Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bosco Presenters

• 15-04-2003 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

We had big argument in our house last night about the names of the presenters of Bosco (i know but it was that or study for exams)
    I said there was a philip and 2 of my house mates say i'm wrong,
    I said there was a suzy and they all say i'm wrong, i think im right, so how many can you remember?
    Here's what we came up with,
    Frank
    Philip (y/n)
    Marian
    Suzy(y/n)
    Johnathan

There's more.... care to enlighten me anyone.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

All your names are totally correct.

Frank was the rather happy bald chap (last seen on Bull Island)
    Philip was the younger camp chap (often wearing a stripy sweater)
    Marian Richardson was the one with the brown hair (last time I saw her she was doing reports for Today Tonight)
    Suzy was chubby.
    Jonathan Ryan was the chap with the beard (also played some character on the Irish RM)

Can't remember them all but I can add:
    Liam (used say "like so")
    David (wooly jumper bloke, probably the oldest, the voice for one of the two closing songs)
    Barbara (chubby also)

Fortycoats played Santa

That's my entire contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Philip was definitely there. I saw him in town the other day, it was quite strange. Nobody else remembered him.

Sceptre, how the f**k do you remember these people in such detail. Me reckons you've got some inside info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

All sounds about right to me. They were a pretty weird collection of people to be presenting a children's programme in 1980's Ireland by all accounts. I remember reading an article somewhere several years ago about Bosco (I think it was about the time RTE announced they were going to stop showing it - early '90's about). It turns out that two of the presenters were gay and one was a lesbian and that one had a serious drug problem (cocaine, I think).

As for Jonathon Ryan, he's done quite a bit of serious acting and you can often hear him doing voiceovers on ads on the radio. Look out for a scene in the film "Patriot Games" where he plays an IRA terrorist having a meeting with another terrorist in a pub, spots an attractive girl, takes off the wedding ring, goes over to her, chats her up, gets her into the sack, she goes to her bag for a sec, he turns and says, "Ah, come on darling, you're not going to make me wear a rubber. You know, the Catholic church says that's a sin." She whips out a gun, says, "So's this, darling!" and he gets a double-tap to the head. That'll teach him! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thanks guys, I've had a hard day and was looking foward to a good nights sleep but not now.....Boscooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Wasn't there a Grainne as well??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You're thinking of Gregory Grainneog! :D:D

Marion Richardson is a reseacher still in RTÉ, I believe on Pat Kenny's radio show.

Edit: Ha! just checked on the Radio 1 website to confirm what Marion is doing, she the producer, so my apologies for doing a dis-service, but I see that RTÉ's old space cadet Leo Enright is standing in for Plank for two weeks. No space report on RTÉ in the 80's was worth its salt if he wasnt there!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i was through the "magic door" once.

never came back out......

Originally posted by krankykitty
    Wasn't there a Grainne as well??
    I think there was. Curly brown hair if I remember rightly, she was the "not chubby and not Marion" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    All sounds about right to me. They were a pretty weird collection of people to be presenting a children's programme in 1980's Ireland by all accounts. I remember reading an article somewhere several years ago about Bosco (I think it was about the time RTE announced they were going to stop showing it - early '90's about). It turns out that two of the presenters were gay and one was a lesbian and that one had a serious drug problem (cocaine, I think).

Didn't one of the gay male presenters die of AIDS? Twas quite strange to think that this is the group that shaped the minds of Ireland's current young adults. Must be why we're so open and tolerant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Anybody remeber PIRATE WEEK on Bosco? Or the way the tongue twisters built up to a climax and ended with a post-orgasmic sigh? Or the magic jig-saws? Or Bosco sulking in the box? Oh the memories...
    Frankopened the new toilets in The Other Place nightlcub (gay) in Cork last month... we all sand "Knock knock open wide..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by sceptre

Barbara (chubby also)

There was also a Bairbre (not the same as the "Barbara" you mention) who wasn't chubby ... but was, in fact, quite slim, had dark hair and wore a pink shell-suit.

She's a relation of mine. She went on to be quite a successful actress, theatrical producer and director and playwright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I particularly liked the episode where the camera went INSIDE the bosca...

Did anyone have the bosco story and song tape?
    That filled many an hour for me as a kid :p

Originally posted by Bard
    There was also a Bairbre (not the same as the "Barbara" you mention) who wasn't chubby ... but was, in fact, quite slim, had dark hair and wore a pink shell-suit.

Ah rings a bell. Pink shell suits aren't the kind of thing you forget. I'm guessing she's had some nightmares about it too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Have a look here
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/40years/onthebox2.html
    You can play a clip from the show!
    I think I can remember a Gráinne.
    My sister was mentally scarred when they cancelled that show!
    Does anybody remember the Supermarket with the potatoes? Can't for the life of me think of the name!
    The magic door, what a blast from the past. They always seemed to end up in the zoo.
    What about the creatures made out of plasticine (or mala depending on where you were from)? they could change shapes and stuff, fun fun fun!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

that would be Savers Supermarket.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by sceptre
    Ah rings a bell. Pink shell suits aren't the kind of thing you forget. I'm guessing she's had some nightmares about it too:D

Surprisingly enough, the topic doesn't come up in conversation much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Savers! The spud family! Class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Originally posted by evie

The magic door, what a blast from the past. They always seemed to end up in the zoo.
    What about the creatures made out of plasticine (or mala depending on where you were from)? they could change shapes and stuff, fun fun fun!
    :)

That blasted magic door!! Usually Dublin Zoo alright but can anyone remember the trips to an ice-cream factory where they showed how Choc-Ices and Brunches (nyom!) were made?

Also, were those plasticine creatures called The Plonksters or some sort?

Heh heh, Seamus and Sheila McSpud :p

Class!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

There definitely was a Gráinne. She had an annoying naselesque, high pitched voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Originally posted by rubadub
    i was through the "magic door" once.

is that what you crazy kids are calling it these days?:rolleyes:

cant remember the presenters names at all, but i can sum them up in 3 words.

bunch-of-stoners

i remember going into some sort of bosco show in Leisureland in Galway at the height of its popularity and being really disappointed that i didnt win bosco puppet......
    I do have a bosco mug tho!

I'm so cool....

I also remember that magic door thing where some kid goes to a supermarket and then to the meat counter, where he walks thru these double doors only to arrive in a field with a cow and a butcher.
    if i remember correctly the butcher had a cleaver and took a lump of beef from the cow without the use of the cleaver or hurting the cow.

what a magic door it was too.....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Okie
    Heh heh, Seamus and Sheila McSpud :p
    Stop it, stop it, stop it!

My younger sister is named Sheila. For anyone who doesn't know, I'm Seamus

It was hell at school for the ten minutes before I realised the best solution was to point and shout: "Haha, you watch Bosco!"
    (didn't work as well for my sister as she was probably only seven or thereabouts at the time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

I'm really very sorry *Guffaw* sceptre. No really, *chortle* You have my *hee hee* deepest sympathy..........

HA HA!!! HEY LOOK EVERYBODY
    >

IT'S ONE OF THE McSPUDS!!!!

Sorry, didn't mean it. Don't hurt me! :confused:

Mummy!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Cian H

Did they ever get bosco back after he/she was kidknapped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭YoungNastyMan

Thers was a Mary Garriock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Originally posted by Amnesiac_ie

Frankopened the new toilets in The Other Place nightlcub (gay) in Cork last month... we all sand "Knock knock open wide..."

/me laughs his balls off
    Originally posted by Panda

I do have a bosco mug tho!

darn you. all i got was a damn cup. still have it today but the paint is a little faded

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

does anybody remember the name of the dog, and the crow....had an original bosco doll the head was mad of wood and all, could have been worth a bit if my flupin dog didnt decide to chew on the little buggers head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I think you're getting your "Bosco's" mixed up with your "Wanderly Wagon's" there, swalsh. I don't recall there being a dog and a crow in Bosco, but there was in Wanderly Wagon. The dog's name was Judge but I can't remember the crow's name. Never fear though, I'm sure one of the other late 70's/early 80's children in here will be able to remember! ;)

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    I can't remember the crow's name.
    "Mister Crow"

Probably didn't take them long to come up with that one. It was also (badly) written on his jumper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 malichizer

it's been bugging me for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TUTS

What was the num on Bosco's box?

AGHHHHHHHHH!:D

Advertisement