Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just to say thunder is highly unpredictable.

Sure is. I would have thought myself that Northern areas would have had the best chance and later in the afternoon but the recorded sferics were late morning / early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

An hour long but worth a watch. Documents the 'Derecho' event that hit parts of the upper Midwest last August. Serious stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZzsGZPXOGM

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Some impressive looking convection going up on the skyline newest of Dublin and it's pushing westwards

Edit: nothing lively is forecast so likely this will amount to zero

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭highdef

Some impressive looking convection going up on the skyline newest of Dublin and it's pushing westwards

Edit: nothing lively is forecast so likely this will amount to zero

Looking NW of Dublin from a viewpoint about 40km west of Dublin, about an hour ago:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Entering a period of unstable air mass with steep lapse rates under cold uppers with relatively mild SST's. A fair bit of convection about with the increased chance of hail showers and some risk of lightning but looks low, maybe an area with a bit of orographic lift might help produce a few sparks over land. The Atlantic coastal counties might feature most and more so over the sea, could be some great cloudscapes out there.

Tons of shear available overnight when the front crosses the country, could be some very squally conditions, wouldn't be surprised if got reports of very localized intense winds or even some tornadic activity.

anim_ncn4.gif

anim_sfb7.gif

Oysp3b5.png

Cip1rnh.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Had a very intense shower come in over Liscannor Bay (NW Clare). One very close flash of lightning. Tripped the electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Couple of flashes in the last few minutes in south Connemara. Too windy to know if they were accompanied by thunder or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Couple of flashes in the last few minutes in south Connemara. Too windy to know if they were accompanied by thunder or not.

Strikes there are showing up on Net Eireann and other lightning detectors

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I spot a few distant flashes looking west from Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Loud thunder currently in Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

feckin hell lol. what a blast

feckin hell lol. what a blast

Seemed to last nearly a whole minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very heavy shower moving towards Galway with recent lightning strike already detected...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Gone very wild in South mayo now out of nowhere

Really bad wind and rain here in the last 20 minutes. Some of the worst wind since spring. Out of nowhere and dying down again 10 minutes later. It was like a truck driving through the house. Woke everybody up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Couple of flashes in West Galway just now

I'm miles away and that was a big flash and bang!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

One loud one in Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heard a solitary rumble here.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Carol25

Big Bang of thunder south of Athenry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Carol25 wrote: »
    Big Bang of thunder south of Athenry.

Same one I heard here so

Sferics showing up near here in Kerry, didn't hear or see anything but a big squally shower went through around the time so presume it came from that. Blustery in the now more frequent showers this evening .

Lightning flashes West of Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just heard a quite distant but long rumbling boom there. Didn't see any flash.

New Moon

Lightning West of Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Some rumblings further west in the county aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Flash and a loud rumble in Galway city.

Think I can hear faint rumbles in the distance however it's busy where I am so hard to tell.

That was some white flash of lighting and loud thunder looks to be more out West

A flash and thunder in Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Went south of me but just seen a huge flash
    Sky to the south purple /black

Advertisement