDIT>

I couldn't find any thread discussing this but, it says a free game will be available on the 1st of July (Today). Although it's 11.30 in the morning, what time should we expect to see the next game?

For convenience (I'm in work at the moment) I'd like to begin the download before I finish at 4pm so that it's there for me when I get home. Also, what game is it that's coming out? Does anyone have a list of the games that are to be released on this thing?

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

gamercfc wrote: »
    I couldn't find any thread discussing this but, it says a free game will be available on the 1st of July (Today). Although it's 11.30 in the morning, what time should we expect to see the next game?

For convenience (I'm in work at the moment) I'd like to begin the download before I finish at 4pm so that it's there for me when I get home. Also, what game is it that's coming out? Does anyone have a list of the games that are to be released on this thing?

Thanks in advance.
    Dave

theirs no list
    they only announce what games on the dates their suppose to be announced
    last night around 12:15am the free game for the 1st of this month was announced

its , tower defence : the awakening or some **** like that haha

even though it still says 800msp to download, i assume it will be free before 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I think the first two are Halo 3 and Assassins Creed 2. Haven't been online myself yet today but it say it will be up by the time you will be finished from work.

As far as I know there isn't a complete list. I think its just a choice of two games per month and once that month is over then they are unavailable for free after that

tim3000 wrote: »
    I think the first two are Halo 3 and Assassins Creed 2. Haven't been online myself yet today but it say it will be up by the time you will be finished from work.

As far as I know there isn't a complete list. I think its just a choice of two games per month and once that month is over then they are unavailable for free after that

nope their not the first two free
    wish they were but their not
    you and alot of other people have been decieved my friend :/

was up on the xbox.com website and up on major nelsons twitter , what the first game will be for free

EDIT: i think their changing the game now? cause its not up on the offical xbox.com website anymore
    probably because theirs uproar over it on the xbox forums haha
    major nelson needs to be sacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

So is it Halo 3, Assassin's Creed or Tower Defence? :P

EDIT: Sorry I never saw the previous comment above me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056144176/74/#post85328337

I'd imagine this will be the best place to see what the new games are as they come, we're all professional digital bargain hunters in there ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wow got a little sick in my mouth when I saw this :eek:
    This month with a PlayStation Plus subscription you could download, for free: Uncharted 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Catherine, The Cave, Demon's Souls, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD, Kingdom's of Amalur: Reckoning and LittleBigPlanet Karting.

That's not counting the free Vita titles: Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Rayman Origins and Sine Mora.

7 years on a gold sub and this is what ms throws at us ....... I know I know free is free etc etc but come on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    nope their not the first two free
    wish they were but their not
    you and alot of other people have been decieved my friend :/

was up on the xbox.com website and up on major nelsons twitter , what the first game will be for free

EDIT: i think their changing the game now? cause its not up on the offical xbox.com website anymore
    probably because theirs uproar over it on the xbox forums haha
    major nelson needs to be sacked!

Google tells me that you are right. This hasnt been a good month and a half for xbox haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

calex71 wrote: »
    Wow got a little sick in my mouth when I saw this :eek:

7 years on a gold sub and this is what ms throws at us ....... I know I know free is free etc etc but come on :(

The big problem is MS are giving you the games where Sony kind of rents them, I doubt someone at EA or Squeenix would allow them to give away games like Hitman or Kingdom of Amalur for nothing after both underperformed sale wise.
    Tbh AC:II is the best one anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You could be charitable and say MS don't have to do much to one up themselves, but really, they've a long way to go to impress in comparison to PS+. Lots of people are looking at PS+ and knowing it will hold true for PS4, and MS aren't even confirmed for doing their games for gold thing for the One. They need to impress with the One to give an indication it is sound thinking they might be interested in following this strategy with the One. If they're only giving titles that are years old, how likely is it the One will follow the strategy? And if publishers have such issue with it, why does PS+ do it? I really don't think the distinction between renting and buying cuts it. Either way results in less sales, so I'm not satisfied with publishers are a ok with PS+ but not games for gold. Even granting that assumption, MS could/should have gone the same way as PS+.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

GTR63 wrote: »
    The big problem is MS are giving you the games where Sony kind of rents them, I doubt someone at EA or Squeenix would allow them to give away games like Hitman or Kingdom of Amalur for nothing after both underperformed sale wise.

PS+ is a subscription service where we are renting the games for as long as we have PS+, if I let it lapse, I will lose access to all these games(the european ones), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Game_Collection

I personally don't see it as a problem.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    Tbh AC:II is the best one anyway

Of Halo, Tower Defense and AC:II, AC:II is the best, but tbh Demon's Souls is even better again.

im an xbox guy
    but my god i wish i was playstation at this time :/ their ps+ for this month is just UNREAL

congrats majornelson you have offically punked us all :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    im an xbox guy
    but my god i wish i was playstation at this time :/ their ps+ for this month is just UNREAL

congrats majornelson you have offically punked us all :/
    I know what you are getting at, but It's not his fault, he's just the messenger in this so to speak

Meesared wrote: »
    I know what you are getting at, but It's not his fault, he's just the messenger in this so to speak

no hes apart of the pr team
    who failed to announce it

every gaming website announced that halo3 and assassins creed 2 were first (although their old, atleast they have alot of hours to be put into)
    and everyone assumed it was them games first
    including everyone on the xbox forums
    the PR team failed to announce this, they had bad wording in the e3 press conference, which led to this, and when everyone assumed it was them games first, they didnt even deny it, they didnt say anything because they thought they were getting good support
    well it all backfired

the PR team at microsoft also said , only fan favourite games would be released,
    but this is not a fan favourite, the game is bugged to bits, just look in the td forums :L even the person who made the game said he was so sorry for it been so buggy and broken

its a joke tbh :/ im not a spoilt child, but if microsoft plan on going against sony for giving out free games
    at least do it right, and look into the games your giving for free to show their not buggy as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I think the selection of games might have something to do with a survey that was running on xbox.com, not sure if it's still going.

Personally, I think Defence Grid is a great game, and owning this, Halo 3 and Assassins Creed 2, I've probably put most time into Defence Grid.
    Out of interest, do you have a link for the forum about how buggy the game is, I've never noticed it being buggy, but maybe that's just my ignorance.

The marketing for the Games with Gold promotion has been awful and misleading however, and as some kind of reaction to Playstation Plus its almost laughable

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    You could be charitable and say MS don't have to do much to one up themselves, but really, they've a long way to go to impress in comparison to PS+. Lots of people are looking at PS+ and knowing it will hold true for PS4, and MS aren't even confirmed for doing their games for gold thing for the One. They need to impress with the One to give an indication it is sound thinking they might be interested in following this strategy with the One. If they're only giving titles that are years old, how likely is it the One will follow the strategy? And if publishers have such issue with it, why does PS+ do it? I really don't think the distinction between renting and buying cuts it. Either way results in less sales, so I'm not satisfied with publishers are a ok with PS+ but not games for gold. Even granting that assumption, MS could/should have gone the same way as PS+.

There's not a hope in hell this will be carried over to the One imo. It's just something to promote the 360 before the One is released.

Was looking forward to getting halo 3 today, instead we get a game I got free off facebook a month ago.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's not a hope in hell this will be carried over to the One imo. It's just something to promote the 360 before the One is released.
    Yep, I'm thinking that way too. If they were offering something on par with PS+ a case could be made, but no way are they going to go from the current offering and still keep up a Games with Gold type with the One.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Yep, I'm thinking that way too. If they were offering something on par with PS+ a case could be made, but no way are they going to go from the current offering and still keep up a Games with Gold type with the One.

Even with PS+ though, is that definitely carrying over? There's bound to be a window of a year or two at least before they'd do it I would have thought considering they'd have to be giving launch titles away at first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Microsoft - over delivering on value.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Mickeroo wrote: »

Was looking forward to getting halo 3 today, instead we get a game I got free off facebook a month ago.

It ends December 31st....its a PR stunt, the fact they failed to deliver what they said at E3 + this cheap crappy game they couldnt even give away proves its not a legit project, its not PS+.....its a bad PR joke! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭kristok 2

Wow way to piss people off Microsoft. Was thinking of cancelling gold as I'm flat out on the ps3 with plus and now this might be the final nail in the coffin. Microsoft really making some bad moves these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I posted in the "what next gen consoles you going to get" thread and I said Xbox One. As the DRM thing originally didnt bother me and am a Dead Rising fan.

But that Sony offer today of Uncharted 3, etc... wow. And that they will continue to offer free games on PS4 (even tho you know it'll be a year before a launch game goes free but still)

It really is swaying my choice now :pac: Wish my ps3 wasnt busted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Was glad to get fable 3.
    Defence grid is really not the kind of game that I go for.
    I hope the next game is a lot better than that.

I am about to turn it on for a bit to give it a go. Will post here when I've had enough time with it to formulate an opinion (could be tonight, or I might need more time). I would have just done so, and posted with my thoughts, but I had to post when I start up the game and get a prompt for downloadable content for the game. Hmm. Fable 3, another game with DLC. They're giving free games, sure, but I'm thinking they are just hoping for an increase in DLC sales.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Give with one hand, take with the other. In fairness, it happens with psn+ as well, only they try to get specials on the dlc for those that want'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

(even tho you know it'll be a year before a launch game goes free but still)

FYI Driveclub will be available at launch through PS+ (a stripped-down version apparently though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Is there an area on xbox live where you can search for free games or is it just in with the rest of them. I d/l a spartacus game there yesterday but it is meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Well I downloaded it, it'll join the long queue of games I've yet to play but I like most people was fooled into believing I'd be getting Halo 3 and AC2. Alright they're aged titles that most people already own (I myself only have AC2) but they're still 'full' game titles so to speak and now instead Microsoft are going to be treating us to free Arcade games. I demand a free copy of Halo 4 :P

Advertisement