Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Veg plans for 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Seve OB wrote: »
    Silly question maybe.
    Are all potatoes supposed to flower. I’ve had some in since mid March and no flowers at all on them yet.

They were very late flowering. When the leaves die back, harvest them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My spuds have been ravaged by the wind this past few weeks, there's very little leaves left on them at this stage. They got a bad doing back during the bad weekend in May and they're all bent over since then but the foliage had recovered nicely until the past 2 weeks where weekend after weekend of stormy weather has literally stripped off most of the leaves leaving bare stalk.
    In behind on spraying also due to the wet weather so I'm hoping blight doesn't get to them

They're maincrop (pentland crown) planted 1st April. When do you think I'm looking at harvesting them? I'm assuming the damage will keep setting them back further?

Zapperzy wrote: »
    My spuds have been ravaged by the wind this past few weeks, there's very little leaves left on them at this stage. They got a bad doing back during the bad weekend in May and they're all bent over since then but the foliage had recovered nicely until the past 2 weeks where weekend after weekend of stormy weather has literally stripped off most of the leaves leaving bare stalk.
    In behind on spraying also due to the wet weather so I'm hoping blight doesn't get to them

They're maincrop (pentland crown) planted 1st April. When do you think I'm looking at harvesting them? I'm assuming the damage will keep setting them back further?

I planted all mine early march. Main crop are in flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

This year's shallots, picked and plaited.

shallot-plait.jpg

There's about 2.5kg there, and another 0.5kg that had stalks too short to include. The smaller ones will hopefully serve as next year's sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Pulled a few carrots earlier in the week. Disappointingly small but I can live with that. The fact that quite a few of them are split is a bigger issue. Just did a check on some more there and looks like about 75% have a big split straight down them.

Why might this be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lifted the garlic today; was hoping for a decent haul after the warm weather in the spring but the bulbs were alright, size wise. some very small ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pulled a few carrots earlier in the week. Disappointingly small but I can live with that. The fact that quite a few of them are split is a bigger issue. Just did a check on some more there and looks like about 75% have a big split straight down them.

Why might this be?

Drought followed by a lot of rain. Carrots need watering regularly in a bed which drains well. to avoid this, lack of spacing can also promote cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭MacDanger

MacDanger wrote: »
    Discovered on Saturday that a rake of my spuds have blight so I had to cut the leaves way back :(

I harvested my spuds (Sharps Express) at the weekend, fairly low yield though. I planted them in late March (23rd I think) and then grew very well for the first few months, big plants and small flowers on a couple of them. They got blight on the leaves about 2 weeks ago though and perhaps I should have dug them at that stage. Instead I cut away any stalks with brown spots (~ half) and sprayed them again (once I did that, I had to leave them 10-14 days) before harvesting this weekend. There were a few rotten spuds from the blight but not many.

I'd say there was the equivalent of ~3 decent sized potatoes/plant. Any ideas on why the yield was so low? Related to the blight / cutting away the stalks? Or is this normal (this is my first time growing them)? I didn't use any fertiliser, should I have?

One last question, the spuds were nice and floury but the skins were thicker than I expected them to be, is this because I was late enough harvesting? Or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's a bad time of the year for it but what can be sown and planted over the next 2 months?

Last week I planted lettuce, parsley, beans (haricot vert in French, can't remember what they are in English), beetroot, and lamb's lettuce (for winter salad). The beans have germinated already, and will hopefully give as good a harvest as those that were planted a few months ago - getting about one dinner's worth per plant at the moment!

Red/green peppers and jalapeño chilis are looking good, but still a long way to go. Getting desperate for some green salad, though. Might have to go exotic and start picking the leaves of my (wild) Evening Primose and Nasturtiums.

Cherry tomatoes have just started coming on-stream, but not sure what the harvest is going to be like as those plant were badly affected by blight (?since when does blight live in temperatures of 25-30°C and humidity of >30% ???) Still, a series of aggressive amputations seems to have stabilised the situation, so will see how things progress over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Just took a look at the garden on my tea break.

Got my son to bend the onions down.
    Some did better than others. I think call different variety but of course I can't remember. Sometimes bought online, some in lidl. Note to self don't buy in lidl again.

Peas are coming up so we'll have a late crop. Beetroot also on the way and a few more.

Early spud harvest was disappointing but nice flavour. Got about 6 kg from 10 plants. A lot didn't grow.

Hay was cut on Saturday and is being tedded today. Hope to get it baled on Wednesday.
    I've ordered poultry netting so will put the birds on the spud row to clean out the slugs before I plant turnip next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I have earlies , planted in Mid march and the leaves are still green and strong looking. Are the tubers still growing? Is it still worth watering or feeding them?

Frogeye

My spuds have been a disappointment with regard to yield, less than a kilo a plant so far on average. I had one really good one and thought all was well but so far it's the outlier. Everything else is growing well, but like many still waiting on tomatoes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

congrats, it's a boy!

520637.jpg

I guess I should share considering I started this thread!
    Its been a good year for this "novice" veg grower.
    I have to say my wife is the one with the real green fingers.I just do the donkey work!

Romanesco cauliflowers coming along nicely

064830a6-339e-4e8d-a490-6f1ccc45723b.jpg

harvesting a few radishes !

38036cb7-90cb-447d-859e-388a67b7d893.jpg

Peas,brussel sprouts,corn and some other stuff here (check out the lolla rosa thats gone to seed!).
    76d77fe2-9c89-4759-a71c-527140a7530d.jpg

And inside the greenhouse.
    A wee be little pumpking (has decent fruit on it!)
    Cucumbers,tomatoes and more cucumbers!

2f26423d-eab0-4f97-9b6c-e5929a53c491.jpg

This patch has courgettes, Atlantic giant pumpkins (growing up the "ladders"), more cauliflower and butternut squash,also some cabbage that is being annihilated by slugs.

ffc1fb83-dc3a-4b90-9538-7e214efa329d.jpg

Heres some of the garlic I harvested last month along with loads of onions!
    all dried,braided and hanging in the pantry :D

IMG-20200613-WA0014.jpg

Going to get some Autum harvest broad beans down before the weekend.

Two for the price of one, can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I will be digging up some veg gone to seed this week. I will have three empty raised beds to fill. I would like to grow something from seed now…...any suggestions?

I will be digging up some veg gone to seed this week. I will have three empty raised beds to fill. I would like to grow something from seed now…...any suggestions?

Here is what I'm going to sow this week

https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable-Seeds/Popular-Vegetable-Seeds/Broad-Bean-Seeds/Bean-Broad-Bean-Seeds---Luz-de-Otono_194118.htm#194118

I came across those on a FB group I'm in. Ordered a packet yesterday.

Love your greenhouse

All from my Garden, including the T-bone*.

I grew the grass which fed the cow which I bought with more grass and had killed.

• Advertisement

All from my Garden, including the T-bone*.

I grew the grass which fed the cow which I bought with more grass and had killed.

All from my Garden, including the T-bone ...

What about the plate? :D

My children found a place in one of our ditches that they called "the clay mine" - a seam of workable clay that they dug out and made into pots, plates and miscellaneous sculptures. None of them ever made it into our collection of tableware, though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Almost been living off the garden for the last 4-5 weeks for lunch and dinner

Spuds
    Lettuce 4 varieties
    Scallions
    Chard
    Broccolli
    Peas
    Onions
    Baby carrots

Not just a carrot - my carrot. Pulled and brushed. No washing required really!

36rjp.jpg

Almost been living off the garden for the last 4-5 weeks for lunch and dinner

Spuds
    Lettuce 4 varieties
    Scallions
    Chard
    Broccolli
    Peas
    Onions
    Baby carrots

What, do you do with the chard? Just pull the leaves not the plant. It keeps growing I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I'm a newbie in the world of growing vegetables. I've grown spuds, lettuce, scallions and corriander that went to seed this year.
    I've lots of space. Is there any vegetable seeds I could plant now or in a few weeks that would grow during the winter please? I've no greenhouse.

I'm a newbie in the world of growing vegetables. I've grown spuds, lettuce, scallions and corriander that went to seed this year.
    I've lots of space. Is there any vegetable seeds I could plant now or in a few weeks that would grow during the winter please? I've no greenhouse.
    Get autumn harvest broad beans.

I got cabbage and Calabrese plants yesterday.

Johnstown garden centre have a good selection

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

You could still sow purple sprouting broccoli, kale, lettuce, radish, turnips, chard. If you have any new spuds left over you could plant some in August for an Christmas crop provided you can keep the frost off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

If you wait until Oct/Nov you could put in garlic and winter onions. Onions be ready at the end of June and the garlic early July...You'll get the winter varieties on line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Anyone else have tomatoes slow to ripen? We have loads growing in poly tunnel but they seem to have been green forever. Last year we did put them in paper bags to ripen but many turned to mush.

Advertisement