Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Micheal O' Leary: What a fu-cking whinge bag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Ireland would be screwed if it wasn't for Ryanair, and remember we are an island, and now Ryanair is our national carrier through default and not IAG aer lingus. So show some respect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Maybe air travel should go back to being the preserve of the wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

branie2 wrote: »
    If it wasn't for him, we'd be taking the ferry to England or France

He has played a major role in making air travel more affordable.

Having said that, so has technology, more efficient, better designed and lighter aircraft... using multiple less tonnes of fuel, cheaper yet more reliable to maintain... so boeing and airbus have kicked it off, o’leary took the ball and ran sure...credit where it’s due in that respect...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is he not the same as any other being on the planet? I mean if for some bizarre reason the contents of Paul McCartney's bank account was the sort of thing that would keep you awake at night then you have the option to not buy a Beatles album next time you're out shopping. No one gives a flying fukc if you want to hand a thousand euros over to Aer Lingus or Lufthansa next time you need to sit on a plane for an hour, knock yourself out, I'll swallow my pride and pay the tenner to fly with Mick.

You do that and end up getting a clot on the squashed Ryanair seats with no legroom too. That's your choice your body.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

AMKC wrote: »
    Honestly is that all he can do whinge. Nothing constructive ever comes out of his big fat mouth. .

Other than allowing countless millions of working class people to see the world...create tens of thousands of jobs...generated billions into the Irish economy and demolished the Union and Management Cushy Number at Aer Lingus and Aer Rinta ripping off the Irish nation for generations.

yeah, he hasn't risen to your level of perfection yet.

• Advertisement

I don't believe for a minute he is the sole reason for cheap flights

Sure pre-pandemic it was just as cheap to fly to new York than it was to half the places in Europe with this lad.

Personally I've no time for Ryanair, I purposely go out of my way to avoid flying them and the last time I did to Poland I actually got cheaper flights roughly €100 cheaper with Lufthansa than Ryanair, going to the likes of Spain etc , Iberia, Vueling, aer lingus etc all worked out cheaper for me in the past.

I'd love to know who's going on a weekend shopping spree in Paris and Milan and flying Ryanair because that doesn't sound right to me. RYANAIR leaving you miles outside Paris meaning you've to get a crowded bus to a city then onto your hotel again.

But anyway I'm sure everyone who absolutely loves Ryanair and think they are the only airline they would ever fly with will be happy to learn they ordered their own special Boeing max 8 planes with roughly 220 seats. The FAA etc had to get ryanair planes it's own safety certification because it's capacity is more than any other Max 8 plane. Also with the shortest leg room in a commerical airline today ! So there's that too.

I'd be happy for Ryanair to stay around however. Because in the airport you can see the type of people that fly with them and the trouble that can be caused. All you have to do is look around their gates in Terminal 1 and half the place is on a session and very loud. I'd happily leave them to their own plane thanks.

I don’t buy that Ryanair are worse than most everybody else either. Like everybody else, back when I could fly, I took the cheapest ticket. Be it Ryanair, Lufthansa, British Airways or Aer Lingus. The differences were slight. Ryanair has the most modern fleet, the others are slightly more comfortable.

Most of the pain in flying is the airport itself. Security. The long walk to gates. When I’m on the plane I’m happy.

(In fact when priority boarding was free for the online savvy Ryanair was better than the rest)

Never saw a session on a Ryanair flight by the way. Charter planes and east jet maybe worse, but shy plane can have sessions. Why would that be if Ryanair isn’t the cheapest anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Other than allowing countless millions of working class people to see the world...create tens of thousands of jobs...generated billions into the Irish economy and demolished the Union and Management Cushy Number at Aer Lingus and Aer Rinta ripping off the Irish nation for generations.

yeah, he hasn't risen to your level of perfection yet.

You seem to have convieniently forgotten that the owners of the above were the Irish state who were gouging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

I'm old enough to remember (and it isn't actually that long ago!!!) you'd need the price of a decent second-hand car just to get off this island, and that was only as far as London. Weekend shopping trips to Paris and Madrid seem to be taken for granted these days, but before RyanAir came along the only people you'd see on a plane were either rich or else emigrating with a very small expectation of flying back home anytime soon.

This is the way it should be. We should not be jetting off to Lisbon "for the weekend" (pre covid I know).

People should not be free to fly halfway around the world for for €500 quid.

The aviation industry needs to be taxed into oblivion.

Want to go to Portugal? Yeah next sailing is tomorrow morning at 8, bring a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

I don't believe for a minute he is the sole reason for cheap flights

Go to Canada and try to get a cheap flight then. Upwards of €600 for a flight the same distance as Dublin to Warsaw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Ryanair work on the basis that "Any PR is good PR"
    They release stories previously about having passengers with no seats etc, just so people would fly off the handle and discuss them across social media. They will do anything for media attention and keep themselves in the news

In regards to the OP point, Michael O'Leary is right, plenty of bloated airlines getting propped up by governments which makes it unfair for the non-government airlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 mrh1974

riewomann wrote: »
    This is the way it should be. We should not be jetting off to Lisbon "for the weekend" (pre covid I know).

Want to go to Portugal? Yeah next sailing is tomorrow morning at 8, bring a book.

*in your opinion.

Why tax? Why not give one return ticket per person per year, including business people?

the top 10% do most of the flying and higher tax won't help there.

You might also want to read up on the misery of getting off this island pre cheap flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

You do that and end up getting a clot on the squashed Ryanair seats with no legroom too. That's your choice your body.

I am a tall person with even longer legs and never had problems in Ryanair planes. I find it really bizarre, how people keep repeating this nonsense.

I don't believe for a minute he is the sole reason for cheap flights.

Ryanair are not the sole reason for cheap flights. Plenty of airlines had tried before. Ryanair are one of the first to provide cheap flights and make an absolute fortune out of it.

They are also one of the first who went to random airports instead of the main airports to drive down cost. I don't know the exact history but you can probably point to a lot of things Ryanair did which now allows for cheap flight

Stuff like removing the instruction and putting them on back of seat etc....I think all of this came from Ryanair

I guess this is to do with green agenda?
    They done research and a plane load full of people flying from London to Glasgow(I think it was) released less CO2 than all of those people driving up to Glasgow in cars.

Plus boats have horrendous CO2 outputs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 riewomann

fvp4 wrote: »
    Why tax? Why not give one return ticket per person per year, including business people?

the top 10% do most of the flying and higher tax won't help there.

You might also want to read up on the misery of getting off this island pre cheap flights.

Yeah you're right, maybe a system where each flight doubles in cost.

ie first flight 1x price
    second flight 2x price
    third flight 3x price

Anything to reduce the environmental impact of all these unnecessary flights.

Michael O'Leary has probably done more damage to our environment than all the coal burning power plants in China combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Go to Canada and try to get a cheap flight then. Upwards of €600 for a flight the same distance as Dublin to Warsaw.

Skyscanner has flights from Toronto to Vancouver listed from €59, which is a 5 hour (3361km) flight. 1000km further than Dublin to Warsaw.

553347.png

JoChervil wrote: »
    I am a tall person with even longer legs and never had problems in Ryanair planes. I find it really bizarre, how people keep repeating this nonsense.

There is slightly more room on an Are Lingus plane, but not much.

He's like Trump if Trump

......had'nt incited a mob on the White House

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

ie first flight 1x price
    second flight 2x price
    third flight 3x price

Michael O'Leary has probably done more damage to our environment than all the coal burning power plants in China combined.

Ireland emits 0.1% of world total

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

Coal seam fires worldwide emit 3%, most of it in China. So the coal that doesn't even make it to the power plant aready emits a lot more

Some of Ryanair's emmissions probably fall under UK but that whole country is still only emits 1% of total.

This auld squabbling over people taking a few flights or perhaps deciding to buy a car with a 6 litre engine doesn't even register on the scale. We could all decide to go on 5 foreign holidays a year and start driving Aston Martins and it would make feck all difference to EU emissions, in the long run it won't even stop the downward trend of Ireland's emissions because all the old fuel burning power plants are being phased out and these cause the bulk of our emissions.

• Advertisement

I don’t buy that Ryanair are worse than most everybody else either. Like everybody else, back when I could fly, I took the cheapest ticket. Be it Ryanair, Lufthansa, British Airways or Aer Lingus. The differences were slight. Ryanair has the most modern fleet, the others are slightly more comfortable.

Most of the pain in flying is the airport itself. Security. The long walk to gates. When I’m on the plane I’m happy.

(In fact when priority boarding was free for the online savvy Ryanair was better than the rest)

Never saw a session on a Ryanair flight by the way. Charter planes and east jet maybe worse, but shy plane can have sessions. Why would that be if Ryanair isn’t the cheapest anymore.

Well the walk is shorter of you aren't Ryanair generally and no way could you claim there's little difference between the service.

It's worth paying a little extra to avoid the stampede, not get harassed over your bag and be able to relax without constant advertisements.

I'm small so leg room doesn't really matter but if I'm looking at flights and there's not much difference in price, I'm avoiding Ryanair.

The lager lout people will be on the cheap benidorm / etc flight regardless of airline but as that's generally Ryanair, that's the right you will find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Well the walk is shorter of you aren't Ryanair generally and no way could you claim there's little difference between the service.

It's worth paying a little extra to avoid the stampede, not get harassed over your bag and be able to relax without constant advertisements.

I'm small so leg room doesn't really matter but if I'm looking at flights and there's not much difference in price, I'm avoiding Ryanair.

The lager lout people will be on the cheap benidorm / etc flight regardless of airline but as that's generally Ryanair, that's the right you will find them.
    I've used Ryanair many times, flying over to England to see football matches. And I've never seen any "lager lout" bust ups. The odd boisterous hen/stag group, but nothing ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Lol, never a hood sign when OP has been banned from posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm done listening to O'Leary and his BS.

Very glad the Government is paying no attention to his attempts at bullying them back into busy air travel. Only this afternoon the Health Sec in the UK is reporting a "huge surge" in Indian variant cases in Britain, and thats with a relatively high level of vaccination.

I'm sorry to say I think Portugal and some other countries who rely heavily on sunshine tourism are going to pay a heavy price for rolling the dice on reopening to visitors on a wide scale.

As for O'Leary, he should concentrate on vaccinating all of his staff and making sure they are as safe as possible, because they are ones he is gambling with in laying on loads of flights in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Lol, never a hood sign when OP has been banned from posting!

Yerrah I'd take no notice of that.

Once a poster starts becoming a bit prolific the mods tend to start latching on. Perhaps they didn't break any rules but that doesn't leave one immune to mod hassle.

Mods will start hassling in this manner to prevent "soap boxing" and gaining too much attention. They perfected this technique with a certain political fella who used to post here years ago. He skated on thin ice for a very long time and after receiving a lot of hassle he eventually lost his temper and they threw the book at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

ie first flight 1x price
    second flight 2x price
    third flight 3x price

I'd quit while you are ahead, if I were you.

Have you explored the prevalence of child abuse, domestic violence, people trafficking, fuel poverty, and the like in your community?
    What have you done about it today?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I once admired this man and the success he brought to Ryanair, not bad for a one time personal assistant to Tony Ryan, but his behaviour during the pandemic was quite appalling and borderline dispicable, the Jab and Go fiasco said it all. If there's one positive thing to come out of this pandemic it's this Ghastly individual having to report substantial losses.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

blueser wrote: »
    I've used Ryanair many times, flying over to England to see football matches. And I've never seen any "lager lout" bust ups. The odd boisterous hen/stag group, but nothing ridiculous.

Well I dont recall suggesting fist fight on the flight. I just said 'lager lout' groups. Lads going to matches, stags, hens or whatever.

Your 9.99 Stansted 6am flight will have a few onboard sometimes and if you look up youtube clips, the fights do seem to be on Ryanair flights mainly.

That all said, I would do a one day to matches a few times a season and fly monthly for family reasons. So far I havent had to hold down any lunatics either but I have had my share of drunks and smelly ****ers sitting beside me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Honestly is that all he can do whinge. Nothing constructive ever comes out of his big fat mouth.
    On Sky News this morning whinging as usual because Ryanair are not getting any funding from state home-state owned Airlines. Can't say I am sorry in the slightest. In fact if Ryanair were to ho bust I would be delighted. It's bad for myths environment and its staff are overworked and underpaid. If you want to fly you should have a good reason to fly not be going on 5 or 6 holidays a year. I am glad the Pandemic has but on end to most of that excessive holidaying and hope it never goes back like that.

Mod: Title edited on spelling and removing misogyny grounds.

If this thread doesnt play out as lighthearted, its getting closed and you can take the serious discussion to CA.

You should have a "good reason" to fly?

Excuse me but flying is a mode of conveyance. Much like driving, sailing, swimming, cycling, walking, running, taking a bus or a train.

If someone wants or needs to travel from A to B, no matter the method employed, then what is a "good" reason and what is a "bad" reason?

• Advertisement

You should have a "good reason" to fly?

Excuse me but flying is a mode of conveyance. Much like driving, sailing, swimming, cycling, walking, running, taking a bus or a train.

If someone wants or needs to travel from A to B, no matter the method employed, then what is a "good" reason and what is a "bad" reason?

Yeah, the OP is banned Alan.

Advertisement