Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Parachute Club crash

• 13-05-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

I'm at the IPC at the moment. Looks like the jump plane has crashed. Pilot and one other on board. Rescue helicpoter on scene. No other news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

was it the porter EI-IAN?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm at the IPC at the moment. Looks like the jump plane has crashed. Pilot and one other on board. Rescue helicpoter on scene. No other news.

Offaly Express reporting two fatalities, but no other news source is reporting anything other than serious injuries. UK based pilot and a local 7 year old child on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

beanian wrote: »

I don't think that's operating at the moment, they have a cessna 208 for the summer. I hope it's not as bad as is being suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

beanian wrote: »

It was a turbine prop aircraft. I don't know what designation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I watched it take off, didn't seem like anything was amiss. But I'm no expert on the subject...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It is this aircraft, I would say. https://flic.kr/p/25ziJdK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

G-KNYS Cessna Caravan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Engine was at full power, pilot would know area so would know flat fields...I'm assuming one doesn't intentionally aim for bog to emergency land in? You'd just dig in?

So what breaks to cause loss of control?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Kuva wrote: »
    Engine was at full power.

Do you mind me asking how you know this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

RustyNut wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you know this?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/man-and-boy-7-on-board-light-aircraft-which-crashed-into-offaly-bog-1.3493730?mode=amp

^^^

"Sounded like it does when taking off, hit ground like a torpedo"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That isn't proof of full power.

Any amateur AAIU attempts from now on will be carded

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

That sounds awful. RIP

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Lets us take a moment and recognize that this incident involved fatalities.
    More details will emerge over the next 12-24 hours. Please try to keep wild speculation to a minimum.
    It would be appreciated if sources for info are quoted, as above, which is good.
    However the IT article includes an eye witness which is subjective. Just a point to keep in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm very sorry for the people involved and their families.

Just a point of note.

When I was in that club years ago, the pilot always wore a chute. I don't know if that was personal choice or SOP. There were so many things that could have gone wrong with people exiting the craft that perhaps our pilot just didn't want to take any unnecessary risks. In this case it seems, all the jumpers were long gone.

There may also have been the added complications of having the young lad on board. No matter what the situation, it's tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Was at a show in offaly few years ago. Light plane doing his thing and I asked the pilot(well respected commercial pilot) if he'd take my young lad up. No problem. He loved the trip.
    This could have been the same.,a routine flight and the pilot took a lad for a spin....a tragic outcome. Rip to them both. I'll hug my lad a little tighter than usual when I see him next...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I built my flight hours dropping skydivers in a different Irish Club, it was like being part of a family and is a completely different atmosphere from your normal flying club or school, my heart therefore goes out to the family.

@Odyssey 2005, but your child had a spin that he might talk about for years. T

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

smurfjed wrote: »
    I built my flight hours dropping skydivers in a different Irish Club, it was like being part of a family and is a completely different atmosphere from your normal flying club or school, my heart therefore goes out to the family.

@Odyssey 2005, but your child had a spin that he might talk about for years. T
    He had. And he does,to this day !
    I'm eternally grateful to that pilot for giving him that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

As a local lad, i was regularly up in the planes as a kid in the IPC. Never once did I feel in danger, or did anyone that was there. A really well run club, and as smurfjed says, there is a real family vibe from the regulars there. Terrible tragedy, and not one that could've been predicted from what I gather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

this is an awful tragedy, cant imagine what both families are going through but especially the loss of a 7 year old boy whose father was onboard moments earlier, is truely horrific

may they rest in peace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I was a regular skydiver in the IPC for several years, it's a well ran club with safety at the forefront, as mentioned there is a real family vibe to the place, this is just awful tragic news, particularly when it involves a child.

My thoughts are with all involved in the IPC, this is bound to be devastating for everyone, not least the father who was trying to do something special for his kid.

RIP to both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Very, very sad news. IPC are a great bunch. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

rustynutz wrote: »
    I was a regular skydiver in the IPC for several years, it's a well ran club with safety at the forefront, as mentioned there is a real family vibe to the place, this is just awful tragic news, particularly when it involves a child.

My thoughts are with all involved in the IPC, this is bound to be devastating for everyone, not least the father who was trying to do something special for his kid.

RIP to both
    SNIP

It's a tragedy for everyone, but not least for the father, who had to attend the scene afterwards and finally see his young son's body recovered. That must be the worst nightmare for anyone.

Thoughts are with the families of the two.

Turbines sound much the same in any power setting, so such an observation is of little relevance e except to note that the engine was operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Catmaniac wrote:
    Turbines sound much the same in any power setting, so such an observation is of little relevance e except to note that the engine was operational.

I have to say, its anecdotal, but I wouldn't agree with you at all. Country people, particularly men, know the sounds and rhythms of engines and particularly those in everyday proximity to such phenomenae. I would put some store in a middle-aged man, who is used to tractors, ditchers, bog machinery and in this case these handful of local aircraft. I simply wouldn't just rule it out as you seem to be.

God help all involved. RIP to deceased.

PS major incident there less than a decade ago regarding insufficient fuel on an unfamiliar craft. Not relevant to this tragedy other than to hold back on the superlatives re health and safety. Time will tell how it occurred. But a highly experienced pilot has passed on, as has a little gosun. Poor divils.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If it was in a nosedive then wouldn't windmilling increase the rpm anyway?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The Caravan is a turbo prop engine, which is fitted with a CONSTANT SPEED propeller, so a prop speed will be set by the pilot, and the engine management system will monitor and control the rotational speed, which then remains the same throughout the flight, through take off, climb, descent and landing. It has reverse thrust capability, and while I am not 100% sure of the facts on this, I have seen and watched other turbo prop aircraft used prop settings that meant they were able to descend from height at a considerably faster rate than the parachutists that had just jumped from the aircraft, unlike the piston engine aircraft that were used for many years, which had to keep significant power set on the engine to avoid shock cooling and significant damage.

So, and please can we stop the speculation about engine speeds, the engine speed would have been the same for take off, level flight, high speed descent and landing, the engine rotational speed would not vary, what would change would be the propeller pitch, which would then influence the power available for the various stages of flight.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I have to say, its anecdotal, but I wouldn't agree with you at all. Country people, particularly men, know the sounds and rhythms of engines and particularly those in everyday proximity to such phenomenae. I would put some store in a middle-aged man, who is used to tractors, ditchers, bog machinery and in this case these handful of local aircraft. I simply wouldn't just rule it out as you seem to be.

God help all involved. RIP to deceased.

PS major incident there less than a decade ago regarding insufficient fuel on an unfamiliar craft. Not relevant to this tragedy other than to hold back on the superlatives re health and safety. Time will tell how it occurred. But a highly experienced pilot has passed on, as has a little gosun. Poor divils.

All very tragic and my deepest condolences to the families and all involved. What I mean is that in comparison to the usual pitching up and down and sometimes spluttering of piston engines (when throttle applied suddenly) which are far more common in light aircraft, the turbine engine is far more steady in its sound. Naturally it will get louder the nearer it is to the observer. I used to fly little old pistons which would hiccup and even backfire if I pulled the throttle back a bit too suddenly. An observer on the ground might say “that’s in trouble”, and far from the case it was just a characteristic of those other like engines. When I would practice pretend engine failures I’d descend silently to legal minimum of 500ft before climbing out again, having picked a field I would have made it into in a real-case scenario, and observers on the ground in county Meath might be thinking “that’s going down, it’s got no engine. Pilots have to practice scenarios of failed engines and stalls to keep sharp, as long as it’s done without undue risk.

• Advertisement

The Caravan is a turbo prop engine, which is fitted with a CONSTANT SPEED propeller, so a prop speed will be set by the pilot, and the engine management system will monitor and control the rotational speed, which then remains the same throughout the flight, through take off, climb, descent and landing. It has reverse thrust capability, and while I am not 100% sure of the facts on this, I have seen and watched other turbo prop aircraft used prop settings that meant they were able to descend from height at a considerably faster rate than the parachutists that had just jumped from the aircraft, unlike the piston engine aircraft that were used for many years, which had to keep significant power set on the engine to avoid shock cooling and significant damage.

So, and please can we stop the speculation about engine speeds, the engine speed would have been the same for take off, level flight, high speed descent and landing, the engine rotational speed would not vary, what would change would be the propeller pitch, which would then influence the power available for the various stages of flight.

A Caravan pilot with whom I took a flight in these beautiful, comfortable aircraft was telling me how delightful the machine is to fly, and how easy he found transitioning from the two and four seaters he started in.

Advertisement