Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transferring NI contributions from UK

Options
  • 16-09-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've been living and working in the UK the past 8 years and got let go. I'm moving home and thankfully have a job sorted but wanted to know if anybody knows how to transfer the NI contriubtions (towards state pension) from UK to ireland. When I go online in HMRC I see I can get a letter stating the year I contributed here but wondering if there is a form or something I need to fill out to get them onto my Irish record.

Thanks,
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

It is not possible to transfer your UK contributions into the Irish pension system.
    However, you may might be able to combine your contributions from both countries when you reach pension age to get a pro rata pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Hi,
    I've been living and working in the UK the past 8 years and got let go. I'm moving home and thankfully have a job sorted but wanted to know if anybody knows how to transfer the NI contriubtions (towards state pension) from UK to ireland. When I go online in HMRC I see I can get a letter stating the year I contributed here but wondering if there is a form or something I need to fill out to get them onto my Irish record.

Thanks,
    Chris

Have a read of this!

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/social_insurance_contributions_from_abroad.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Thanks guys, I misunderstood. So I don't need to do anything about it untill I qualify for the Irish pension. I had read that but by read I mean loosely skimmed! I was just checking no form I needed get signed in the UK before I leave or anything so I'm all clear.

I see that all it takes is 10 years employment to be elgibable for the Irish pension so I should qualify for that, have over 30 years work ahead of me!

I see that all it takes is 10 years employment to be elgibable for the Irish pension so I should qualify for that, have over 30 years work ahead of me!

The State Contributory Pension rules are in the process of changing - it should have happened last year but the government funked it due to the outcry from the Unions and the populist parties. So you'd be advised to keep half an eye out for changes over the next few years.

The State Contributory Pension rules are in the process of changing - it should have happened last year but the government funked it due to the outcry from the Unions and the populist parties. So you'd be advised to keep half an eye out for changes over the next few years.

Cheers thanks for that, hopefully doesn't go from 10 years to 40 :D

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks for that, hopefully doesn't go from 10 years to 40 :D

The proposal was that to get the full pension, you'd need to have 40 years' contributions; for 30 years, you'd get 75%, for 20 years 50% and so on.

But SW contributions paid in certain other countries (mainly EU) would be reckonable.

The proposal was that to get the full pension, you'd need to have 40 years' contributions; for 30 years, you'd get 75%, for 20 years 50% and so on.

But SW contributions paid in certain other countries (mainly EU) would be reckonable.

Crikey that is quite a jump isn't it from 10 to 40! THanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mmc272

Thanks guys, I misunderstood. So I don't need to do anything about it untill I qualify for the Irish pension. I had read that but by read I mean loosely skimmed! I was just checking no form I needed get signed in the UK before I leave or anything so I'm all clear.

Once you take up employment in Ireland, be sure to start paying Voluntary contributions in the U.K. It cost about £155 a year,. It is possible to get full Irish Pension and a full U.K. pension if you continue to pay about £155 a year from now on. You said you already have 8 years work in the U.K. it’s 35 years to get the full U.K. Pension. So you have another 27 to go. You need to fill in form CF83 and post it off to U.K. They will post you out a bill around April of every year.

This option is only good if you plan to take up employment in Ireland until you have at least 10 years of work in Ireland (paid stamps from employment). If after having 10 years of paid stamps in Ireland (maybe you worked in Ireland before going to U.K.) and you need to go on a social welfare payment like Jobseeker’s Allowance, you need to request that they put on a stamp for you as they don’t do it automatically for certain benefits and they won’t credit it after. Also after having 10 years of paid stamps in Ireland from employment you could become a voluntary contributor here if you were not in employment or on a benefit. Your main thing in Ireland is to keep that PRSI record full for every year from now on.

You mentioned you had 30 years of work left so an example would be:

8 years in U.K. + Voluntary Contribute for another 27 = Maximum U.K. pension

30 years out of 40 years in Ireland = 75% of Irish pension (maybe you have some more years from before you went to the U.K. to increase that)

mmc272 wrote: »
    Once you take up employment in Ireland, be sure to start paying Voluntary contributions in the U.K. It cost about £155 a year,. It is possible to get full Irish Pension and a full U.K. pension if you continue to pay about £155 a year from now on. You said you already have 8 years work in the U.K. it’s 35 years to get the full U.K. Pension. So you have another 27 to go. You need to fill in form CF83 and post it off to U.K. They will post you out a bill around April of every year.

This option is only good if you plan to take up employment in Ireland until you have at least 10 years of work in Ireland (paid stamps from employment). If after having 10 years of paid stamps in Ireland (maybe you worked in Ireland before going to U.K.) and you need to go on a social welfare payment like Jobseeker’s Allowance, you need to request that they put on a stamp for you as they don’t do it automatically for certain benefits and they won’t credit it after. Also after having 10 years of paid stamps in Ireland from employment you could become a voluntary contributor here if you were not in employment or on a benefit. Your main thing in Ireland is to keep that PRSI record full for every year from now on.

You mentioned you had 30 years of work left so an example would be:

8 years in U.K. + Voluntary Contribute for another 27 = Maximum U.K. pension

30 years out of 40 years in Ireland = 75% of Irish pension (maybe you have some more years from before you went to the U.K. to increase that)

Thanks never know about the voluntary contributions thing. Yeah I worked full time in Ireland for 5 years total as well as summer jobs for 3 years. Plan is to remain in Ireland for good now.

Is there a way to check my PRSI contributions here? In UK I could log in and it would show all the tests I'd a full contribution. I think I'm right with how many years but would like to double check

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭mmc272

If you don’t have a Public services card with photo yet you can’t do it online. (This is something your going to need anyways at some point in Ireland to access a variety of Government Services like renewing driving licence etc) You can call (01) 673 2586 and tell them you want a copy of your PRSI record issued out to you In the post.. Do you have access to your previous address that was on record in Ireland before you went to the U.K.? It would make it much easier to get the record. Don’t even tell them you were in the U.K. also. Just over complicates things.

To get set up with the U.K. you need to be in employment in Ireland just to set it up as they’ll ask for a payslip or some proof that you are working in Ireland. This is only to set it up, as they never check again, they just send you a bill every year. Their is 2 different rates, Class 2 NI Contribution £150 a year if your working abroad and Class 3 NI Contributions £780 a year if your not working abroad. Obviously you want to be paying at the class 2 rates.

At current levels you would getting
    Full U.K. Pension of £175.20
    35/40 years of Irish State Contributory Pension €217.26

Your aim is to get the State Contributory Pension and not the State Non Contributory Pension.

• Advertisement

While that's excellent advice, I'd again point out that the rules of the Irish State Contributory Pension Scheme may very well be revised after the Review mentioned in this weeks' budget speech has taken place, so be sure to keep an eye on developments, although nothing will happen before end-2021.

While that's excellent advice, I'd again point out that the rules of the Irish State Contributory Pension Scheme may very well be revised after the Review mentioned in this weeks' budget speech has taken place, so be sure to keep an eye on developments, although nothing will happen before end-2021.

Yeah I should have contributed enough this year to count as a full year, not too sure on the UK rules! As I get my final pay from UK this month, so would have paid from April to October. I'll remember to keep an eye on developments!

Advertisement