Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wax jacket smell

Options
  • 15-10-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this, but I have a Barbour wax jacket that’s only about four years old. Now granted I didn’t wear it at all last year and that’s probably where my problem lies. I reckon I left it back in while it was still wet and so the smell started to muster. I had it under the stairs and only took it out recently and it has the most rancid mouldy smell, although with no visible mould mind you.

I adore the jacket and it cost a lot so I’m not inclined to get rid of it. Does anyone know how I might get the smell out of it? The instructions sewn into the inside of the jacket strictly advise against washing the jacket as it will remove the wax coating, and it can’t be reapplied. I’ve tried washing it down with a sponge and soapy water, and one tip online suggested hanging it in a bin bag with cat litter at the bottom to absorb the smell. Did both and it’s still ponging! Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

White vinegar spray is good for mould, but then you might smell like a bag of chips.

Steam clean maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Possibly the inside is musty,i might be turning it inside out and try cleaning with the power of steam.
    Test on the lower back first.

Advertisement