Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Housing For Single Person

• 18-10-2020 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi lovelies,
    Has anyone heard of a single person getting social housing/1 bedroom flat I presume? I know every case is different but I haven't seen much on 1 bedrooms here on boards even though there seems to be a 1 bedroom flat available on south dublin choice based letting...just wondering if there's any point in adding the property to my basket having been on the waiting list for 3 years since 2018 and approved for medical grounds as far as I know.

Any Thoughts would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Singlet people do get housed regularly ,

Especially the likes of cluid and other housing bodies they like having mixed developments singles, familiar, older persons ,
    Keep applying you have nothing to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

Gatling wrote: »
    Singlet people do get housed regularly ,

Especially the likes of cluid and other housing bodies they like having mixed developments singles, familiar, older persons ,
    Keep applying you have nothing to lose

Thank you Gatling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

If you are a female you have a chance if you are a male you have very little hope .

LuasSimon wrote: »
    If you are a female you have a chance if you are a male you have very little hope .

Hmm..I am still waiting on a reply. Is it just me or does the council make it hard to contact them for any information about the housing list. I feel like this is done on purpose so that people are left hanging without knowledge of their position or average waiting time on the list. It's driving me demented not knowing about my future but more importantly whether or not I even stand a chance of a getting a home as a single person.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hmm..I am still waiting on a reply. Is it just me or does the council make it hard to contact them for any information about the housing list. I feel like this is done on purpose so that people are left hanging without knowledge of their position or average waiting time on the list. It's driving me demented not knowing about my future but more importantly whether or not I even stand a chance of a getting a home as a single person.

You just have to keep applying for properties on the cbl ,but depending on your circumstances , unless diagnosised with a potentially terminal illness you could well be looking at another 7 + years especially in South Dublin , something like 10,000 currently on their list , but single people do get housed , when they built the majority of the social housing stock it was geared towards families with children ,
    Since the crash a few years ago , we've seen a lot more social apartments built and purchased which are more suitable to single , older and young families with one or two kids ,
    For years single men didn't get priority it wasn't because of their sex but more to do with housed on your needs so a single man with no children wasn't going to be given a 3/4 bed house with gardens ,but due to a shortage of one /two bed properties they were left waiting but so did families and people needing housing with adaptions for medical needs ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

LuasSimon wrote: »
    if you are a male you have very little hope .

Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Friend of mine, male, got offered one bedroomed social housing this week, 11 yrs on waiting list.

phormium wrote: »
    Friend of mine, male, got offered one bedroomed social housing this week, 11 yrs on waiting list.

Wow, that's a long time...jesus..a big congratulations to him so. Might I ask which local authority housing list he was on and which area did he get? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

..... having been on the waiting list for 3 years since 2018 .......

That's a mathematical impossibility!

Advertisement