Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Perhaps time to change the thread title to "Coronavirus, future complications on Aviation"

Even if this current crisis passes by the end of the summer, I think it has caused a lot of people to reconsider how much they actually need to travel, certainly businesses will be looking at cost savings for those on travel for work, and the greater use of teleconferencing etc..

The public at large after the peak of the crisis, and keeping in mind climate/environmental concerns, will also take a long time to regain lost confidence to get on multiple flights per year.

Larger airline companies may merge and become one with other large carriers in order to survive, smaller carriers will do the same or go bankrupt... Boeing may have to be broken up and sold off, Airbus may cut down/suspend production across all models....

I don't think we'll truly know the full impact until after the summer season, but i'm predicting a very different aviation landscape than the one we've been used to...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Perhaps one plus of the virus is the overnight Brent Crude Oil crash, will it lower aviation fuel bills slightly and help struggling airlines?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

GM228 wrote: »
    Perhaps one plus of the virus is the overnight Brent Crude Oil crash, will it lower aviation fuel bills slightly and help struggling airlines?

Not to the extent required by them. No point hedging fuel for flights that may never occur.

They will have to start rationalisation of sectors and setting a minimum load factor to avoid burning too much cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not to the extent required by them. No point hedging fuel for flights that may never occur.

They will have to start rationalisation of sectors and setting a minimum load factor to avoid burning too much cash.

Down 30% overnight...
    There's got to be some opportunities there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

It seems confirmed now that Lufthansa will temporarily ground it's fleet of 14 A380s. Virgin has brought forward the retirement of their last 3 A340-600s to this week.

I believe EI are looking volunteers for unpaid leave in roles across the operation including aircrew. :(

Lets not jump the gun on EI flight crew just now as nothing has been published. I understand there is a meeting this week to discuss this very issue. Willie Walsh has gone on record stating that he wants the airlines within IAG to be ready for the rebound and the EI CEO said the same late last week on an internal newsfeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Just to note EI has been understaffed through 2018/19, issues with pilot hours etc had led to issues, flights cancelled, flights operated by other carriers (Titan etc) to cover.

Load factors are not too bad on primary route such as LHR

The real point where this hinges is the civil service. Currently there is NO travel ban in force within the civil service apart from to locations the DFA has red flagged. If the civil service stop flying it will be a blood bath.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The civil service? How many of the 500K civil servants in the country actually travel for work? Very few I'd say. Private business numbers would vastly outnumber civil servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a massive gravy train to Brussels and other EU capitals

Civil service covers all the state bodies as well as the main departments. If they stop flying all the semi states follow

EI hold (or held) the UK civil service transport contract from London to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The civil service? How many of the 500K civil servants in the country actually travel for work? Very few I'd say. Private business numbers would vastly outnumber civil servants.

There are about 30k civil servants in the country.

The entire public sector would be about 350k.

I'd say easily 95% of them never fly anywhere for work. Probably more than that.

Life ain't always empty.

There is a massive gravy train to Brussels and other EU capitals

Civil service covers all the state bodies as well as the main departments. If they stop flying all the semi states follow

And it still wouldn't come anywhere near private business in numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

I am just looking for some advice,I hope its the right forum to ask.
    I am due to fly Aer Lingus to US early April.
    If my flight is to be cancelled,can I request to be pit on another route maybe a day or 2 later?Id still like to go somewhere if possible.
    Also,how would one get by if they were to pick up the virus and have to be quarantined in NYC for example?I know its unlikely to happen but still could.

I would think rent an air bnb for 2 weeks and get food delivered.

Hope it passes soon and too many people dont get affrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are approx 35k civil servants, maybe 40k max.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭zone 1

stobart air in trouble, or was it just flybe as we no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Geuze wrote: »
    There are approx 35k civil servants, maybe 40k max.

Well that just prove my point even more then doesn't it? (I was lumping all public and civil servants into the same group)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

As a matter of interest....... where does Ryanair park up its unused aircraft. I know usually parking up would be a Winter thing but if there decided to reduce capacity as a result of Covid-19 and park up a few planes - where would they do so??? I presume they have to pay parking charges wherever it is so there is going to be a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

howyanow wrote: »
    I am just looking for some advice,I hope its the right forum to ask.
    I am due to fly Aer Lingus to US early April.
    If my flight is to be cancelled,can I request to be pit on another route maybe a day or 2 later?Id still like to go somewhere if possible.
    Also,how would one get by if they were to pick up the virus and have to be quarantined in NYC for example?I know its unlikely to happen but still could.

I would think rent an air bnb for 2 weeks and get food delivered.

Hope it passes soon and too many people dont get affrected.

If it's canceled due to the coronavirus being particularly bad in the area of the US you're going to it would be foolish for you to go tbh.

If its canceled due to lack of demand because of the coronavirus and the destination isn't too bad, then go and take precautions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Down 30% overnight...
    There's got to be some opportunities there...
    Definitely time to lock in a price for future fuel. Ryanair could do very well here.

Masala wrote: »
    As a matter of interest....... where does Ryanair park up its unused aircraft. I know usually parking up would be a Winter thing but if there decided to reduce capacity as a result of Covid-19 and park up a few planes - where would they do so??? I presume they have to pay parking charges wherever it is so there is going to be a cost.

"park up" and "grounded" conjure up ideas of 5-6 aircraft parked in the corner of an airport.
    In reality what they would do is fly all their aircraft a little less then usual. So maybe if the have a base with 6 aircaft and instead of each one doing 6 sectors a day, they will operate 4 sectors a day.
    Thus this action is equivalent to "parking" 1/3 of their fleet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

Kev11491 wrote: »
    If it's canceled due to the coronavirus being particularly bad in the area of the US you're going to it would be foolish for you to go tbh.

If its canceled due to lack of demand because of the coronavirus and the destination isn't too bad, then go and take precautions.

Thanks for your reply.
    I wouldnt go to the US but was thinking if they would offer a seat to Portugal/Canaries as an alternative id be happy with that.

Listening to the radio this morning they were saying that if a "Treatment" for CV19 is found by end of next month that this should put some confidence back into the consumer market and airlines would introduce massive seat sales to try and restart the market again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Listening to the radio this morning they were saying that if a "Treatment" for CV19 is found by end of next month that this should put some confidence back into the consumer market and airlines would introduce massive seat sales to try and restart the market again...

That "IF" is huge though, i thought the talk was of months or years for a treatment/vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭DubDani

BA just announced the cancellation of all Flights to Italy for the next 3 weeks.

Aer Lingus & Ryanair can't be far behind, especially with the latest Government advice to avoid all travel to Italy.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    That "IF" is huge though, i thought the talk was of months or years for a treatment/vaccine?

Yes, a treatment is something that helps the patient manage the disease, in Japan they are testing a drug made to fight against HIV to see if it's effective in managing the effects of the virus on the body for example.

a Vaccine is different in that it builds a persons immunity to the virus and prevents them getting it in the first place, this may not be full released until early 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Yes, a treatment is something that helps the patient manage the disease, in Japan they are testing a drug made to fight against HIV to see if it's effective in managing the effects of the virus on the body for example.

a Vaccine is different in that it builds a persons immunity to the virus and prevents them getting it in the first place, this may not be full released until early 2021.

The testing requirements (pre clinical and clinical) make those timescales unlikely for new treatments but afaik if a treatment is already licensed (HIV mentioned above but I've also seen rheumatoid arthritis drugs mentioned) they can accelerate the process as side effects etc are already known.

Caranica wrote: »
    The testing requirements (pre clinical and clinical) make those timescales unlikely for new treatments but afaik if a treatment is already licensed (HIV mentioned above but I've also seen rheumatoid arthritis drugs mentioned) they can accelerate the process as side effects etc are already known.

I'm not a Medical Doctor so I don't know any further technical details. I can only tell you what I heard this morning.

News of a treatment will signal a pivot point, and return public confidence again... at which point major sales will occur to get passengers flying...

I'm not a Medical Doctor so I don't know any further technical details. I can only tell you what I heard this morning.

News of a treatment will signal a pivot point, and return public confidence again... at which point major sales will occur to get passengers flying...

I used to work in the field, though not a doctor. It can take up to 5 years for a compound to clear the required tests which is why the best chance is to find an already licensed drug that is effective. It still will have to be cleared by the regulators but it's a much less onerous task.

I agree that anything that boosts consumer confidence is good for the aviation industry. If anyone is to consider picking up some of the Flybe ex Ireland routes they need to be sure of demand and at the moment there's little to none.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Caranica wrote: »

It’s a good opportunity for them really, similar to Flybe they’re not in great shape anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Nibs05 wrote: »

Aer lingus can't be far behind, i flew back Saturday and there was about 6 of us on the flight (Self isolating now before anyone gives me sh!t about it)

Advertisement