Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed trap van on the R759

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Maybe started when bikers started speeding there?
    Another cyclist/cage driver makes a foray into the motorcycle forum. High horse must be on lockdown and bored. :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Another cyclist/cage driver makes a foray into the motorcycle forum. High horse must be on lockdown and bored. :p:p:p

Poster on Motorcycle Forum calls for ban on Motorcycles.

UP NEXT: The Facebook campaign to ban the internet gathers momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

H_Lime wrote: »

Let's do it. Literally a waste of space. And we'd have more room for eco-friendly filtering. And the Greens would learn to love bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, using China as an example that it works. One city in China has many times the population of all of Ireland. There are very few bikes in Ireland and even fewer commuters, the difference would be negligible but many lives would be saved.

I've lived in many cities in China. While some discourage motorised 2 wheeled transport it is still very common and something the authorities cannot stop. It can take 7 years and a lottery to be allowed to drive a car in Beijing. The electric scooter is exceptionally popular in China (200+m), quiet and lethal to pedestrians. These all fall into a grey area as many are not registered.

iB_L-fyuvimu2347023.jpg

High end bikes (european, Japanese) are becoming more popular. Even the Bejing police are getting in on the act now.

be2e7896-d5ca-48a3-bb22-f0589f8b5bbe.jpg

Bikes are the way to go to solve traffic gridlock and pollution in large cities. I expect cars to be banned from Chinese cities before any bike ban will be enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

schaffer wrote: »
    I've lived in many cities in China. While some discourage motorised 2 wheeled transport it is still very common and something the authorities cannot stop. It can take 7 years and a lottery to be allowed to drive a car in Beijing. The electric scooter is exceptionally popular in China (200+m), quiet and lethal to pedestrians. These all fall into a grey area as many are not registered.

iB_L-fyuvimu2347023.jpg

High end bikes (european, Japanese) are becoming more popular. Even the Bejing police are getting in on the act now.

be2e7896-d5ca-48a3-bb22-f0589f8b5bbe.jpg

Bikes are the way to go to solve traffic gridlock and pollution in large cities. I expect cars to be banned from Chinese cities before any bike ban will be enforced.

False, if you look at videos, you can see that there are almost no bikes in these cities so the law is not ignored. I recommend serptenza for proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

OK, so the chap who lived there is wrong. You sir need a hobby. This has you written all over it
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/99-gsxr1300-hayabusa/24781062

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

False, if you look at videos, you can see that there are almost no bikes in these cities so the law is not ignored. I recommend serptenza for proof.

This from someone who is probably an armchair wannabe biker.
    I have seen it with my own eyes. I have friends who are Chinese bikers.
    Hell, I can even google it. Not that hard to check facts mate.

You aren't by any chance Trump's long lost muppet of a son?
    Fake news, fake new..... nothing to see here

H_Lime wrote: »
    OK, so the chap who lived there is wrong. You sir need a hobby. This has you written all over it
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/99-gsxr1300-hayabusa/24781062

You tell me. Who I will believe some imaginary chap who lies or a person who has video evidence and lives there for years?

https://youtu.be/E5RVrGQGoIQ

schaffer wrote: »
    This from someone who is probably an armchair wannabe biker.
    I have seen it with my own eyes. I have friends who are Chinese bikers.
    Hell, I can even google it. Not that hard to check facts mate.

You aren't by any chance Trump's long lost muppet of a son?
    Fake news, fake new..... nothing to see here

Who said there aren't any bikers??? Tell me who!
    My god, the phrase people will believe what they want to believe couldn't be better applied here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Well many of the cites in China have managed to remove a large number of smaller scooters. But motorbikes are still legal I believe but they are not as popular of course.

To claim they did this for health and safety reasons is preposterous.

You tell me. Who I will believe some imaginary chap who lies or a person who has video evidence and lives there for years?

https://youtu.be/E5RVrGQGoIQ

You'll love the busa man. Tons of torque. Everywhere👌

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

I know the Wicklow hills like the back of my hand. I have been riding them for a long, long time, sometimes every day in the Summer, certainly 3-4 times every week. I have never seen a speed trap van on the lesser roads EVER.

Today, on the R759 heading from Sally Gap towards Manor Kilbride I came across one. Nobody in the cab so I took it he was working. I took evasive action because I knew I had been 1 or 2 kms over the limit!!

But, tell me, when did this start on such roads?

Here's where it was...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1493666,-6.328801,3a,75y,303.51h,79.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqjwXhhFQYsYB9l07I6lEDQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Speed trap van on the R759 you say?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Public transport is much safer then motorbikes. If all motorbikes were banned then all the yearly deaths from motorbike accidents would be reduced to 0. Motorbikes are not essential transport, everywhere you can use a motorbike, you can also use a car or public transport.

Many major chinese cities banned all motorbike travel and they are flourishing.

So to save lives, I recommend to ban motorbikes because I can guarantee you that it would save many lives. China proves that it can be done, even in massive cities with populations of many millions they do well without any bikes. Use a bus or a car as last resort.

Cars kill way more people than motorbikes. Why don't we ban cars and then the roads would be safer for vulnerable road users and it would drastically improve public transport efficiency.

Or we could just leave it as is and be happy that we have the same or even lower fatality rates compared to other developed countries.

Or we could just leave it as is and be happy that we have the same or even lower fatality rates compared to other developed countries.

Which ones? Ireland is the most dangerous country for motorbikes in Europe.

Not even anywhere near the most dangerous in the EU and if you take Europe as a whole we are far safer than most.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/sites/roadsafety/files/pdf/statistics/dacota/bfs2017_motomoped.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

seems very 'opiniony'...... like alot 'opiniony'.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Maybe started when bikers started speeding there?

But they can't catch bikes unless you're going away from rear of the van, but by that time you can slow down.

But they can't catch bikes unless you're going away from rear of the van, but by that time you can slow down.
    Tis just so unfair!!!

• Advertisement

Is that actually true?

Reason I ask is that I had that on the Rock Road in Dublin a few days back. I'd never seen a camera van there before. If he got me coming towards him, I'm a gonner. If he could only get me after I'd passed him, I'm totally innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Breezin wrote: »
    Is that actually true?

Reason I ask is that I had that on the Rock Road in Dublin a few days back. I'd never seen a camera van there before. If he got me coming towards him, I'm a gonner. If he could only get me after I'd passed him, I'm totally innocent.

It'll only get you if you're riding away from the rear of the van, not the front. There is a camera front facing but its CCTV for crew protection only.

Breezin wrote: »
    Is that actually true?

Unless you have a number plate on the front of your bike. That big ass camera only fits in the back.

It'll only get you if you're riding away from the rear of the van, not the front. There is a camera front facing but its CCTV for crew protection only.

Just wheelie past them!
    F*CK em, money grabbers.

Good to hear. I can't afford more penalty points!

blade1 wrote: »
    Just wheelie past them!
    F*CK em, money grabbers.

It appears that my tax disc has fallen a bit recently. Need to fix that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

blade1 wrote: »
    Just wheelie past them!
    F*CK em, money grabbers.

I hate the cvnts, and I've cut down on wheelies lol

I was leaving work at the same time as two lads on the work bikes were leaving, they pulled in behind me thinking I'd wheelie, I didn't. I was a little bit proud of myself lol

The big GS wheelies handy enough (most bikes do) and comes down nice and easy. Worst bike I had for wheelies was my Z1000, you were taking your life into your hands if you tried a first gear wheelie on it (Jap IL4 litre bikes should never need first gear for wheelies), and if you came down too hard it was like getting a kick in the nuts, and I'm not even joking!. I'd a few painful one's :o

It appears that my tax disc has fallen a bit recently. Need to fix that.

Tax,what's that? :pac:

I hate the cvnts, and I've cut down on wheelies lol

I was leaving work at the same time as two lads on the work bikes were leaving, they pulled in behind me thinking I'd wheelie, I didn't. I was a little bit proud of myself lol

The big GS wheelies handy enough (most bikes do) and comes down nice and easy. Worst bike I had for wheelies was my Z1000, you were taking your life into your hands if you tried a first gear wheelie on it (Jap IL4 litre bikes should never need first gear for wheelies), and if you came down too hard it was like getting a kick in the nuts, and I'm not even joking!. I'd a few painful one's :o

The joys of light V twins... 3rd gear wheelies.
    Smooth as Silk!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement