Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you just don't get...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

The obsession (even on this side of the channel) with the British Royal Family

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

RikkFlair wrote: »
    The obsession (even on this side of the channel) with the British Royal Family

Outside of the media I think it's limited, they sort of come across as a variation on the Ozzy Osbourne/ Kardassian reality crap

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Sports

I don't get how someone can not like any sport and usually assume that it's not actually true

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭NiceFella

on a vaccum cleaner there is this collar on the tube that you rotate to reduce the suction. it lets air in. Its not like you are saving electricity as full motor is still going. not sure why a vaccum would have this.

I'm not 100% but I think that is for if something big gets caught in the line before it gets down to the ribbed part.

Not really that effective if that's what it's for.

Unnecessary Movie sequels.

Similar to the superhero movies post above, do we really need anymore Terminator, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Indiana Jones movies?

Do something original!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Saturday Night Live on American telly. Is it that I don't get it or is it really that bad?

It seems really popular but I've watched loads of clips of it and I've never once cracked a smile. I've heard this cowbell sketch was meant to be the best one, but jeez... awful rubbish.

Any others

SNL has lost so many excellent cast members and its certainly shows, looking back at some older shows, there's some incredibly funny stuff. This weekends skit on Anthony Faucci was actually Hillarious, dealing with the confused CDC face mask recommendations. Worth also looking back at Will Ferrell and Bill Heders time on the show, but yes it's gone down hill and by far the worse sketch was distasteful and unfunny irish airline one, Saoirse Ronan certainly didn't crown herself in glory on her appearance either, it was shocking bad.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't get how someone can not like any sport and usually assume that it's not actually true

I couldn't give a shiny ****e about watching or yakking obsessively about any of them.
    Sorry to burst your sportsball.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Rugby.

Get the ball,jump on the ground,give it back to your mate, he does the same.

Then a little lad throws it to a slightly bigger lad who kicks it off the pitch and everyone claps.

Stupid f*@king game.

Unnecessary Movie sequels.

Similar to the superhero movies post above, do we really need anymore Terminator, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Indiana Jones movies?

Do something original!

But we wouldn't have gotten Godfather 2 or Aliens if no sequels

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭NiceFella

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Super hero movies.

Its just the same movie over and over again

Yes! And you can throw in James Bond too. Oh wait for it he's in a bad situation and hey Presto he saves the day again. Yawn. Can't understand the appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Expensive cars....

Sure if you have heaps of money, but the average joe who busts a gut to get a BMW or whatever.

There are so many other - better - things you can do with that money.

I dont get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Dempo1 wrote: »
    SNL has lost so many excellent cast members and its certainly shows, looking back at some older shows, there's some incredibly funny stuff. This weekends skit on Anthony Faucci was actually Hillarious, dealing with the confused CDC face mask recommendations. Worth also looking back at Will Ferrell and Bill Heders time on the show, but yes it's gone down hill and by far the worse sketch was distasteful and unfunny irish airline one, Saoirse Ronan certainly didn't crown herself in glory on her appearance either, it was shocking bad.

One thing about SNL is that its tailor made for youtube, the short sketch model.

Has it gone downhill? I've looked at a lot of the older sketches, cant say they are better than the newer ones.

Its clearly a springboard, so inevitably the best performers will leave to do their own show.

My own personal favourite is probably So Ghetto, love that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I couldn't give a shiny ****e about watching or yakking obsessively about any of them.
    Sorry to burst your sportsball.

You've probably just not found the one you like. You're not going to enjoy this summer at all so. Olympics and European Championships. Maybe watch some of the Olympics and see if there is anything you enjoy. Badminton can be very entertaining. When you start enjoying a sport it really is great entertainment.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Expensive cars....

Sure if you have heaps of money, but the average joe who busts a gut to get a BMW or whatever.

There are so many other - better - things you can do with that money.

I dont get it.

Some people buy expensive clothes, some people take 3 holidays a year others like a nice car,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

SUVs

Especially electric SUVs. What's the point in something with the same interior space as a hatchback or estate that will be far less battery efficient and uses far more greenhouse emissions to produce? They make no damn sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Rugby.

Then a little lad throws it to a slightly bigger lad who kicks it off the pitch and everyone claps.

Stupid f*@king game.
    There's a few enjoyable moments in between all the stopping and starting. I prefer to just watch the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Say you're vacuuming and you hit a sock. Sock gets stuck to the head. You open that valve, the suction is reduced, and the sock falls off. Useful when vacuuming curtains too.

thanks, learn something new everyday

- people that spend 40k plus on a house extension cause they saw dermot bannon do it. these people think they will be entertaining daily when they will just be watching tv everyday.

- i know really rich childless people that are working hard in stressful jobs into their 60s with bank balances over over 1million. they will die rich on paper

- why jobs with more emphasis on brain (lawyers, accountants) pay so much higher than people good with hands (plumbers, sparkies) or people who use their heart (nurses, social workers)

Dav010 wrote: »
    Fair City.

It’s a low budget soap opera produced by RTÉ and set in the fictional Dublin suburb of Barrystown.

It’s not exactly season 2 of Twin Peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

- people that spend 40k plus on a house extension cause they saw dermot bannon do it. these people think they will be entertaining daily when they will just be watching tv everyday.

- i know really rich childless people that are working hard in stressful jobs into their 60s with bank balances over over 1million. they will die rich on paper

- why jobs with more emphasis on brain (lawyers, accountants) pay so much higher than people good with hands (plumbers, sparkies) or people who use their heart (nurses, social workers)

Not like they have much else to do I guess?

• Advertisement

Rugby.

Stupid f*@king game.

I like rugby but that’s a fair summation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You've probably just not found the one you like. You're not going to enjoy this summer at all so. Olympics and European Championships. Maybe watch some of the Olympics and see if there is anything you enjoy. Badminton can be very entertaining. When you start enjoying a sport it really is great entertainment.

There are other things you can enjoy, can't imagine being glued to a screen during summer.
    Each to their own.

People get house extensions for more space usually.

They probably want to die poor enough if they don’t have children. The million is to spend while retired.

That’s not even necessarily true. But people get the market rate. If something is harder to do then supply is lower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Social Media
    Coffee
    Portugal
    Sun Holidays
    The obsessive need to mass import cultural nonsense from the US
    Sport
    Reality TV
    Soaps
    Subsctiption services for everything

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Humans. For all our supposed "intelligence", so many only gives a rat's butt about themselves and so much of the world is basically still living in the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

On the night club one, I think in Ireland we do it wrong. Wouldn’t it be better to go there at let’s say 11/12 and sober? As in that’s the event, for a night owl, rather than an extension of a session...and needing to drink coke (or snort it) or Red Bull to keep going.

It’s just an excess. Already sunk a fair chunk of cash buying pints in a bar, then off to a nightclub, trying to act sober enough to get past the oaf at the door, then spend €€€€ on overpriced and probably watered down spirits.

Just sounds like a waste of money doing it that way, and you’ll only remember half of what happened the next day, while nursing a massive hangover and an empty wallet.

Then again I’m old, but I still thought the same way as a sprightly young man with cash on the hip.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Humans. For all our supposed "intelligence", so many only gives a rat's butt about themselves and so much of the world is basically still living in the dark ages.

suppose alot of people are content living in the dark ages. arent their amazon tribes dont want to come to civilisation. ever seen Crocodile Dundee films, main protagonist lived in the bush in australia and found new york city puzzling.

alot to be said for our dark ages of 40,000 years pre-farming times. we worked for 2 hours a day and just sat around. healthier, better diets, no political correctness, nor social media. if you survived childbirth life expectancy was quiet high.

i couldn live like that now cause i wouldnt know how to hunt or make a hut. and my immune system wouldnt last a day in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

KungPao wrote: »
    On the night club one, I think in Ireland we do it wrong. Wouldn’t it be better to go there at let’s say 11/12 and sober? As in that’s the event, for a night owl, rather than an extension of a session...and needing to drink coke (or snort it) or Red Bull to keep going.

It’s just an excess. Already sunk a fair chunk of cash buying pints in a bar, then off to a nightclub, trying to act sober enough to get past the oaf at the door, then spend €€€€ on overpriced and probably watered down spirits.

Just sounds like a waste of money doing it that way, and you’ll only remember half of what happened the next day, while nursing a massive hangover and an empty wallet.

Then again I’m old, but I still thought the same way as a sprightly young man with cash on the hip.
    Yeah for me it was almost like going through the motions. Pub. Drink. Talk shyte. Queue. Drink. Piss. Dance. Bag of chips. Hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

fvp4 wrote: »
    How would the mods not catch that? They have ips.

Kinda unfair that a user gets banned on the basis of his IP and then everyone else on the same wifi gets banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Consumerism of the type that makes Canada goose a thing, in fact, all label. I just don't get it they are clothes.

Advertisement