Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Natwest considering closing Ulster Bank in the ROI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

'Competition' in a 'market' dominated by Government owned banks. Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Business Post reports here (paywall) that a decision on the future of the bank will be made by the end of October.

Nobody sensible will start a mortgage application process with Ulster Bank until there is clarity.

Several media reports today say that closure is the most likely option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

JTMan wrote: »
    The Business Post reports here (paywall) that a decision on the future of the bank will be made by the end of October.

Nobody sensible will start a mortgage application process with Ulster Bank until there is clarity.

Several media reports today say that closure is the most likely option.

They wouldn't have let it be known they were considering closure unless they are actually going to do it. It is a virtually self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

For a bank potentially leaving the market, they've launched a green loan - jumping on the bandwagon.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/ulster-bank-to-launch-new-green-mortgage-39578820.html?__twitter_impression=true

For a bank potentially leaving the market, they've launched a green loan - jumping on the bandwagon.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/ulster-bank-to-launch-new-green-mortgage-39578820.html?__twitter_impression=true

Their new green mortgage offers a worse rate than their non-green-only two year fixed rate. Also the rate is significantly above the Avant Card rate of 1.95%.

One can do better than choosing this new product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Their new green mortgage offers a worse rate than their non-green-only two year fixed rate. Also the rate is significantly above the Avant Card rate of 1.95%.

Probably just need to be seen doing some form of marketing.

Love their slogan - the Lowest 4 year fixed rate on the market. Considering they are the only bank with a 4 year fixed rate, they could charge 10% and that statement would be true.

But if they close, I would suspect that they will keep a office function here for certain business dealings and possibly also a mortgage management.

Another option which was mentioned was that they would become a mortgage bank and close all other aspects of the operation. That could make sense of all the continued advertising of mortgages

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭theboringfox

But a longer term on fix is always dearer. That is same for all the banks. Avant rate is based on way lower LTV to qualify.

Avant rate is based on way lower LTV to qualify.

Huh? The Avant Money LTV max is 60%. The Ulster Bank LTV max with their green product is 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Huh? The Avant Money LTV max is 60%. The Ulster Bank LTV max with their green product is 60%.

My error. Thought it was 40% ltv. That is a really good offer. Take up must be great

Cerberus are considering purchasing Ulster Bank’s €20.5bn mortgage book in the Republic according to The Irish Times report here.

Adds a little more weight to the chances of UB exiting the Irish market.

I wonder if a decision will be made around the long weekend at the end of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Cerberus are considering purchasing Ulster Bank’s €20.5bn mortgage book in the Republic according to The Irish Times report here.

Adds a little more weight to the chances of UB exiting the Irish market.

I wonder if a decision will be made around the long weekend at the end of this month.

I would think the decision is already made.

I would think the decision is already made.

Agreed. I should have said that perhaps an announcement, rather than a decision, will be occur in and around the long weekend. It was previously reported that it will occur before the end of October.

Then, assuming UB are going as appears to be the case, the scramble will start for UB depositors and current account holders to find a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're still advertising for mortgages on the radio. I mean you'd be nuts to take out a mortgage with them when they've said they might be leaving, I hope they're telling any applicants this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Wonder how they would deal with the old Offset mortgages that are linked to deposit and current accounts? The offsetting of the credit balance of the linked accounts against the mortgage balance was their main benefit, if they sell the mortgage bit what happens the existing terms of the offsetting!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Q&A

phormium wrote: »
    Wonder how they would deal with the old Offset mortgages that are linked to deposit and current accounts? The offsetting of the credit balance of the linked accounts against the mortgage balance was their main benefit, if they sell the mortgage bit what happens the existing terms of the offsetting!

Well if the current account is closed (buy them) there's nothing to offset against the mortgage. Problem solved for them! I doubt that would happen though. Presume offset mortgages (current account element anyway) counts as some form of deposit account. For that cerebus (or whoever purchases it) would need a banking license. Probably so few accounts it wouldn't be worth their while getting one. Nat West would know this so imagine they'd just keep those mortgages on their books and move them to the UK and let them run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Have one of them originaly with first active and now UB intresting to see what going to happen.

But if they just closed your linked current account aren't they breaking the terms you took out the mortgage on, the whole point of it is the offsetting.

I imagine as you say they would just run them from UK, there can't be that many left at this stage, mine has another 7 or 8 yrs to run I think and I pay no interest thanks to the offsetting.

I know they made a change to the t&cs of the original CAM current account mortgage when they changed it to an Offset mortgage, one of the features relating to repayment choices was removed, can't remember exactly but think we got something in exchange for signing away that feature, definitely had to sign something so hardly did it for no benefit!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Q&A

But if they just closed your linked current account aren't they breaking the terms you took out the mortgage on, the whole point of it is the offsetting.

I imagine as you say they would just run them from UK, there can't be that many left at this stage, mine has another 7 or 8 yrs to run I think and I pay no interest thanks to the offsetting.

I know they made a change to the t&cs of the original CAM current account mortgage when they changed it to an Offset mortgage, one of the features relating to repayment choices was removed, can't remember exactly but think we got something in exchange for signing away that feature, definitely had to sign something so hardly did it for no benefit!

I can't remember where I saw it but there was talk that any wind down would take 6+ years might tie in with the terms left on the offset accounts

Maybe so, they were on offer for a good while after I took out mine, FA gone since 2009/10 ish but I'd say the Offset must have stopped same time as trackers in 2008 as it was a tracker rate so could still be longer terms around.

Sunday Business Post implies here that closure is highly likely. "Speculation is rife that the bank is preparing to close its 80-plus Irish branches". Meeting with government minsters in the coming days. Sounds like a precursor to the closure announcement.

• Advertisement

The Irish Times have re-stated Natwest stance on this which is "in the event of any changes being made to our strategy, these would be undertaken with full consideration of any impact on customers, colleagues and shareholders in the first instance”.

Not exactly a denial that closure will happen. I would guess that transalation of that statement is that closure is happening but there is lots of planning to do on impacts for customers, staff etc and they are currently in planning mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

With trackers being such a distastful product for banks at the moment.. Think we're on ECB + 0.75%

Are these likely to be sold to a vulture fund ??

ITs a good loan as never missed or late payment...

Would a vulture fund be more open to a cheeky offer to pay it off on the cheap ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

_Brian wrote: »
    With trackers being such a distastful product for banks at the moment.. Think we're on ECB + 0.75%

Are these likely to be sold to a vulture fund ??

ITs a good loan as never missed or late payment...

Would a vulture fund be more open to a cheeky offer to pay it off on the cheap ??

This comes up all the time. Why would the 'vulture' fund be interested in a deal. They have bought the loan at a discount that is now likely profitable to them. You are paying the loan off diligently and therefore at no additional cost to them. Would you do a deal in these circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Tracker mortgages are profitable, even at 0.75%.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Doodah7 wrote: »
    This comes up all the time. Why would the 'vulture' fund be interested in a deal. They have bought the loan at a discount that is now likely profitable to them. You are paying the loan off diligently and therefore at no additional cost to them. Would you do a deal in these circumstances?
    Geuze wrote: »
    Tracker mortgages are profitable, even at 0.75%.

Thats fair enough...
    Can't blame a fella for wishin..

Have cash in the bank.. at current interest rates doesnt seem any use to pay it off unless i got a decent discount..

Ulster bank are still advertising their mortgages. Trying to build up a nice portfolio to sell on to the vulture fund.

Thats fair enough...
    Can't blame a fella for wishin..

Have cash in the bank.. at current interest rates doesnt seem any use to pay it off unless i got a decent discount..

If you are not earning more interest on your funds on deposit than the interest rate of your mortgage, then it makes no sense to be paying the higher interest mortgage loan.

You will get a better 'return' on your money by clearing your mortgage.

Ulster bank are still advertising their mortgages. Trying to build up a nice portfolio to sell on to the vulture fund.

And this is pure rubbish...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ah yes the cunning plan to bankrupt the bank and sell the loan book to a vulture fund.... now why has no one thought of that????

• Advertisement

Charlie Weston in the Indo on the latest on this here. One comment jumped out at me: "Ulster Bank executives were told staff and customers must be told quickly if there is any decision to shut the bank down."

Is the Minister saying that knowing that the review outcome is about to be published? Media reports said it would be before the end of October.

Advertisement