Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon - spotting.

• 28-07-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Is there a suitable vantage point near
    Shannon Airport for plane spotting ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

If you follow the road for Shannon Aerospace, turn left into aerospace and then left again there is a runway viewing point!
    Lots of private jets in and out and the odd emergency landing/ surprise visitor!

Saw a Singapore Airlines Cargo 747 landing in today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Been there a few times. This is the kind of view you'll get there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Bear in mind the airport police or Garda will probably come around to visit because of the activities of the loony left. So try not to look like or act like Mick Wallace.

Also even though you're outside the fence you may still be on airport property and thus subject to the airport rules.

But normally there's no problem unless the aforementioned troublemakers are in residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

It would be great to get advance notice of movements like this one on Monday from someone in the know in Shannon:

https://www.facebook.com/Shannon.Airport.Official/photos/a.280912445331586.64510.280718768684287/680765162012977/?type=1&relevant_count=1

.. Or the Singapore Cargo 747 that popped up last week .....

Anyone out there with this kind of info that could give us a heads-up now and then?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

radar0976 wrote: »
    Been there a few times. This is the kind of view you'll get there...

That is a BRILLIANT video! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Hi all,

was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on an aircraft i saw at Shannon this morning. I was picking up someone from SNN around 6am and there was a US Air Force C-32 (B757).
    It was parked at the terminal and there was a jet bridge attached, but was wondering if anyone could tell me me more about it, assuming someone fairly important from the states was onboard? just curious!

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Saw it recently enough too. Must be a regular visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Manuel wrote: »
    It would be great to get advance notice of movements like this one on Monday from someone in the know in Shannon:

https://www.facebook.com/Shannon.Airport.Official/photos/a.280912445331586.64510.280718768684287/680765162012977/?type=1&relevant_count=1

From what I see, these don't broadcast landing or takeoff info, one has just crossed the English chanel.

Hi folks,
    Is there any way to find out in advance when a Volga-dnepr A124 is coming? I have set up notifications on Flightaware.com, but usually whenever one pops up it's only a few hours in advance, and not all flight plans seem to be registered there, or at least not all of them come up in my notifications.

For example today I got a notification about a Volga-dnepr A124 departing Shannon for Orlando at 2.00pm local time today, but I got no notification about its arrival.

Hope ye can help. On hols at the moment and would love to pop down and see one if the opportunity arose again.

Thanks,
    /M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Volga-Dnepr_Antonov_An-124-100_CBR_Gilbert-2.jpg

Thats a different plane anyway. Worth seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Thinking of heading up there for a day's spotting next week, any particular day better than the next?.

Thats a different plane anyway. Worth seeing.

1. Lovely shot, thanks for sharing.
    2. How is it a different plane?
    3. I know it's worth seeing. That's why I posed the question.
    4. Can you help with my question?

/M.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BZ

Manuel wrote: »
    1. Lovely shot, thanks for sharing.
    2. How is it a different plane?
    3. I know it's worth seeing. That's why I posed the question.
    4. Can you help with my question?

/M.

No real definite way of finding out when they arrive as there business is charter operations it really depends on what load they have, weather, routing etc and if they require a fuel stop in SNN for the trip they are on. Sometimes there fuel stops are very last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

roundymac wrote: »
    Thinking of heading up there for a day's spotting next week, any particular day better than the next?.

If your looking for alot of traffic try Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, (Mondays maybe) if your looking for a bit of 'different traffic' try Saturday mornings, visitors include an F100, A Sunexpress 738 and an Air Europa 738 (Among the regular visitors, including the Aerlingus/Omni 767)

I'm not exactly sure when the Turkish Cargo A332 runs but it was in SNN very early Saturday morning (1am)

Aviastar Tupolov 204 in DHL colours due in today at 1325.

Delta are operating a 767-300 into Shannon this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Lockheed

BZ wrote: »
    Aviastar Tupolov 204 in DHL colours due in today at 1325.

When is she leaving? I am going to Limerick tomorrow for a short break

Lockheed wrote: »
    When is she leaving? I am going to Limerick tomorrow for a short break

Not sure. it's in SNN for painting so maybe 5 to 7 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Honeywell's testbed 757 due afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A couple of months ago, I was in Shannon for a charity 5k run they were doing on the runway. I had time to kill so i went exploring. They have this great viewing balcony over the terminal with a good view over the whole airfield. It also has good WiFi so I had my laptop opened with liveatc and FlightRadar open. I felt like I was running a secondary tower. :)

• Advertisement

Alitalia AZ621 Lax to Fco a 777 will be stopping off in SNN this afternoon around 2pm. Also and an Alitalia A320 due an hour beforehand from Fco.

Dubai air Wing 747F due in today around 1445. DUB008 A6-GGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

flazio wrote: »
    A couple of months ago, I was in Shannon for a charity 5k run they were doing on the runway. I had time to kill so i went exploring. They have this great viewing balcony over the terminal with a good view over the whole airfield. It also has good WiFi so I had my laptop opened with liveatc and FlightRadar open. I felt like I was running a secondary tower. :)

How to you get to this viewing area? I can't remember seeing signs for it but I wasn't really looking for them when I've been out there. Is there glass between you and the airfield?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

h3000 wrote: »
    How to you get to this viewing area? I can't remember seeing signs for it but I wasn't really looking for them when I've been out there. Is there glass between you and the airfield?

Take the elevator for the departure gates, I think there is a button that says viewing gallery. Yes it's glass enclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

elastico wrote: »
    Take the elevator for the departure gates, I think there is a button that says viewing gallery. Yes it's glass enclosed.

Thank you very much. I must pop out for a look.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

747 DUB008 due out of SNN at 1000 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

4R-ADA due this evening.

Singapore Airlines Cargo 747 due in SNN tomorrow.

In from Amsterdam 18:05
    Out to Sharjah 20:35

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Singapore Airlines Cargo 747 due in SNN tomorrow.

In from Amsterdam 18:05
    Out to Sharjah 20:35
    SQC7368 9V-SFN B744 overhead DUB now descending for SNN

• Advertisement

Kenny2012 wrote: »
    SQC7368 9V-SFN B744 overhead DUB now descending for SNN

In to pick up 1500 pigs.

Advertisement