Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new lawn/kill old moss first?

• 17-05-2021 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

My mother in law's front garden is lawn (mostly moss and perennial weeds). I'm going to remove the existing sod, dig it over, lay new lawn turf and make a few mixed borders around the edge.

I've sprayed roundup to kill the grass/weeds and am wondering do i need to kill the moss seperately before digging up the sod (once the grass/weeds are dead).

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭standardg60

No, not if you're removing the sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

Thanks Standard - yea I’m removing the sod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You have me slightly worried? Why get rid of your best topsoil by removing the sods. If you aren't putting in new soil then just kill off the existing sward then rotavate. If the grass is long cut it down first. Remove any grassy lumps as you level out.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Pretty much every guide i read online about replacing a lawn (I replaced mine recently with turf) said to remove the sod before rotovating cause the rotovator wont break up the sod. My mother in laws lawn is tiny so i'll digging it over with a fork but I preume the same applies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

okedoke wrote: »
    Pretty much every guide i read online about replacing a lawn (I replaced mine recently with turf) said to remove the sod before rotovating cause the rotovator wont break up the sod. My mother in laws lawn is tiny so i'll digging it over with a fork but I preume the same applies?

If its that small double dig and bury the broken up sods.

In town gardens the soil often builds up over builders rubble below so once you scab the surface off you don't really have much top soil left.

Commercially you don't have the time or energy to scab the grass off but if you have a short sward/weeds and spray them off wait a few weeks (which some people don't want to do) then when you rotovate the sods break up quite well.

Rotovating isn't just 5 minutes with the rotovator. I'd normally do 3-4 passes in different directions.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks - I'll have a think about doing that

Advertisement