Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy store

• 28-09-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Ok bought a head set for my daughter's Nintendo switch and it is 37 days old .I returned the head set to the toy store and was told there terms and conditions are only 28 days or 30 . The member of staff said it is faulty and would have to contact the marker of the head set . Question is do I not have a year warranty with the product and since I bought it from a well known toy store is not my guarantee with them not the maker of the head set any help be nice thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi

You are a little confused, and i suspect it is because you have been misled by the store. you purchased a headset, and with that you have 3 seperate protections.

the 1st one is the stores return policy, eg sounds like return within 30 days for a refund/exchange. They have used this to confound you!

second is the manufacturer's warranty - where the term could be 1 year, but is doesnt have to be - its not set in stone. More about this later.

The third is the sales of goods and supply act. you have up to six years (clearly a cheap headset would not be expected to have six year life, but sennheiser headset might) where you can make a claim. Under the sale of goods and supply act the retailer has to offer you one of the 3 rs' Repair, Replace, Refund.

So for your next action you have 2 choices. contact the manufacturer, and chase a replacement there, or go back to the store ask for the manager and tell him (really nicely and politely) under the sale of goods and supply action you are entitled to one of the 3r's. If you dont get what you are entitled to, ask him for the address of the head office as you will be contacting them and making a "formal complaint" in writing.

link here for how to make a formal complaint - step 5

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complain-to-a-business/

in all honesty id chase the shop and hope they see common sense. But you do have the other option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Always confusion on this and it's a pity a clear written policy can't be provided.

The retailer is wrong, BUT more the way they said it.

Legally it is the shop that should take it back from you, send it to the distributor / manufacturer, then they rectify the issue, send it back to the shop and then the shop contacts you and you have to drive up and collect it. Then you hope the person you deal with knows where the item is and you finally have it back.

Or, you can cut out the middle man, send it to the distributor / manufacturer, they rectify the issue and send it directly back to you.

At all times the shop is responsible for your satisfaction, but for repairs it's just so much easier to deal directly with the company.

Now you'll get the usual crew who will tell you to stand your ground and make the shop take the product back, but 99% of people just want an item fixed or replaced as quickly as possible

Advertisement