Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dodgy characters of the Crypto boom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

What do you know about democracy? That you can take advantage of and debase it in it's current form?

zT5bbOq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Justin Sun just paid $4 million to have lunch with Warren Buffett. I very much doubt the Oracle of Omaha is going to change his opinion on the basis of that encounter!! :D
    What is guaranteed is Mr. Sun will be making all kinds of wild claims as an outcome to that meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

Justin Sun just paid $4 million to have lunch with Warren Buffett. I very much doubt the Oracle of Omaha is going to change his opinion on the basis of that encounter!! :D
    What is guaranteed is Mr. Sun will be making all kinds of wild claims as an outcome to that meeting.
    What's just as bad is, he had been tweeting about some big news he can possibly announce for days, and the news. He's having lunch. Someone needs to ban him from Twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Lads what's with the posts on the voting and what relevance have they to this thread

lostboy75 wrote: »
    What's just as bad is, he had been tweeting about some big news he can possibly announce for days, and the news. He's having lunch. Someone needs to ban him from Twitter...

For that reason (and the fact that he's lied about the origins of the project), he (and the project he's backing) holds no credibility for me. His pimping of stuff he's done so many times, it means that you can't believe a word (or tweet) that comes from him now...even if there may be something tangible behind individual utterances.

I really liked the approach with Bittorrent - to me its a very interesting project. If it wasn't for Tron/Sun, I'd look at it in a lot more detail. I'm still curious as to how that will all pan out ...but just looking as a bystander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Have a read of his official medium post regarding the lunch. Very well put and explained.

https://medium.com/@Tronfoundation/an-open-letter-to-the-community-warren-buffett-charity-lunch-8c5bf25d4fe8

For that reason (and the fact that he's lied about the origins of the project), he (and the project he's backing) holds no credibility for me. His pimping of stuff he's done so many times, it means that you can't believe a word (or tweet) that comes from him now...even if there may be something tangible behind individual utterances.

I really liked the approach with Bittorrent - to me its a very interesting project. If it wasn't for Tron/Sun, I'd look at it in a lot more detail. I'm still curious as to how that will all pan out ...but just looking as a bystander.

Here's his original tweet from a few days ago.

https://twitter.com/justinsuntron/status/1134653263855251456?s=19

Is it his fault that people jump all over it and play to the 'buy the rumor sell the news' nonsense. I reckon Sun is an ethernal optimist and sees many of his moves and announcements as 'big and exciting' for his long term vision of blockchain and Tron. 'Speculators' want to see the big pump, make their money and get out. When this doesn't happen they sh1t all over the project calling it a scam etc.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Is it his fault that people jump all over it and play to the 'buy the rumor sell the news' nonsense. I reckon Sun is an ethernal optimist and sees many of his moves and announcements as 'big and exciting' for his long term vision of blockchain and Tron. 'Speculators' want to see the big pump, make their money and get out. When this doesn't happen they sh1t all over the project calling it a scam etc.
    Of course there is over exuberance in the marketplace but Sun knows this well. The position he holds in the industry comes with responsibility. Perhaps you are right - but I really, really doubt it.

Furthermore, he has consistently lied re. the Tron whitepaper.

I have not read the two links you provided as a long time ago, I took the decision not to read Tron and J.Sun related news (for the most part). He could have a great approach in terms of this 'initiative' - but his credibility is already shot.

I have not read the two links you provided as a long time ago, I took the decision not to read Tron and J.Sun related news (for the most part).

So you just pick up on the sh1te posted here and elsewhere by the loudest imbeciles? Not exactly the greatest tactic. I would suggest reading the short medium article to potentially provide you with a more balanced opinion on his reasons for spending $4.6m for the opportunity to lunch with Warren Buffet.

So you just pick up on the sh1te posted here and elsewhere by the loudest imbeciles? Not exactly the greatest tactic. I would suggest reading the short medium article to potentially provide you with a more balanced opinion on his reasons for spending $4.6m for the opportunity to lunch with Warren Buffet.

To answer you're question, I do form opinions based on the guys past actions and utterances. If I didn't believe re. his antics in relation to the whitepaper, perhaps I would see him as credible.

Are you holding any TRON or BTT?

• Advertisement

To answer you're question, I do form opinions based on the guys past actions and utterances. If I didn't believe re. his antics in relation to the whitepaper, perhaps I would see him as credible.

Are you holding any TRON or BTT?

Yes, I've been holding a small amount of TRX since around Oct/Nov 2017. I am just under break even point currently but I would have no intentions of selling for a number of years yet.

The white paper issue has been explained to death.

1. As far as I can recall the English translation (which is where the issues regarding plagiarism where) did not match the Chinese version.

2. Blockchain is all open source. Every new project is 'plagarised' to some extent.

3. 'If' they have copied elements of other projects they have advanced them a hell of a lot further and faster than any of those other supposed projects. Tron have hit or exceeded every timescale and project milestone they set themselves to date.

I neither buy more Trx off the back of his tweets, and I certainly don't buy off the fantasy rumours created by people desperate to get rich quick, nor do I sell on the 'inevitable' disappointing news.

From what I see if Tron it is a promising and rapidly progressing project, along with BTT. Sun's questionable tweeting aside I have no reason to doubt it's long term success.

@Whelo79: You may be right - perhaps there is mileage in the project. As I mentioned earlier, I was (and I am) intrigued by the move towards Bittorrent. As regards open source, no problem with that either. However, acknowledge. It's not so much that there was plagiarism - it's the continued denial....and it's what that means for someones credibility going forward.

I'd have looked a lot closer at BTT if it wasn't for this backdrop. And his intentions may be good re. this approach with Buffett but he has destroyed his own credibility already.

It's not so much that there was plagiarism - it's the continued denial....and it's what that means for someones credibility going forward.

I'd have looked a lot closer at BTT if it wasn't for this backdrop. And his intentions may be good re. this approach with Buffett but he has destroyed his own credibility already.

Again, I'd have to double check, but I can't be bothered to do so at the minute, however I am pretty positive the Chinese whitepaper and English translation did not match up. The 'plagarism' only existed in the english translation and this is something that was put down to improper/lazy translation by those responsible and came well in advance of Tron even having a working product.

And in regards to you stating "the continued denial" I haven't heard anything about it being brought up in probably a year (before/after they successfully launched their mainnet) other than the usually troll comments that comes with every Tron news/announcement/announcement of an announcement.

And in regards to you stating "the continued denial" I haven't heard anything about it being brought up in probably a year (before/after they successfully launched their mainnet) other than the usually troll comments that comes with every Tron news/announcement/announcement of an announcement.
    LINK

It's interesting that the article has multiple hyperlinked articles throughout it but yet none where Morris says "Which is obviously hard [to maintain], because there’s actual proof [of the plagiarism] out there.”

Maybe there is no proof???

And also, I said the accusation hasn't come up in probably a year. Morris has not worked with Sun/Tron/BitTorrent since July 2018.

It's interesting that the article has multiple hyperlinked articles throughout it but yet none where Morris says "Which is obviously hard [to maintain], because there’s actual proof [of the plagiarism] out there.”

Maybe there is no proof???
    I'm not about to go digging through stuff (nor do I claim to be any sort of expert on Tron - far from it). However, they rightly linked to information to back up what they used / stated in the article. They don't have to do so when they interview someone directly i.e. Morris' statements to them are a direct reference. Now if you're saying he's wrong or he's lying - maybe he is.
    And also, I said the accusation hasn't come up in probably a year. Morris has not worked with Sun/Tron/BitTorrent since July 2018.
    Ok, well that interview was in January - and naturally it refers to times past when he spoke of the whitepaper. There is some further info to be had in that in terms of his interaction with Sun on the matter.

That's if you find him credible. Perhaps he's got an axe to grind...you tell me.

I know little too nothing of Morris other than as a CEO or former CEO he is not acting in a very professional manner within that interview.

My only point here really is, don't take at face value all the tripe that is/has been going around about Tron and Sun. You know yourself people support their coins like it were there favourite football team.

I linked you a good article directly from Sun which explains why he bought this lunch (all of the costs he paid go directly to charity) and what value he believes it can bring to the world of crypto/blockchain. Read it, or not, that's up to your good self.

You know yourself people support their coins like it were there favourite football team.
    On that, we are entirely in agreement i.e. that it's next to impossible to figure out truth from lies in this space because everyone brings their own 'crypto baggage' into it.

I linked you a good article directly from Sun which explains why he bought this lunch (all of the costs he paid go directly to charity) and what value he believes it can bring to the world of crypto/blockchain. Read it, or not, that's up to your good self.
    I like the idea - it certainly can't do any damage from the point of 'rat poison squared'! However, I just wondered about the best man for the job and Justin wouldn't have been my first pick. :-)

He gets to invite 7 guests and he has said he will be bringing leaders from within the blockchain community. Here's hoping he gets some good people on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Justin Sun is class. My crypto hero.

• Advertisement

That on the assumption that anyone gives a monkeys as regards what you think here. Your social capital got spent up here a long time ago, buddy.

He gets to invite 7 guests and he has said he will be bringing leaders from within the blockchain community. Here's hoping he gets some good people on board.

McAfee. That Pomp dude. Dan Larimer, Brock Pierce, Instaste. Who else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

McAfee. That Pomp dude. Dan Larimer, Brock Pierce, Instaste. Who else?

You forgot paddy he is a leading figure in prediction algorithms.

You forgot paddy he is a leading figure in prediction algorithms.

Good point...send PPL and ^^ and guaranteed, Buffett would flip.

I won the prediction competition at Christmas so maybe I should attend? I’m also a fan of Justin Sun. Don’t want to sit near McAfee, Craig S Wright, Larimer though as I get the feeling any of them might suddenly stab you. Brock Pierce looks like the sort of shiny faced creep who would drop the hand. Maybe V Buterin. I could finish off all his lunch for him after he has had a spoonful of each course.

Is anyone following Craig Wright court case
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-06-28/self-proclaimed-bitcoin-inventor-says-fortune-inaccessible?__twitter_impression=true

Follow @CarolinaBolado on Twitter. She's a lawyer who's tweeting from the Court.

Is anyone following Craig Wright court case

It'd almost be sad if he wasn't such a cancerous bellend. He looks to be severely mentally ill but he makes it very difficult to conjure up any sympathy.

Good popcorn moments I guess?

grindle wrote: »
    Good popcorn moments I guess?

try this one...

"You throw another document in my courtroom you will be in handcuffs so fast your head will spin" -- Judge Reinhart

:D

CSW would probably like to think he's some kind of celestial being, yet there he is having to be told to act like a grown man instead of like a teenager.

What's up with the few people who believe him? They're aware of how important censorship resistance was to Satoshi yet this fûcknut shows up and says he always wanted it to be permissioned, NSA-friendly and free of criminality. Something no fungible money can ever be. His story makes zero sense. I'd suspect anybody who believes him might be needing a bib again someday soon. Crazy delusions.

• Advertisement

Here's Carolina's full recap of what happened in court
    https://www.law360.com/amp/articles/1169829?__twitter_impression=true

Advertisement