Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopian Airlines Crash/ B737MAX grounding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

RIP to all on board, this aircraft passed through Dublin on delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Absolutely heartbreaking to see this happen, may the 157 souls on board rest in peace after this awful tragic crash...

I hope that Boeing make some serious checks on all there Max aircraft, and ground them all until they are fully proven to be safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

Comhra wrote: »
    Company HQ is Chicago, aircraft are built in Seattle.

I'm sure people in the factory where this plane was made are also worried. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Absolutely heartbreaking to see this happen, may the 157 souls on board rest in peace after this awful tragic crash...

I hope that Boeing make some serious checks on all there Max aircraft, and ground them all until they are fully proven to be safe...
    They are fully proven to be safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Flying colleague was onboard going on days off, he leaves behind a wife and two kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

smurfjed wrote: »
    Flying colleague was onboard going on days off, he leaves behind a wife and two kids.

Absolutely terrible, condolences to his wife, kids and yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Condolences, was he the Irish national?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So very sorry to hear that. Words are never enough.

A friend of mine was on the Ethiopian from Dublin earlier this morning, landed in Addis just before the crash. His bags are missing, but I'm guessing he doesn't care too much about that now.

Condolences on the loss of your colleague.

was he the Irish national?
    No, Kenyan

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Rip and condolences.

I have flown and will be flying on this type of plane in the future. If it's the same situation as lion Air does that mean the pilots were not trained regarding the issue? Re false sensor readings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Limpy wrote: »
    Rip and condolences.

I have flown and will be flying on this type of plane in the future. If it's the same situation as lion Air does that mean the pilots were not trained regarding the issue? Re false sensor readings

It seems crazy 2 planes of the same type have gone down in such short order, and in a very similar manner, hopefully some answers come and prevent any future tragedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Until such time as there's confirmation that both accidents of this aircraft variant are not related, I would think passengers world-wide are going to be nervous flying this type if they're aware of such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Sincere condolences to you and your colleagues Smurfjed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't need confirmation - I wouldn't get on one of these Boeing death traps for love or money. Has general aviation seen anything like this since the Comet?

DC-10?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Would there be any figure on the total number of commercial flying hours of this type or number in service already?

There are now reports of "pencil whipping" issues with the flight control system.

Would there be any figure on the total number of commercial flying hours of this type or number in service already?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ News just confirmed his name on the Six One this evening. He is confirmed as Michael Ryan from Co. Clare. He was an engineer working on projects with the World Food Programme. The World Food Programme has confirmed that one of their colleagues killed in the crash was an Irish citizen & has been in contact with Mr Ryan's family. My sincere condolences go out to his family and to all of his friends & colleagues. R.I.P. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Comhra wrote: »
    Until such time as there's confirmation that both accidents of this aircraft variant are not related, I would think passengers world-wide are going to be nervous flying this type if they're aware of such.

In fact there are three incidents. The Lion Air plane which crashed had a problem on its previous flight. That flight continued because the pilot reported that the problem "seemed" to have resolved itself. Lion Air refused to comment on this incident because of the ongoing investigation into the crashed flight.
    The fact that all three similar type incidents involved two relatively new aircraft and occurred within minutes of take-off seems to indicate a strong possibility that there could be an issue with this aircraft type which is not long in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In fact there are three incidents. The Lion Air plane which crashed had a problem on its previous flight. That flight continued because the pilot reported that the problem "seemed" to have resolved itself. Lion Air refused to comment on this incident because of the ongoing investigation into the crashed flight.
    The fact that all three similar type incidents involved two relatively new aircraft and occurred within minutes of take-off seems to indicate a strong possibility that there could be an issue with this aircraft type which is not long in service.

The flight track of the vertical speed doesn't look good:

Ethiopia-flight.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

There are now reports of "pencil whipping" issues with the flight control system.

Pencil whipping ? Is it being reported engineers were signing off reported defects without troubleshooting properly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,425 ✭✭✭✭banie01

RIP to the pax and crew.
    Condolences to Smurfjed and all those affected by the loss.

Would hope that any pencil whipping or similar issues are quickly ruled out and any variant safety issues quickly identified and rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

It's such a small community at times.
    Condolences to you and his family.
    Horrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Many condolences. I can only imagine how it must feel to get such news.

As for flying the 737Max, I think I personally would avoid it for a little while when booking. I know that’s not based on empirical data but I’d rather wait and see what the outcome of this one is. New type, coincidences do happen, but...

What is pencil whipping please?

And the deceased Irish person is Michael Ryan. Was he Irish or Kenyan. Not that it matters, poor soul and his family are devastated no doubt too. RIP to all. Horrific thing.

Editing here, I think Smurfjed colleague is Kenyan. Sorry for the loss of all passengers and crew anyway. There is nothing that will comfort their families and friends right now no matter what.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Reports of a fatality with connections in Lahinch.

Reports of a fatality with connections in Lahinch.

Apologies for the Sun link. Condolences to all his family and friends, and everyone else too.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3849176/irish-dad-of-two-killed-in-ethiopian-airline-crash-is-named-as-michael-ryan-from-lahinch-co-clare/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Terrible tragedy may all on board RIP.

When you book flights can you see what aircraft model your flying on? Certainly would avoid this aircraft if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Do Ryanair have this model on order/delivery?

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Do Ryanair have this model on order/delivery?

I believe a pp said yes, but a modified version I think.

Advertisement