Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical agricultural officer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Fred1983

As I said before these jobs will be advertised internally first and someone looking for a transfer will get it first and you will fill his position then , so you more than lightly could be sent anyway in the country. I put down Longford and Westmeath , got in the single digits for one and got in the low teens for the other.
    Offaly , Westmeath, Cavan , tipp and Monaghan are all tullamore DVO. And Longford, Leitrim, Sligo DVO is in Leitrim .anyone working in Longford would be based in Leitrim DVO . I would say you would be called if a position comes up in the DVO catchment area. I could be wrong doe.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

Fred1983 wrote: »
    As I said before these jobs will be advertised internally first and someone looking for a transfer will get it first and you will fill his position then , so you more than lightly could be sent anyway in the country. I put down Longford and Westmeath , got in the single digits for one and got in the low teens for the other.
    Offaly , Westmeath, Cavan , tipp and Monaghan are all tullamore DVO. And Longford, Leitrim, Sligo DVO is in Leitrim . I would say you would be called if a position comes up in the DVO catchment area. I could be wrong doe.

Thanks for info. Got an email earlier, interview in dublin in a fortnight.

Fair play best of luck with it. What county’s ya pick

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Offaly , Westmeath, Cavan , tipp and Monaghan are all tullamore DVO. And Longford, Leitrim, Sligo DVO is in Leitrim . I would say you would be called if a position comes up in the DVO catchment area. I could be wrong doe.

They are moving quickly so, fingers crossed for the rest of us.

Fair play best of luck with it. What county’s ya pick

Thanks! Laois no.6 and Carlow no.3. Got message saying you've been picked, referencing Carlow as the location, which is ironic considering I was sceptical about picking it earlier! The message also said you will only get invited for one location,it probably referenced Carlow for me as I had a better placing there than Laois, even thou Laois was no.1 preference. Like you said thou may get offered work somewhere else. Need to do a good interview thou :D could do with a job!:P:pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks! Laois no.6 and Carlow no.3. Got message saying you've been picked, referencing Carlow as the location, which is ironic considering I was sceptical about picking it earlier! The message also said you will only get invited for one location,it probably referenced Carlow for me as I had a better placing there than Laois, even thou Laois was no.1 preference. Like you said thou may get offered work somewhere else. Need to do a good interview thou :D could do with a job!:P:pac:

They are moving fast , this is prob the first round of interviews at least ya have two weeks to prepare. Good luck with it anyways. Let us know if ya get the job . 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Long nose

Hi everyone, has anyone applied for 2018 TAO Competition?

Results are out and I've been called for an interview. First round.. Does anyone have experience of the TAO interview. Can you move up or down the scale depending on the interview you give. I suppose you can definitely move down if you give a crap interview. Has anyone heard how many staff the Dept will be recruiting??. I had no luck in the 2016 aptitude test as I did no preparation. Was gonna be called for the 3rd round of in-house testing in February this year but the PAS decided not to do it and start a fresh competition. I did prepare for this test approx 6 weeks ago and ive been placed in the high single digits in both locations I chose.

What kind of questions are likely to be asked at interview. Is it completely competency based or is there room for normal two way conversation.

Does anyone know if all people who were on the 2016 panel have been offered work? It would be of interest if the recent government announcement of 1000 new custom staff/ vets included a few TAO's..

Thanks for reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

If you didn't apply for the latest round of technical officer positions, does that mean that you will have to wait another 2 years to apply again?

timple23 wrote: »
    If you didn't apply for the latest round of technical officer positions, does that mean that you will have to wait another 2 years to apply again?

Yes i imagine. Its the way it was for the last campaign.

• Advertisement

I did interview last week. Was happy enough with it . Got results today, i moved down places(from 3 to 5 ) for Carlow. Suppose its a waiting game now to see if ill get any job out of it.

Did anyone contact PAS yet to find out any details going forward regarding offers of jobs. I came 3 rd in my interview panel for my chosen county. It was my second choice. Is it PAS that makes the offers or do they give panel list to DAFM to contact candidates? Well done to everyone whogot on panel.

has anyone heard anything lately? They were all business at the start but its been very quiet this last 3 weeks.

has anyone heard anything lately? They were all business at the start but its been very quiet this last 3 weeks.

Hi gingernut

I sent an email last month querying no. of vacancies in laois and Carlow. I got this reply on the 20/08.

"There are vacancies in County Carlow, we are waiting for agriculture to confirm how many but there is at least 2 vacancies there. Clearance is due to commence by the end of the week and we will be in touch when we reach you on the order of merit."

That's the only info I have since last posting

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

I got an update today, apparently I've been dropped from consideration because I don't meet their educational requirements? Despite ranking second and third in two counties.

I got nothing less than a C2 in my Leaving cert, all higher subjects and I have a degree in Food Science.

I've emailed to see if I can contest this but I'm absolutely devastated so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 helenmaria1970

That makes no sense what so ever...What are they looking for...You've a degree for peets sake, what more do they want..?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

I got an update today, apparently I've been dropped from consideration because I don't meet their educational requirements? Despite ranking second and third in two counties.

I got nothing less than a C2 in my Leaving cert, all higher subjects and I have a degree in Food Science.

I've emailed to see if I can contest this but I'm absolutely devastated so far.

Don't delay in sending in the review form when you get it as you only have 5 days from notification and then PAS have 5 weeks to get back to you. This happened me as well and I am still waiting to hear back. Best to call as well after you have sent in the review form as there seems to be uncertainty if this is PAS or DAFF responsibility.

gav86 wrote: »
    Don't delay in sending in the review form when you get it as you only have 5 days from notification and then PAS have 5 weeks to get back to you. This happened me as well and I am still waiting to hear back. Best to call as well after you have sent in the review form as there seems to be uncertainty if this is PAS or DAFF responsibility.

Do you mind elaborating on the review form? Why would it be sent? I'm new to PAS applications. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Do you mind elaborating on the review form? Why would it be sent? I'm new to PAS applications. Thanks in advance!

Once I got the message I emailed back to ask if I could have this reviewed and they replied with a form you have to fill out - it might be something they have on their website but I couldn't find it. I can forward it on to you

gav86 wrote: »
    Once I got the message I emailed back to ask if I could have this reviewed and they replied with a form you have to fill out - it might be something they have on their website but I couldn't find it. I can forward it on to you

Ah I received a reply today. DAFM doesn't recognise a BSc in Food Science! Crazy! I've been sent the review form, I'll fill it out asap. Thanks for the heads up on it

• Advertisement

Ah I received a reply today. DAFM doesn't recognise a BSc in Food Science! Crazy! I've been sent the review form, I'll fill it out asap. Thanks for the heads up on it

That is crazy! someone I know is an AAI with Food science degree from the Ag faculty in UCD. It does seem odd that industry experience isn't taken into account at the earlier stages, esp if you've been in a role subject to DAFM inspections, or are directly working in agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 helenmaria1970

Anyone get offers in the Mid West..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

There is different types of work on offer, the factory work is usually per county, the field work is per regional office like Carlow work would be based in Enniscorthy, Kilkenny based in Waterford, when a post becomes available it is offered to present staff in that area and if no Up take then to the panel. The DVO work is most sought by present staff.
    There is a two year sitting time before a new person is considered for transfer or promotion. Pay is not great starting off.

Anyone get offers in the Mid West..?

Sounds like no one here got an offer yet 😅

There is different types of work on offer, the factory work is usually per county, the field work is per regional office like Carlow work would be based in Enniscorthy, Kilkenny based in Waterford, when a post becomes available it is offered to present staff in that area and if no Up take then to the panel. The DVO work is most sought by present staff.
    There is a two year sitting time before a new person is considered for transfer or promotion. Pay is not great starting off.

Thanks for the info. Are you a dept. man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MMackey

I have been offered work in the Dept. as TAO. Whats the story with Money. 24K is pretty light. Is there room for it to go up? Anyone know?

Is promotion difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Winter2018

That's brilliant for you that you have been offered a position.  Do you mind saying which County and where you were on the list... as this will give hope to us that are still waiting from the recent competition to see where they are and how its progressing.
    Good Luck in your new role.
    Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Theyank1

Anyone else get placed on a panel?

I got placed this week, disappointed with my result, I was 10 after the supervised test but 14 now after the interview. Doubt they would reach that low.

Theyank1 wrote: »
    Anyone else get placed on a panel?

I got placed this week, disappointed with my result, I was 10 after the supervised test but 14 now after the interview. Doubt they would reach that low.
    How was the interview was it difficult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Theyank1

How was the interview was it difficult

The interview wasn't to bad, I was interviewed by 2 people 1 public appointment staff and 1 from dept of agriculture. The whole thing lasted 30 minutes and the asked me questions on 5 topics 1)dealing with people
    2)decision making and problem solving
    3) commitment to high standards
    4) expert knowledge
    5) communication
    Got emailed these were the topics I'd be asked about so I cud prepare in advance

Advertisement