Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were the early 90's the last "real" Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

When I was in college in 2000 I got a student loan at a special rate of 9%, after joining the Euro rates went way down.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/history-of-mortgage-rates-in-ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah the good old days. White and Catholic. No fecking one world government. Fewer foreigners. Is that the vibe I'm picking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ah the good old days. White and Catholic. No fecking one world government. Fewer foreigners. Is that the vibe I'm picking up?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ah good man Harry, you got an ol' nose for the racism like the dog next door in heat.

You might be surprised though that the vast majority of people have no problem with foreigners (who incidentally can be wait for it, white [a.k.a. pale and stale] too) coming here to work and contribute as long as they're not arriving in such numbers as to keep wages suppressed and property prices high.

What no one wants to see is after working hard for years and saving up for a deposit on a house is to be outbidded by some tycoon who wants to load ten lads from Bulgaria into a 3-bed Semi-D that you hoped to buy and start a family with.

But hey, slate the folk who are outbidded like that as racist and they'll surely vote for your soap box about how "immigrants" are getting a raw deal in the next election.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Immigration has been totally ignored as a factor in property becoming unaffordable, you’d just be called a racist for pointing out something that’s really obvious.
    Not too dissimilar, the fact that both parents now NEED to work is barely questioned. It’s a huge issue, has put massive pressure on families. But no one has the inclination to say this needs to change, that it’s better for society if parents can stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

When I was in college in 2000 I got a student loan at a special rate of 9%, after joining the Euro rates went way down.

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/history-of-mortgage-rates-in-ireland.html

And lending and inflation went way up spelling doom for the country from which have yet to recover. Ofc fiscal policy and financial regulation were also lax - a perfect storm of factors leading to bust.

I miss having conversations with people on the bus.

I think people are mistiming the takeover of the internet and social media. Smartphone only really took off after 2010 and the majority of people had smartphones by ~2014.

Also agree with others that the internet was better back in teh day when it was just nerds and pervs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Danno wrote: »
    Ah good man Harry, you got an ol' nose for the racism like the dog next door in heat.

You might be surprised though that the vast majority of people have no problem with foreigners (who incidentally can be wait for it, white [a.k.a. pale and stale] too) coming here to work and contribute as long as they're not arriving in such numbers as to keep wages suppressed and property prices high.

What no one wants to see is after working hard for years and saving up for a deposit on a house is to be outbidded by some tycoon who wants to load ten lads from Bulgaria into a 3-bed Semi-D that you hoped to buy and start a family with.

But hey, slate the folk who are outbidded like that as racist and they'll surely vote for your soap box about how "immigrants" are getting a raw deal in the next election.

:rolleyes:

As this is of course routine in Ireland. The housing market is broken because of multiple issues like NIMBY hell, obsessions with low building heights, available capital at affordable prices, high mortgage rates, short term rental markets. But you alight on stereotype east European's as the source of our woe. Great. :rolleyes:

Who do you reckon is paying for your future pensions in part?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

bUKI6QRZPbMn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I didnt hear about the internet until around 1995 , I remember all the hype around Windows 95 , We didnt get the internet until early 1999 , I didnt get my first mobile phone until i was Twenty two in 1999 , granted i held out quite a while

internet_eireann_feb_1995_p.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Immigration has been totally ignored as a factor in property becoming unaffordable, you’d just be called a racist for pointing out something that’s really obvious.
    Not too dissimilar, the fact that both parents now NEED to work is barely questioned. It’s a huge issue, has put massive pressure on families. But no one has the inclination to say this needs to change, that it’s better for society if parents can stay at home.

Inconveniently, now that couples have been in the work force and bringing in money for quite some time, that naturally pushed up the prices that the market can bear and put the less well off couples, one income couples and singletons at a disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Best thing about the 90s was people like you would be told to shut up and people could have a chat about stuff in a humorous fashion without listening to this crap being thrown at them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

As this is of course routine in Ireland. The housing market is broken because of multiple issues like NIMBY hell, obsessions with low building heights, available capital at affordable prices, high mortgage rates, short term rental markets. But you alight on stereotype east European's as the source of our woe. Great. :rolleyes:

While I agree in general with what you are saying in this post, you have steered the conversation on the thread to be about immigration when it wasn't a topic that has really being discussed at all.

Your first post smacks of looking to be offended and outraged, sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Inconveniently, now that couples have been in the work force and bringing in money for quite some time, that naturally pushed up the prices that the market can bear and put the less well off couples, one income couples and singletons at a disadvantage.

We ve fallen into the same trap as most other western nations, and have allowed, facilitated, even encouraged a fire sector (finance, insurance and real estate) lead economy, which has ultimately caused a significant rise in asset prices, in particular property and land, couple that with low wage inflation, and the rest is history......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

The problem with ireland was as soon as internet etc came into our lives we decided we wanted to be American. Not the good parts of American culture but the sh*t parts
    You have a load of lads going around now trying to recreate what they see in the films over drugs. All copying what is on tv
    Gangs who are trying to replicate again what they see in the US,
    People just acting like d**is because it’s their right, freedom of speech blah blah blah
    Clowns who think it’s cool to insult the Garda.... or as they call them the “ppoooollliicceee”

For a nation we really have a huge IQ problem across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Merlin44

Mid 90s was the time start of mobile phones, ecstasy house music , everyone friendly, going out with a set amount of money and been happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ineedeuro wrote: »
    The problem with ireland was as soon as internet etc came into our lives we decided we wanted to be American. Not the good parts of American culture but the sh*t parts
    You have a load of lads going around now trying to recreate what they see in the films over drugs. All copying what is on tv
    Gangs who are trying to replicate again what they see in the US,
    People just acting like d**is because it’s their right, freedom of speech blah blah blah
    Clowns who think it’s cool to insult the Garda.... or as they call them the “ppoooollliicceee”

For a nation we really have a huge IQ problem across the board

We have aped Americans for decades, this is nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I liked the 90's. Everyone was more easygoing. The compo culture wasn't so bad and victimhood wasn't popular. People were more resilient. The population was smaller and there was a proper feeling of community.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mules wrote: »
    I liked the 90's. Everyone was more easygoing. The compo culture wasn't so bad and victimhood wasn't popular. People were more resilient. The population was smaller and there was a proper feeling of community.

Compo culture was bad in the 80,s ,nevermind the 90,s

There has never been much social shame in "putting in a claim "

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Compo culture was bad in the 80,s ,nevermind the 90,s

There has never been much social shame in "putting in a claim "

Nothing like it is now though. Government ministers are doing it now even ones from a party that describes itself as pro business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A lot of immigration is Irish people returning. You also have urbanisation. People moving into the cities from rural areas. Mostly all going to Dublin. But it's the same in the other cities.

What ever about supply issues. Ultimately supply is being swamped by the demand. Building luxury apartments will not fix this. Because the demand isn't for high end stuff. If you have money there isn't a shortage of housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mules wrote: »
    Nothing like it is now though. Government ministers are doing it now even ones from a party that describes itself as pro business.

In the 80's and 90s people complained about compo culture just as much as they do now.
    And "insurance" was a reason to not be able to do anything. This really isn't new.

Just like "video nasties" in the 80's were corrupting our morals, then rap and violent video games in the 90s and now, it's the Internet, generally, apparently.

Every generation thinks they are the first to recognise perceived ills in society.
    Yes, stuff changes but the stuff people complain about tends to remain stubbornly the same.

The 90s were a great time to be in IT lots new stuff, rapid change. IT industry exploded in Ireland.

In the 80's and 90s people complained about compo culture just as much as they do now.
    And "insurance" was a reason to not be able to do anything. This really isn't new.

Just like "video nasties" in the 80's were corrupting our morals, then rap and violent video games in the 90s and now, it's the Internet, generally, apparently.

Every generation thinks they are the first to recognise perceived ills in society.
    Yes, stuff changes but the stuff people complain about tends to remain stubbornly the same.

Car insurance was a nightmare back then. Much worse than it is today. Which people might find hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Hmm prohibition was everywhere still https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/an-irishman-s-diary-1.231015

Playboy wasn't legal in Ireland until 95, exorcist movie until 98.

Exorcist wasn't banned from cinemas, it used to get a reshowing every few years,

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Car insurance was a nightmare back then. Much worse than it is today. Which people might find hard to believe.

You had to be a named driver on a policy to get a quote and then the price would be unreal, heard of people asked 2k for insurance when wages were around 150quid a week

I liked the 90s, hardly anyone had debt, always had work, people were a lot less stressed,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People complained about rock and roll, violent movies, videogames. TV, influencing teens to behave badly, now its
    social media.
    The 90s were the last time rents were low,after 2000 house price went up rapidly, rents went up, now we have a housing crisis
    homeless people living in tents
    People come here to work in shops hotels cafes
    Immigration is part of a successful economy
    People did not know it but the 90s were an optimistic time
    before a decade of rapid change
    before Ireland became a modern economy with Google Facebook opening offices here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

riclad wrote: »
    People complained about rock and roll, violent movies, videogames. TV, influencing teens to behave badly, now its
    social media.
    The 90s were the last time rents were low,after 2000 house price went up rapidly, rents went up, now we have a housing crisis
    homeless people living in tents
    People come here to work in shops hotels cafes
    Immigration is part of a successful economy
    People did not know it but the 90s were an optimistic time
    before a decade of rapid change
    before Ireland became a modern economy with Google Facebook opening offices here

Rent was low after the 2008 recession in most of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

Nostalgia was even better in the 90's.

Nostaliga, is just not what it used to be.

All joking aside, some things are better, some things worse, but overall the 90's were better in Ireland than things are now, sad to say.
    Ordinary working people could still reasonably expect to own their own homes and afford a family.

People were also definitely less rat race orientated.

In the 90's we also had the optimistic feeling that the 2000s -2020's would definably be better.
    We can't say the same about the 2030's-2050's that's for sure.

Given what's coming, I'm glad I'm the age I am now, and not younger that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Early 90s is it? I had a f eckin gala n anyways. Turned 16 in 1990. Getting the shift, dropping the hand, bush drinking, hash smoking, e dropping, raving, moving to the big shmoke for college, getting a taste for Guinness. Coppers and the Mean Fiddler, Henrys and Spiders. Indie music and Britpop. The general atmosphere from about 94-00, among my peer group anyway, was definitely more hopeful and optimistic than now. And coming from such a low level (in terms of money and material possessions) I think our expectations from life were a bit lower than people have now. The church barely had an influence in my life - we weren't a religious household. The news was ****e, the roads were worse (5 hours to drive from Cork to Dublin!!) and the weather was......Irish? Foreign travel was a luxury and a treat. We had to do our research in the library, although the internet was starting to make inroads. We weren't being constantly bombarded with news, opinions and information like we are - made for more interesting conversations I think as subjects were discussed, teased out and opinions given without Johnny in the corner pulling out his google machine to prove us all wrong. I look as this period through rose tinted glasses as this was when I came of age. There was lots of horrible sh1t going on- the North, the Balkans, The Middle East,. But the wall fell in 1989 and that changed things for ever. Actually two good bookends for this period are the fall of the Berlin Wall and the collapse of the Soviet Bloc putting an end to the Cold War at one end and 9/11 at the other. Perhaps it's just coincidence that this coincided with me turning from a child into a young adult in 1990 and having my 1st kid in late 2000, but there was definitely more optimism around back then even though times were hard. then again, I could afford to move out of home into a house share while flipping burgers in a fast food restaurant - so that aspect of life was a lot easier than it is for young people now. I suppose it was easier to be optimistic and hopeful when your dreams had a chance of become reality. People have been born and died since then. Life is short. Try and make the most of it

Advertisement