Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possibility of microbial life on Venus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Surprised this hasn't made news headlines.

If there is life in our own solar system in addition to ours on another planet then what does that say about the probability of life in the rest of the universe - highly likely I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

AllForIt wrote: »

If there is life in our own solar system in addition to ours on another planet then what does that say about the probability of life in the rest of the universe - highly likely I'd say.

It may do tomorrow just before the weather probably. If it is a peer reviewed announcement then it is a big deal!

Well it is already highly likely I would say. Even without there being a discovery in our Solar System, it would most definitely increase the odds of there being intelligent life elsewhere though.

The Science Shed on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/scienceshed/posts/167178628320520

Press conference tomorrow afternoon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

AllForIt wrote: »

It's embargoed until this afternoon. Articles on this appeared on Friday, referring to an announcement on the 14th, and were taken down quickly.

I think the implication of life on our nextdoor neighbour increases the likelihood of more life in our solar system alone. I'd have thought it more likely for there to be life on moons like Europa, Enceladus or Callisto ahead of Venus. So if life has managed to come about in Venus, I think it increases the likelihood of it being possible on those moons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

They found the chemical Phosphine in the atmosphere of Venus.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »

Yeah at levels far exceeding what would be expected naturally, at the "Habitable" zone of the atmosphere

US2 wrote: »

Yes exactly lots of people hyping it up to beat the band! The levels they found would indicate microbial life, massive amounts of unnatural production i.e. a factory spewing it out could be the only other explanation.

If it is not microbial life then our understanding of how things work are about to come into question! Which is also a major deal - collectively we are not as smart as smart as we think we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Yes exactly lots of people hyping it up to beat the band! The levels they found would indicate microbial life, massive amounts of unnatural production i.e. a factory spewing it out could be the only other explanation.

If it is not microbial life then our understanding of how things work are about to come into question! Which is also a major deal - collectively we are not as smart as smart as we think we are.

It's very exciting either way. Really looking forward to this announcement.

That cached page from post #1 working for anyone else? seems to have either expired or was pulled by google.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Royal Astronomical Society are said to be making an announcement tomorrow. Rumours have been flying around about this, possibly being the discovery of life in our solar system. Namely on Venus.

There was a page pulled from the Earth Sky website, here is a cached version....

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3AdUWrpm80WHsJ%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fearthsky.org%2F%3Fp%3D343883%20&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&fbclid=IwAR0ZAin4PwgL4_ui7e2upi_mTdFWT0VrLDU4f4MQ3ESCpug5Z8_4DttmKW4

The announcement will be featured on the Sky at Night tomorrow on BBC4.

https://www.facebook.com/RoyalAstroSoc/posts/10158743402369521

Going live on Facebook at 4pm tomorrow.
    There is nothing on BBC 4 tomorrow about The Sky at Night. I just looked.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    There is nothing on BBC 4 tomorrow about The Sky at Night. I just looked.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk7h

Special report at 10.30pm

see third box on the right

Showing on Virgin as 10.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

This is huge news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah at levels far exceeding what would be expected naturally, at the "Habitable" zone of the atmosphere

That's the problem though: Terminology. I presume you mean non-biologically in that you mean that this was generated by living organisms.

"Not Natural" would lead many to believe this meant artificially.

Will be interesting to see alright. I put 50 euro on Paddy Power years ago about extraterrestrial life (conclusive proof of microbial life on Mars or Venus or Europa or wherever would pretty much mean life is abundant elsewhere is a distinctly average star can have live emerging on two planets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

That's the problem though: Terminology. I presume you mean non-biologically in that you mean that this was generated by living organisms.

"Not Natural" would lead many to believe this meant artificially.

Will be interesting to see alright. I put 50 euro on Paddy Power years ago about extraterrestrial life (conclusive proof of microbial life on Mars or Venus or Europa or wherever would pretty much mean life is abundant elsewhere is a distinctly average star can have live emerging on two planets.

Come on, tell us the rest of it..... What odds did you get?

I'm trying not to get excited.

The BAS have hyped up stories in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

If we find microbial life on Venus there is a high probability it is a cousin of ours. Bacteria can survive on Meteors between Earth and Mars & Venus.

It would still be sensational news if we confirm life can survive on other worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Can't even remember. Can't even log into account (It was about 10 years ago :) )

Here we go

• Advertisement

I'm in love with Professor Jane now

That is interesting... if the microbes are at 10% efficiency and sparse in terms of the rest of the make-up of Venus then there is a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

"Not abiologically" - So, we're going to find out if that means little ayy-LMAOs?

Phosphine level too high for photo-chemical.

Too high for thermo-dynamics...
    By several orders of magnitude!!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

"We are not claiming we have found life on Venus"

"We are not claiming we have found life on Venus"

...but...

So a massively exotic new chemistry or microbes.

spore-cover.jpg

That last question kinda threw them. They don't know what biological process produces phosphine on earth.

• Advertisement

One of the questions about Panspermia but it's even better to NOT be Panspermia. It's really important to be uniquely a Venus based life, to show that life can spontaneously develop in other solar systems.

Advertisement