Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bosco Presenters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TUTS
    What was the num on Bosco's box?

AGHHHHHHHHH!:D
    It was a big green "5" I think. Though that would have clashed with Bosco's jumper so maybe it wasn't green. Constant reminder of the number of fingers he had in him.

No idea on the name of the cat in WW. Actually I don't remember a cat at all, though knowing my memory he was probably in every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nikita

"ruff", said flaherty,
    "caaw", said cornelius
    "meoiw", said ....... whatever the cat was called.

Ringing any bells with anyone? I'll hum the theme tune to Flaherty's Garden if that helps!!!

I've checked the RTE archives, they have the footage of Bosco but not of the shorts like Flaherty's Garden, Gregory and Grainne, Times the Tide, etc. Seemingly RTE didn't do them themselves, and they have no record of where they came from. I also asked Marian and a couple of other ppl who used to work on the show and nobody remembers!

anyone rem the names of the characters in Times the Tide or Gregory and Grainne either?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

"ruff", said flaherty,
    "caaw", said cornelius
    "meoiw", said ....... whatever the cat was called.

Flaherty and Cornelius are exactly right - but the cat?? :confused: Can't even remember a bleedin' cat...

"What a lovely day."

God but those lads had evil voices... *shudders*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by sceptre
    It was a big green "5" I think ... Constant reminder of the number of fingers he had in him.
    Ah, lol, there sceptre!

And yeah DMC, Marian Richardson is a producer in the radio centre. She tried to have me believe that she often gets guys cracking on to her because they have a "feitsh" for the whole bosco thing. I nearly puked, but out of politeness, managed to keep it to a mild wretching. In fairness to her, she was quite hammered at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I was afraid of my LIFE of the woman with the mad eyes and the pink dungarees so tight you could clearly make out her front bum........ she had long hair and an unfeasibly low pitched voice...... and I used to hide behind the couch when bosco went into his box.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

There's an ex Bosco guy giving a laughable performance as a cult member on Fair ****ty these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think the connery-soundalike cult leader is funnier :)

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Cool thread!

My aunt was in one of the magic door films - how cool is that?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

saw Frank in Cork city a few months ago. Well, "saw" him is a bit of a stretch. I screamed blue murder at some moron driving his car at 20mph on a dual carraigeway and as I overtook him I peered across to see Frank from Bosco. I nearly fell off my bike in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

aawwww, the memories! i looooooved bosco, and i was convinced that he loved me too, cos when he said, "hello everybody, hello boys and girls, hello (presenters)" i thought he was talking to me, cos i've the same name as one of em!!

.......kids can be really stupid........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

ok, this isn't entirely on topic, but it's not entirely off topic either.
    the magic door rhyme went:
    knock knock open wide, see what's on the other side
    knock knock .......

what's the last line??? i really have been trying to remember for the last while, but keep on forgetting to ask people or else people can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

im gonna go for

Knock knock any more (many more), come with me through the magic door.

Probably completely wrong though...

Yeah, you're right rymus (and it was "any more" rather than "many more")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Remember Twizzle on the seashore? There used to be a really short sketch with her in it every so often on Bosco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I just remember the blokes with the long necks - with that psuedo-nightmarish animation. Who came up with all these ideas. And why did the set always remind me of the BBC off-air screen with the girl at the blackboard? I think it was all the geometrical shapes around it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

See attachement, aww come on she aint scary at all, the clown on the other hand might be your culprit. Yeah bosco is nothing more than a fading memory now, I think it used to be on at 2:45 before the den used to start....but that would mean the den would have had to start at 3:15 which is all wrong, it must have been half 2 but then I would have been home from school early enough to catch the start, yeah that's probably right :P Can someone confirm this? I've been looking for the original bosco theme tune for a while now, anyone got it please?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just noticed this thread. If it's still of interest I'm pretty sure the cat was called Rosario.

I do believe pickarooney is right - certainly rang a bell in my head

I used to enjoy the plonksters (or whatever they were called). Nothing compared to Pib and Pog though (lack of machine guns and acid made all the difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

One of the Bosco presenters was in Fair City recently. I think it was Frank. Dopey looking camp guy anyway :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I remember the excitement when Bosco came to a local hotel I think it was for some pantomime or something like that.... I got a Bosco badge that day and I thought I was the business with it proudly pinned to my jumper (ah those were the days - when ya didn't worry about what other ppl thought!!!) I think I still have the badge at home somewhere, although it could well have been thrown out or given to some sale or something.

Also, my cousin was sitting on Bosco's box for some programme on tv I think they were singing or something, and they just happened to be filming in the studio that they filmed Bosco in.... she was dead surprised that bosco's box was so big it looked tiny when it was shown on the programme.

I used to love the tongue twister twins and would go into school the following day saying the tongue twister I had heard the previous day.. trying in vain to get them right whilst saying them five times faster than the time before.... "red leather, yellow leather, red leather, yellow leather" etc..... you get the idea!

Anyway, that's my Bosco reminiscing done for the day

AAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH I have the Bosco theme tune playing in a loop in my head now!!!!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i went to see that Bosco live show too. it was a load of ****e tbh but i saw the puppet in the flesh :) probably a clone but my memories make me happy

i found this little gem on this page
    RTÉ152 (MC) Bosco Golden Oldies
    cassette only €3.80

Originally posted by littleninja
    Also, my cousin was sitting on Bosco's box ... she was dead surprised that bosco's box was so big it looked tiny when it was shown on the programme.
    Yes, Bosco was indeed a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    I think it used to be on at 2:45 before the den used to start....but that would mean the den would have had to start at 3:15 which is all wrong, it must have been half 2 but then I would have been home from school early enough to catch the start, yeah that's probably right :P Can someone confirm this?

s'far as i remember it was on from 2:30 - 3:00 on network 2
    coz i used to get outa school at 2:00 when in junior and senior infants and it was always great timing.

bloody hell, i really really did love bosco.
    remember going to see him live!!!!!
    in letterkenny years and years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Got this from www.evilgerald.com :D

Saturday, 17.03.01 1.14pm

Hussein threatens world peace following theft of Magic Door Technology

World's psychopath mustachio Saddam Hussein is believed to have gained control of Bosco's Magic Door and intends to use it in his plan of world domination, says American military top brass.

The door's technology was brought to the attention of Saddam Hussein when the national TV station Allahababababad YWRX was showing episodes of Bosco, dubbed for the Iraqi market. Hussein, obviously amazed by RTE's technological ability to transport people to far away places, ordered his Elite Guard to seize the Magic Door from RTE's storage warehouse.

Fear and panic spread through the international community after hearing the shocking news and world supremo, US president George Double-yuh, immediately responded by bombing the **** out Baghdad. "With this technology," said RTE director general Bob Collins, "Saddam Hussein can launch a full scale attack anywhere he chooses, anywhere in the world - providing his Elite Translators have properly decoded the magic chant." However, top anarcho-linguist Baxter Baxter explained that the Magic Door rhyme is actually impossible to translate into Arabic "so it's unlikely they'll get to their bunkers yet alone Washington DC."

Black Republican, Colin Powell, echoed these concerns by issuing a state of national emergency, placing "a soldier on every corner - and that's pretty secure given the pride we Americans have for straight roads." No one is sure when or where Hussein will use the door but every country of the world is preparing for surprise attacks. "We don't know where this rat is going to strike first but it could even be your very own bathroom," warned Powell.

Dr. Patrick O'Lafferty, RTE Mad Scientist and inventor of the Magic Door, however, insists there is no cause for alarm. "We made the Magic Door some time ago and in those days, we could only make it respond to stupid rhymes so the users can't tell it where they want to go," explained Dr. O'Lafferty. "Technically, the only place Saddam can launch an attack is Dublin Zoo and that won't do him much good; I'd like to see him try firing a Scud out of the lemur pen."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I heard a couple of years back that one of the Bosco presenters died of aids....
    the bosco puppets were made in the IDA centre in strokestown & were a huge crimbo seller in 1984 I seems to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

my kids were talking in the back of the car today and i was shocked to hear them talking about.....dum dum dum..... bosco and how cute he was and how they loved him. Seemingly they have seen him in a local puppet show.....so it goes on and on and on
    gonk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

Wasn't Bosco from the Lambert Puppet Theatre stable like Wanderly Wagon?

And speaking of Wanderly Wagon, Foxy was indubitably my favourite.

Originally posted by earwicker
    Wasn't Bosco from the Lambert Puppet Theatre stable like Wanderly Wagon?
    Yup

He was blatantly only asking the question so that so he could bang on about Wanderly Wagon.

Ant & Dec often make more cunning links.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

Bear with me on this one (I promise not to cunningly get people to talk about WW).

I was thinking about Bosco, and I remembered a short-lived (I think) animated show that RTE made donkey's ago. The animators may have also been responsible for the orgasmic tongue-twisters (tenuous link, I'm aware). The programme seemed to take place on a sort of refuse-filled world, and there were two main characters (one may have been named something like "Stitch"). They may have been cobbled together from the debris around them. I know that's vague, but that's all I can remember of it. Anyone know anything about this?

Advertisement