Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to measure tenants usage?

Options
  • 17-05-2021 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Hi All

As the folks are getting older they are going to separate off and rent out a portion of their house. Is there any options for gas/electric usage by tenants without having to go the route of a separate meter? I was talking to my electrician and he thought there was something out there but wasnt sure which. Obviously another option is to just include bills in their rent but just wondering if there is such a thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

mel123 wrote: »
    Hi All

As the folks are getting older they are going to separate off and rent out a portion of their house. Is there any options for gas/electric usage by tenants without having to go the route of a separate meter? I was talking to my electrician and he thought there was something out there but wasnt sure which. Obviously another option is to just include bills in their rent but just wondering if there is such a thing.

It’s unlikely you’ll split the property without major work. Best to include services in the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yes you can get a CT clip and then record the usage but to be honest without a meter / coin box you won't have a reliable reader if the tenant questions it.

I'd just include bills in rent and average off over the year. If the bills are getting expensive then rise the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

Hi All

This is quite simple. Have them record each time they use an electricial appliance.

7.30 am Kettle 2000 watts 2 mins
    7.45 am Toaster 1000 watts 1 min
    7.50 am Anal Massager 5000 watts 30 mins

Then at the end of each month you can calculate up the KWh used and bill accordingly.

If the guests do the same you could compare data sets to ensure any discrepancies are noted.

Maybe even a shared online worksheet like google sheets could keep the calculations simple to avoid mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Fairest way is to look at the average bills over the past 2 years on a month by month basis.

Then look at the difference in the same month that the tenant is there and that is the cost + a 1/3rd cost of the standing charges. EG June 2019 150.00, June 2020 155.00, June 2021 215.00. Tenant = €60 + €20 towards standing charges. Total €80

BTW - make sure your parents have switched or have updated their pricing to save up to 30% on the usage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Actually this thread opens an interesting topic, are you allowed resell electricity off the grid.
    Imagine you had a 3 phase supply, are you permitted to meter off the phases and sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks all for the replies. As i thought, just charge for bill in or with rent is the easiest solution.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks all for the replies. As i thought, just charge for bill in or with rent is the easiest solution.

The only thing you have to worry about is that they buy an electric heater or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Including services charges in the rent is a recipe for disaster imho. Service charges are only going one way. With every increase the owner needs to increase rent and one can only imagine the reaction from the tenants. Much depends on the nature of the tenants but after a couple of increases I could imagine them demanding proof of their usage. There will always be suspicion of overcharging.If no agreement is reached they could refuse to pay the increase and ultimately stop paying rent. Then what???
    A lengthy engagement with the PRTB and an acrimonious relationship in their own home.
    Not a recipe for a happy retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I agree with Cerco, recipe for a proper cluster-fxxx of a retirement.
    I don't even know would they be tenants as per the PRTB.
    will there be a shared entrance?

consumption will need to be measured for all services so would be easier if the heating for the other folk if it was on a heat pump and put a certified meter like something from here
    https://www.ndmeter.co.uk/index.html
    I use these so know they pass muster and cannot be interfered with
    The ND 350, which I have is a 3 phase, but it is used for 3 different circuits, kitchen, heat pump, EV charging at the consumer unit.
    Down size...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

No point

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

You cannot deduct expenses from your rental income while claiming rent-a-room relief.

You will not qualify for the relief if:
    • Your gross income from rent and related services is over €14,000 .(including ALL tenant payments for services such as ESB, water, Bins, TV etc etc etc )
    • You are renting the room in your home to your civil partner, son or daughter (but there is no restriction in the case of other family members)
    • You are an employee or office-holder in a company, and the company pays you to allow clients to use the room in your home on an occasional basis
    • You are renting the room to short-term guests, for example, through an online accommodation booking site

• Advertisement
Advertisement