Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbour Falling Out / Hedging

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Had they any issue with the hedge before they felt you had reported them?

Why would they think you, in particular, had?

Maybe another neighbour?

Personally I wouldn't have any issue with 2m high hedge. Plus I don't think anyone has a 'right' to light.
    If it's left continue it will only get worse.
    If there's a chance to stop the disagreement sooner rather than later then do try.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Razorfish

Had they any issue with the hedge before they felt you had reported them?

Why would they think you, in particular, had?

Maybe another neighbour?

Personally I wouldn't have any issue with 2m high hedge. Plus I don't think anyone has a 'right' to light.
    If it's left continue it will only get worse.
    If there's a chance to stop the disagreement sooner rather than later then do try.

Appreciate all the responses.

My wife and I discussed it today and are going to employee a professional to assist in discussing lowering the height of the hedge. We will book and pay and drop a note into them asking if they could take part. Hopefully we can reach a compromise height that they are happy with and then ask the professional to cut it. We would discuss it with them in person but after being shouted at at their door on Friday, I couldn’t put myself through that again.

They had expressed when the moved in 7 years ago their preference for walls but we do like the hedge and didn’t want walls. We like a greenery in the garden. The hedge is a boundary hedge in the front installed by the builder 20 years ago.

We don’t know who reported them to the Gardai but we’re terribly upset at the anger and hate expressed towards us at their door. We have verbally said to them it wasn’t us twice since Friday so I really don’t know what more we can do.

I’d like if it was resolved to a point of being civil. Perhaps asking them to a discussion with a professional on reducing the size will be a step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

Razorfish wrote: »
    Appreciate all the responses.

My wife and I discussed it today and are going to employee a professional to assist in discussing lowering the height of the hedge. We will book and pay and drop a note into them asking if they could take part. Hopefully we can reach a compromise height that they are happy with and then ask the professional to cut it. We would discuss it with them in person but after being shouted at at their door on Friday, I couldn’t put myself through that again.

They had expressed when the moved in 7 years ago their preference for walls but we do like the hedge and didn’t want walls. We like a greenery in the garden. The hedge is a boundary hedge in the front installed by the builder 20 years ago.

We don’t know who reported them to the Gardai but we’re terribly upset at the anger and hate expressed towards us at their door. We have verbally said to them it wasn’t us twice since Friday so I really don’t know what more we can do.

I’d like if it was resolved to a point of being civil. Perhaps asking them to a discussion with a professional on reducing the size will be a step in the right direction.

Just be careful is my opinion and i know it sounds kinda grim but honestly it's so very true in my experience that people like this just see appeasement as weakness,they see everything in these terms its how they see life.Read a previous poster about how once neighbours start this it goes from one thing to another.

That is why i said just putting the foot down often is the only way,the fact that you posted it means its annoying you,they know that.Its like they feed off that energy and things might settle down for a while but something else will go wrong in their life and it will be something else.Its an attack on you,and you need to find some anger somewhere things like this can seep into your childrens lives if you have any don't accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hate leylandii

It was a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that's a good idea OP, get them involved, with a third party there. Hopefully you can find someone suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i would talk to them and say
    ' we are lowering the hedge to 4 feet , then you might be able to see the person that actually reported you to the guards '

and let them stew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Attack is the best form of defense.

Rather than apologise for wrongly accusing you of calling the Gardai on their unknown dodgy activities these Morons thought it was best to take a critical horticultural approach and begin to critique your planting and pruning choices.

You won't reason with small-minded toxic people at this level of the evolutionary spectrum.... Best to take a firm approach and make it clear they can't walk all over you, otherwise they'll surely try.

Make sure your hedge is at a height that meets all legal restrictions etc. so they've no moral high ground over you.

PS There's some guideline out there that if your neighbours hedge/trees overhang your garden you're entitled to cut them and the clippings are to be left with the owner to dispose of, so they might have been following this advice originally - albeit I'm sure they were trying to make a point at the same time.

PPS They prefer concrete walls and mass-concreting things.....Lovely.....Lovely people, lovely plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thebiggestjim

The hedge is not the problem here OP. Someone reported them to the Gardai, they think it is you, and they are taking their anger out by creating a hedge issue.

Don't do anything with the hedge. Reassure them together and separately that you had nothing to do with calling the Gardai. e.g "Let's be reasonable here, we have no issue with you ....". Deflect any hedge modification talk and bring it back to the Gardai point anytime they bring it up. The hedge thing will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Mango Joe wrote: »
    ...PS There's some guideline out there that if your neighbours hedge/trees overhang your garden you're entitled to cut them and the clippings are to be left with the owner to dispose of, so they might have been following this advice originally - albeit I'm sure they were trying to make a point at the same time..

Not sure this is absolutely right from a thread I read on here last year I think.
    AFAIR, neighbours have the right to cut back anything that overhangs onto their side but they do not have the right to dump them back on the owner to dispose of - they can only offer the clippings back to the owner who doesn't have to take them :D.
    IME most neighbours are happy to keep their hedges trimmed on both sides, they just get permission to enter the neighbours garden to trim their side.

Not much help for the OP's issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mango Joe wrote: »
    PS There's some guideline out there that if your neighbours hedge/trees overhang your garden you're entitled to cut them and the clippings are to be left with the owner to dispose of, so they might have been following this advice originally - albeit I'm sure they were trying to make a point at the same time.

Its not the OPs hedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Hate leylandii
    So will they!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Not sure this is absolutely right from a thread I read on here last year I think.
    AFAIR, neighbours have the right to cut back anything that overhangs onto their side but they do not have the right to dump them back on the owner to dispose of - they can only offer the clippings back to the owner who doesn't have to take them :D.
    IME most neighbours are happy to keep their hedges trimmed on both sides, they just get permission to enter the neighbours garden to trim their side.

Not much help for the OP's issue.
    Bear in mind that the builder planted the hedge on the common boundary so technically it is equally the property and responsibility of both parties. The neighbour should be disposing of the clippings from their side themselves, but has an equal say in what height the hedge should be.

i had a mad similar situation this week with a neighbour with my back hedge which incidentally is planted on the neighbours side although i think was possibly planted by the builder first day. I cut the hedge on my side, and then levelled the top, thought was doing the neighbour a favour by levelling the complete top. Needless to say, i heard the neighbour coming home on the phone and basically saying the neighbour cut the hedge and left loads in my garden saying it was awful, then talked to the neighbour the opposite side who proceeded to advise that they need to talk to someone over this, basically a solicitor. I was thinking if i only cut half the top it would look petty, but after this it will only ever be half. hedge is like 8-9 foot tall so it was hard enough to cut it and then the neighbour moaning that clippings fell into their side was a bit much.

I'll know now for future cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

i heard the neighbour coming home on the phone and basically saying the neighbour cut the hedge and left loads in my garden saying it was awful, then talked to the neighbour the opposite side who proceeded to advise that they need to talk to someone over this, basically a solicitor
    People are monsters.

Lumen wrote: »
    People are monsters.

Totally agree.

It would look ridiculous and petty on my behalf if i only topped my side of the hedge, i'll know better the next and only top my half, no matter how ridiculous it will look

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭standardg60

Totally agree.

It would look ridiculous and petty on my behalf if i only topped my side of the hedge, i'll know better the next and only top my half, no matter how ridiculous it will look

No good deed goes unpunished.
    People are generally becoming more and more ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

If your hedging grows through to their property isn't it your responsibility to cut it back?

If your hedging grows through to their property isn't it your responsibility to cut it back?

dont think so, not sure really as you hear lots of versions. Either way the hedge i am talking about is on the neighbours side of the fence. I have no problem cutting it and topping, some neighbours are just impossible and are so consumed with themselves they dont realise someone else topping a hedge is saving them the hassle of topping an 8 foot hedge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭standardg60

The letter of the law is that if it encroaches on a neighbour's property then the neighbour has the right to cut it back to the boundary and return the cuttings to the hedge owner.
    There is no onus on the owner to maintain both sides. Back in the day when neighbours were proper neighbours they would usually maintain each side themselves (the non hedge owner was gaining the benefit of the privacy, aestheticy, and security it afforded them and were happy to do it.
    Nowadays they want to have everything and do or pay for nothing.
    I've pointed this out a couple of times whilst working and actually most come round to my point of view and are less aggravating.
    A boundary hedge planted by a builder is a different scenario, neither party owns it and each is technically responsible for whatever part grows on their side.

Advertisement