Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rusty door sill, time to change car?

• 17-05-2021 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Mods, please move to Buying/ Selling thread if more appropriate.

First off, sorry that this will be a bit of a polemic, but looking for advice.

Currently have a 06 Octavia (1.9 diesel, 228K Km on clock), taxed for 12 months, NCT due in September, service less than 500 Km ago, with new rear disks/ pads, 4 new tyres on top of the usual.

We're planning an extension on our house, most likely next year, so would be taking out a small mortgage for that, and the plan was to change the car at some point after that, and would most likely have gone electric, as currently only doing about 8k Km per year.

But, to the crux, spotted some rust on the offside door sill, just above the stone chip paint, and while some of it looks to be surface rust, some of it looks to be a bit deeper. From interwebs research, it looks to be a common enough issue with Octavias of this generation. So, I could possibly have it repaired, but may be a case of more money after bad.

Speaking with the wife, we could spend 20-25K on something second hand, but there's not a huge amount out there that suits my mileage. And then there's the whole other issue of I have feck all idea of what I'd actually like. The wife doesn't drive, but likes the higher seating position of crossovers, whereas I'd like a wee bit of luxury in my middle age...

tldr; 20-25k, looking for a small amount of luxury, any suggestions?

Comments

Currently have a 06 Octavia (1.9 diesel, 228K Km on clock), taxed for 12 months, NCT due in September, service less than 500 Km ago, with new rear disks/ pads, 4 new tyres on top of the usual.

We're planning an extension on our house, most likely next year, so would be taking out a small mortgage for that, and the plan was to change the car at some point after that, and would most likely have gone electric, as currently only doing about 8k Km per year.

But, to the crux, spotted some rust on the offside door sill, just above the stone chip paint, and while some of it looks to be surface rust, some of it looks to be a bit deeper. From interwebs research, it looks to be a common enough issue with Octavias of this generation. So, I could possibly have it repaired, but may be a case of more money after bad. ........

Stick to plan IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't do anything until you have NCTd it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Augeo wrote: »
    Stick to plan IMO.

Thanks Augeo. Just to clarify, we wouldn't be taking out a loan to buy, it would be from savings.
    biko wrote: »
    Don't do anything until you have NCTd it.

Thanks biko. I'm not in a panic to do anything, as the car's mechanically sound. Was looking for general advice.

I suppose I should also add, I've wanted to change the car for years, but not needed to. And technically, I still don't need to, it's just giving me more of a reason to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Can you put up a pic of the rust spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭User1998

Only consider buying a new car if your current one fails the NCT. If it passes I’d drive it for another year at least

• Advertisement

Sorry folks, should probably have added this in sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, I wouldn't do a thing with that.

Take it for it's NCT and if it fails you'd get that plated fairly cheaply and that would tide the car over for another few years. €3 or 400 would do a nice tidy job on that most places.

Yeah, I wouldn't do a thing with that.

Take it for it's NCT and if it fails you'd get that plated fairly cheaply and that would tide the car over for another few years. €3 or 400 would do a nice tidy job on that most places.

Last stupid question, any benefit to booking it in early for an NCT, seen as it would still be valid until September 2022 if it passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ptyloch

My brother-in-law had a similar problem with a 04 Panda, it failed the NCT on only this so I brought it to my mechanic.

He did a small welding job, it passed the NCT and the car is good for another year of driving for 50 euro that the mechanic charged.

You don't have to get it done at a crash repair/panel beater and have it colour matched to the rest of the car.

Just get it done by someone who knows what they are doing and you'll be back on the road for a few quid and not 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

If it was mine and depending how handy you are. at this stuff and suitable tools . I would carefully remove the blistering loose rust , treat it with a rust converter and give it a dusting of zinc primer . Give it a dusting of aerosol top coat and a coat of lacquer after if you want it to blend it better than silver zinc primer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement