Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

I would heavily suspect your flights will be cancelled this week along with others on the west coast. Seem to be promoting east coast - JFK Newark, Boston & Orlando heavily with suspiciously obvious absence of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Aer Lingus announced what routes they’ll operating this winter, they specifically didn’t mention any west coast destinations so that can be ruled out for the foreseeable I’d say. The press release was confirmation.

https://mediacentre.aerlingus.com/news/01102021/usa-all-the-way-aer-lingus-takes-off-for-newark-and-orlando

They’d want to be quick though, with United confirming SFO for next summer, it leaves Aer Lingus looking uncertain while facing new competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Crazy that we're a week into October and the US restrictions relaxation date for "early November " has yet to be confirmed. That must be playing havoc with transatlantic flight timetable scheduling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Weirdly internally, SFO is penned as Dec re-launch. Some flights are near sold out for the route near Christmas so it'll be back alright, as for LAX/SEA I'd imagine Q2 2022. Odd that they omit though from the press release as you refer.

Maybe it’s only a temporary return for the Christmas peak so don’t want to do the big announcement, particularly if flights are already near full?

A full time return to the west coast would otherwise warrant an announcement of some sort I would have though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shamrockj

Indeed DUB-SFO is bookable from the 12th of December and a lot of the inbound legs are near full. It looks like it’s only open for booking for the Christmas period at the moment up till the middle of January with a return the end of February but that could all change as we know !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My friend had is SFO flights in February cancelled yesterday. He is now beyond pissed off with EI. He was fine with it up to now as could understand with the US restrictions, but not next February.

This was his second lot of flights cancelled after an EU return was cancelled and messed up over the summer. He's an "EI man" and with the actual flights he did take since the return, they had no alcohol drinks on board by the time the trolley got to him or food worth talking about. Needless to say, EI will be steered clear for him going forward.

Not sure how many EI people there are left, current Management of the operation is an utter shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

I am supposed to be flying direct to Miami from Dublin in December and am yet to hear anything from EI even though the flight has clearly been cancelled. Flights have not been bookable for weeks. And yet they are contacting people who are due to fly elsewhere in February confirming cancellations. The mind boggles...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

they might be able to offer an alternative route so it’s possible that you’ll be moved to a flight to JFK and given a connection? So they’re waiting to see how the land lies before confirming as such?

• Advertisement

Perhaps. Good point. What is interesting is that on flyertalk there is a new post today which lists all of the transatlantic cancellations for the next few months. Miami is not mentioned at all. A number of flights have now been cancelled to SFO over Christmas period.

Actually Flyertalk is saying that the Miami flights have been cancelled since 24 August! Ridiculous that they have known since then and I still haven’t received notification of cancellation.

In all honestly I assumed Miami was one of the two route axed indefinitely post-pandemic, the other being Minneapolis.

I was surprised to see it return to the booking engine so early on considering its relative weakness in its early days of operation, it had only really started coming into its own when the pandemic struck.

As for the other “cancellations” being reported elsewhere, it’s a mess and could be so easily avoided if they just kept them off sale instead of loading entire preliminarily schedules and making them available to book when it’s clear they weren’t going to be operated!

Is this down to the ancient IT systems they operate? It seems they load these preliminary schedules which feature pretty much every route on a basic operating schedule and then tweak them at a later date, contacting passengers at an even later date. It’s a recipe for disaster, possibly the quickest way to cause passenger dissatisfaction and tarnish the brand with reliability issues.

If Aer Lingus had kept these flights off sale in the first place, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Does anyone know if any EI aircraft were painted in the new livery during the pandemic? I know there used to be a list but assumed cash was preserved over the last 18 months but maybe some were due painting and were done?

Nope, nothing was repainted it seems. In fact most A320 aircraft that were repainted in the new livery are now flying with some form of mismatched engine cowlings, I think only EI-DVL and EI-DVN still have their fully teal engines.

I wonder if they’ll restart the painting schedule this winter or delay it until next year again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

This is the key point.

Don't sell flights => nobody complains.

Sell flights and cancel them later => irritated customers.

Meanwhile I'm travelling Ryanair next month.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

You should get one 6-8 weeks before departure and yes the airline should be handling the situation better. Lynne might get around to addressing it one day.

_____

On another note looks like Aer Lingus UK will operate on December 25th (westbound to JFK/MCO). I notice this year no eastbound on December 25th as all westbound on the 24th have been cancelled from DUB.

They aren't planning any Christmas Trips for Crew, hence those cancellations. Really bizarre behaviour if you ask me with the customer.

I did wonder if this year might be the one where Ireland caught up with the rest of the world and started offering flights on Christmas Day.

At the risk of being a little flippant, it's not like crew have had a shortage of days off this year.

It's nothing to do with EI that flights can't be operated to/from ROI on Christmas Day.

• Advertisement

I asked Dublin Airport about this a few years ago and was told that they ask their airline customers each year if there's desire to operate over Christmas, and make a decision based on that. I had trouble believing it then given their customers included dozens of airlines that did operate....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Dublin is closed on 25th

EI traditionally flew out on 24th, aircraft stay overnight at the outstation and return to Dublin on the 25th, arriving on the 26th, there was a fairly comprehensive first wave out. The airport was very quiet on the 26th, I think I was first person to into the lounge

Having to overnight multiple jets and crews in the US, no doubt there is a premium paid etc, just not worth the hassle.

Ryanair in the past didn't have any flights before 9am, the departure board empty of FR flights was something to see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

That would be disappointing if Miami was indefinitrly cancelled. I flew it in 2019 and the plane was full. It seemed mostly non irish as I think a lot of transit passengers used it from Europe. I hope it resumes soon. A handy link if I ever make a trip to South America!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yes and Ryanair also finish up early on Xmas eve too! Over the years I found myself needing to come home last minute on the evening of Xmas eve, nothing or little from Ryanair from about 2pm onwards on that day.

I think that displays that demand for travel on the day of the 25th must be very very low in Ireland.

I don't think anyone can make a reliable prediction for demand on the 25th since there have been no flights out of Ireland on that day for as long as anyone can remember. Meanwhile flights operate from more or less everywhere else on this planet....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah no doubt a few probably could operate, but I don’t think there is the demand in the UK and Ireland for much travel that day. I’m basing this off the fact the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet don’t operate on Xmas day in the UK for example. And it’s not an issue of the airport not being open. As some other flights do. These profit driven airlines choose not operate on this day. If there was cash to be made you can be sure they wouldn’t miss a trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I've flown several times on the 26th (VIE/HAM/TXL/DUS) and it that was 50% load factor at best, its borderline at best commercially to fly and it really only worked due the TATL connections

I cannot see the 25th working at all, Europe has a very different take on Christmas vs Ireland, far less of a shutdown.

Covid has knocked back any chance of the 25th happening for several years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Actually, take a look at the shorthaul flights across western Europe on Flightradar 24 on December 25th. While there are some flights, they are very much reduced in number, and most from GB are to sun destinations. It is anything but a normal day.

There is no public transport operating either on Christmas Day in Ireland. I think that it is fair to say that unlilke other European countries, Ireland as a country closes down on Christmas Day. I really don't see that changing anytime soon.

As for Ryanair, they finish early on Christmas Eve, so that staff can actually enjoy Christmas Day.

Very true, start later on Stephen's Day too and do a similar operation on NYE and NYD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'm sure there is a cost to it however I would be skeptical that savings would be substantial. Maybe the demand just isn't there and forward bookings are poor but they appear to have made the decision before the US announcement.

Indeed the 26th is quiet and to be honest of all years, I would have taught EI would have done a late start and cut costs. With no T/A arrivals it would make sense. First flights still out a 06.15 and as the 26th falls on a Sunday I expect it to be even quiet than if it was a weekday.

No real opinion of flying on December 25th, its generally budget friendly to the consumer so an airline like Aer Lingus would lose money on short haul apart from maybe ACE.

Curious to see if UK arm actually operates. If I was a consumer I wouldn't trust EI with a 25th booking.

Advertisement