Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Yup. One of the reasons I've never actually managed to buy clothes online!

You could do what loads of people seem to be doing ... trying it on in the shop, then buying it online (normally at a lesser cost)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I love that gamble of buying from a new online source. Will it be good? Will it arrive on time? Will it arrive at all? Will the quality be what I'm looking for?
    My first order with any new source is always for the cheapest thing they have. That way I get to check out their customer services, post and packaging, fit and quality. If it goes wrong then I'm only out a few quid. When all goes well over a period of time the value of my orders goes up.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nice! When's it valid until?

it doesn't have an expiry date when i use it :pac:.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    I love that gamble of buying from a new online source. Will it be good? Will it arrive on time? Will it arrive at all? Will the quality be what I'm looking for?
    My first order with any new source is always for the cheapest thing they have. That way I get to check out their customer services, post and packaging, fit and quality. If it goes wrong then I'm only out a few quid. When all goes well over a period of time the value of my orders goes up.

i'm the exact same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

My first order with any new source is always for the cheapest thing they have. That way I get to check out their customer services, post and packaging, fit and quality.

I really don't like ordering clothes online - I'd much rather head in to someplace and get the full treatment - get doors opened, proper measurements, trying on trousers unfinished so they'll fit perfect, and a "goodbye, sir" on the way out :pac:

I'd be waaaay too disappointed if something I ordered online didn't work out - At least if I'm in the shop, I know what I'm getting!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I really don't like ordering clothes online - I'd much rather head in to someplace and get the full treatment - get doors opened, proper measurements, trying on trousers unfinished so they'll fit perfect, and a "goodbye, sir" on the way out :pac:

I'd be waaaay too disappointed if something I ordered online didn't work out - At least if I'm in the shop, I know what I'm getting!

For a lot of stuff I'd agree but Hawaii is a long way to go just to buy 2 or 3 new Aloha shirts. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

You can use you Student Travel Card in Boots now! I was excited to learn this! 10% afair. Got dark red dye so hopefully later I'll have lovely new hair :D
    Hit the sales today, town was bonkers. Tip for anyone purchasing in BT... there's no queues in downstairs menswear ;)

That's because it's sh*te down there...

I was very disappointed when I popped down a few weeks before Christmas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

That's because it's sh*te down there...

I was very disappointed when I popped down a few weeks before Christmas.

Yeah I had a quick look around, it just seemed like the same stuff over ad over again, regardless of brand. And a load of Diesel and CK boxers!
    But the bloke on the till left the security tag on my lovely new bag :( Super!

• Advertisement

That's EXACTLY what I thought. I mean, fair enough, some roughed up jeans with brand name are going to sell... but ffs, that dosn't mean EVERYthing down there has to a pair of roughed up jeans.

Firstly, I thought there'd be better quality and variety down there, and secondly, I thought BT's would have the balls and money behind it to get in something different. As it stands, it's about the same as every and any other menswear store going. Maybe a few more labels, but that's it.

Oldgoat, you seen any decent shirts in the sales?

Oldgoat, you seen any decent shirts in the sales?
    I've not been around the sales. I'll go into Lewins tomorrow and get a dozen stock shirts. They usually do 3 for €100 or some deal like that. That will get me through the year for day to day wear. Then I'll go for a wander and see who is selling what. But, tbh I don't like the shirts that most outlets are stocking these days. I don't do 'Slim Fit' :rolleyes:
    I might take a Spring trip over to London to Jermyn Street for something nice.

Goatie, bit of a question here for you...
    Thought I'd ask on thread, so more than myself can benefit! Hope you don't mind!

Friend of mine has bought a black suit and he's looking for a shirt to go with it. I suggested classic white, but he wants something a bit more colourful. What would your ideas be? :)

I've not been around the sales. I'll go into Lewins tomorrow and get a dozen stock shirts. They usually do 3 for €100 or some deal like that. That will get me through the year for day to day wear. Then I'll go for a wander and see who is selling what. But, tbh I don't like the shirts that most outlets are stocking these days.

Where's Lewins in Dublin? Didn't even know they had a branch over here!
    I don't do 'Slim Fit' :rolleyes:
    Ditto.

I can send you on a few links to what's going on in London when I get back over.
    Goatie, bit of a question here for you...
    Thought I'd ask on thread, so more than myself can benefit! Hope you don't mind!

Friend of mine has bought a black suit and he's looking for a shirt to go with it. I suggested classic white, but he wants something a bit more colourful. What would your ideas be? :)

If you don't mind another opinion;

What's the suit for? And is a solid black, a black pinstripe or a black micropattern?

I'd see a black suit as fitting into very certain occasions, now, some folk would disagree with that, but it's just the way I'd see them.

I'd agree with starting with a *good* white shirt - nice collar and double cuffs, no shirt pocket, then buy some nice cufflinks - Bring your colour in with the tie then.

Classic white is magnificent IF you can do it without looking like a waiter and that takes sartorial skill. If he has to ask what colour to wear then he probably dosen't yet have the ability or wardrobe to get away with white successfully.

On the plus side, black is a neutral colour and so the whole colourbox is yer oyster. He can wear anything he likes with black. Just be sure to accessorize properly with the tie etc.

Where's Lewins in Dublin? Didn't even know they had a branch over here!

Ditto.

I can send you on a few links to what's going on in London when I get back over.

If you don't mind another opinion;

What's the suit for? And is a solid black, a black pinstripe or a black micropattern?

I'd see a black suit as fitting into very certain occasions, now, some folk would disagree with that, but it's just the way I'd see them.

I'd agree with starting with a *good* white shirt - nice collar and double cuffs, no shirt pocket, then buy some nice cufflinks - Bring your colour in with the tie then.

Lewens is on South Anne Street, between Grafton St and Dawson St. - Near the La Cava winebar (so recommended for a platter and a half carafe) :)

Perfect.

I only moved out of Dublin last July, and I'm already double checking places. The feicers moved all my old bus stops too :-/

He's wearing it for New Year's. A few friends and he decided they'd wear suits and be formal! As far as I know, it's a solid black suit and he wants to inject some colour with the shirt and tie.

I suggested a white shirt, because it's classic and looks well. Then I suggested a black shirt and red tie ... but that could be a bit too My Chemical Romance! :pac:
    On the plus side, black is a neutral colour and so the whole colourbox is yer oyster. He can wear anything he likes with black. Just be sure to accessorize properly with the tie etc.

I'm at a loss, what to suggest to him, to be honest. I know black goes with anything, but in my head ... black and white go perfectly and black wouldn't look right with more 'novelty' colours like pink or yellow. And it clashes with blue, apparently :P

Maybe black suit, deep red shirt and black tie? ... Or maybe I'm failing miserably here! :o

please don't tell him to do the black shirt red tie combo. as you said it's way too billy joe/my chemical romance and every tom/dick/harry or their emo equivalent names are doing it.

was in UO today, they give student discount on sale items :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Do you know if they have those silly ear flap hats??? I need one. Couldn't find any in TK Maxx etc. :(

Larianne wrote: »
    Do you know if they have those silly ear flap hats??? I need one. Couldn't find any in TK Maxx etc. :(
    yup they do, downstairs in the men's department.

i'm loving their new layout too.

the mens are right there when you walk in. it's proper order they know men don't want to trek all the way upstairs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Has anyone bought anything from UO online?! 'Cause when it asks for the address, it has "Country" and a drop down menu but Ireland isn't there!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

They do a student discount now???

:O I think I have to go shopping.

Has anyone seen any halfway decent boots anywhere lately? All I can find are boots that are either open-toe, over the knee or covered in buckles and studs. I'm looking for a pair that'll keep me dry on the way to college but still look lovely ! :p I had a grand pair from Dunnes that lasted me a year but finally gave in after 2 months of walking in the rain.

Also someone decide whether I want black or brown boots! I can't make up my mind at all.

fon... brown, definitely brown.

i'm trying to find a pair of brown boots myself like these

75453566-300x300-0-0_Ben+Sherman+Ben+Sherman+Men+s+Keane+Chelsea+boots.jpg

that are not ben sherman and aren't insanely priced.

Penneys have loads, the last time I looked. What about somewhere like Buffalo or Fat Face?

I was on the hunt for boots during the summer and I had to look everywhere. Ended up getting a grey pair in the Fat Face shop in the airport. I couldn't bring them to Malta with me so I got my bro who works in the airport to collect them. He was not impressed. In the pic they look mank and there is a buckle or two there but they are real comfy (once you break them in) and I have got a lot of compliments about them. http://www.fatface.com/Footwear/Karina-Riding-Boot/invt/24449&bklist=icat,4,shop,womenswear,womensfootwear

(god they really look awful in the pic. :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Cremo, they're lovely looking! Maybe have a look in River Island? I don't know what their mens shoes are like these day but an ex got a pair very much like them a few years ago.

Yeah I think you're right about the brown boots but I can have a pair in each colour right?? :p

I love a pair of lace up boots, I've wanted them ever since I was a kid. Something like this without the seam at the front or something like these with a lower heel so I could wear them daily without dying. I love the second pair, I think they're just beautiful.

I'd completely forgotten about Buffalo and I'd never have thought of fat face at all! I'm sure your boots are beautiful in real life. :) I think buckles like that are fine, just some of the ones about look awful.

wow buffalo never heard of them before and i walk exchequer street every day.

don't know what's more shocking.

1. they have a usuable website (for an irish fashion store that's quite shocking).
    2. they have a good mens section.

wow buffalo never heard of them before and i walk exchequer street every day.

don't know what's more shocking.

1. they have a usuable website (for an irish fashion store that's quite shocking).
    2. they have a good mens section.

you mean unusable? It's all in German, right. SOOOOOOOoooooooo annoying!!!!! :mad:

I also pass by many a time and forget it's there!!!

• Advertisement

but it has all pictures are prices and it's pretty :pac:

plus i'm fluent in german and i didn't even notice it wasn't in english :o

Advertisement