Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teacher Training in the UK

• 13-05-2021 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi-IDK if anyone here is or knows of a teacher from Ireland in the UK or completed their degree in the UK. Basically I applied for and even paid the deposit for teacher training here in Ireland but I went through a lot of my savings this year as I had a bad bout of an illness and couldn't work. I am staring down the barrell of a 2 year course that will cot 14kish in fees alone with rent and bills on top of that. I already feel like I've wasted most of my 20s having been in a job that was not worth it mentally. I would love to qualify and teach abroad for a year or two and then maybe come back to Ireland and do all the things people do in their 30s, but a house, maybe settle down etc. But if I do the course in Ireland I will not qualify till I am 29 and feel like that is so old to be going off travelling and doing these things-especially if I have huge student loans to pay off. So I am considering of applying to the UK-I THINK I qualify for the student bursary of 7k for my subject, which means only about 2k in fees and the course is only a year long, meaning l'll qualify at 28 instead. Financially it makes sense. Buuuuut I have never lived abroad before I wouldn't know anyone in the UK, or anything about the process or curriculum or anything really. I've also heard some really negative things about training in the UK-I heard 2nd level teachers cannot work in Ireland as you need wither a BEd. to be a second level teacher or a masters-the PME in Ireland-to be a teacher and the PGCE doesn't make the cut, I even read here that someone in the UK went and did a masters in Education on top of their PGCE just to move back here to be teach and it still was not accepted.

Apparently behaviour and just general willingness to do anything is far worse in the UK than here, that most students will just show up to class without a pen or copy book. That there is so much more bureaucracy in the UK school systems and teachers are help personally responsible if students do not keep consistently improving-you can bring a horse to water but can't make them drink. Also they have smaller wages and far less holidays-but probably better able to find a job/job stability than here?

Anyone and anecdotes or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Hi-IDK if anyone here is or knows of a teacher from Ireland in the UK or completed their degree in the UK. Basically I applied for and even paid the deposit for teacher training here in Ireland but I went through a lot of my savings this year as I had a bad bout of an illness and couldn't work. I am staring down the barrell of a 2 year course that will cot 14kish in fees alone with rent and bills on top of that. I already feel like I've wasted most of my 20s having been in a job that was not worth it mentally. I would love to qualify and teach abroad for a year or two and then maybe come back to Ireland and do all the things people do in their 30s, but a house, maybe settle down etc. But if I do the course in Ireland I will not qualify till I am 29 and feel like that is so old to be going off travelling and doing these things-especially if I have huge student loans to pay off. So I am considering of applying to the UK-I THINK I qualify for the student bursary of 7k for my subject, which means only about 2k in fees and the course is only a year long, meaning l'll qualify at 28 instead. Financially it makes sense. Buuuuut I have never lived abroad before I wouldn't know anyone in the UK, or anything about the process or curriculum or anything really. I've also heard some really negative things about training in the UK-I heard 2nd level teachers cannot work in Ireland as you need wither a BEd. to be a second level teacher or a masters-the PME in Ireland-to be a teacher and the PGCE doesn't make the cut, I even read here that someone in the UK went and did a masters in Education on top of their PGCE just to move back here to be teach and it still was not accepted.

Apparently behaviour and just general willingness to do anything is far worse in the UK than here, that most students will just show up to class without a pen or copy book. That there is so much more bureaucracy in the UK school systems and teachers are help personally responsible if students do not keep consistently improving-you can bring a horse to water but can't make them drink. Also they have smaller wages and far less holidays-but probably better able to find a job/job stability than here?

If I had a choice of qualifying in Ireland and qualifying in UK and subsequently having to deal with the TC to get my qualifications vetted I would chose qualifying in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

lulublue22 wrote: »
    If I had a choice of qualifying in Ireland and qualifying in UK and subsequently having to deal with the TC to get my qualifications vetted I would chose qualifying in Ireland.

Yeah definitely. It also helps to have your foot in the door a bit in places where you do youre teaching. Youd be coming from a totally different system in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

The pay will be lower in the UK, but the cost of living is also lower. Behavior really will depend on the school you are in. There are plenty schools in Ireland that are horrific for teaching in too. If you are in a more well to do area its going to have better schools.

Regards living in the UK, its not too dissimilar to Ireland - however, Im not sure that teaching qualifications here would be readily accepted in Ireland - especially given the oversupply of Irish teachers and the difficulties getting permanent positions. Other qualifications transfer more readily - engineering, science, nursing, med etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mayberry

I qualified with a PGCE in Wales in 2011. The schools and students will vary. If I had the choice to do it all over again Id do it in Ireland where I had a the support of my family and friends. Furthermore when you come out qualified you know the system and how things work. I think it's worth noting that you have to complete a second year after a PGCE in the UK before to receive qualified teacher status (QTS) which means you are committed to two years there. I was the last cohort of students who didnt have to this. I had to spend a great deal of time q0and money getting registered with the teaching council here. I didn't pursue a career in education in the end. However saying all that living in Wales was great and I made friends for life. All of them went on to have secure jobs in the UK, but the all testify its hard work (endless paperwork, constant lesson planning and evaluations, making resources etc). The descision you face is a very personal one. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Also note that now that the UK has left the EU, continued recognition in Ireland of UK educational and professional qualifications can't be taken for granted. If your long-term plan is to come back to Ireland you should look into this very carefully, but be aware that the position as it is now may change by the time you are actually seeking to return to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 bubblemassage

Like anything, teaching is about networking. Subbing, making connections, getting your name into pools all happens during teacher training. You'd be coming back to Ireland without the professional network, which would mean it might take you longer to get a permanent position.

I don't think age is anything to worry about. I just qualified as a teacher and I'm 31. All my colleagues went straight into teaching and seem to think I'm a wealth of knowledge because I worked in a few other jobs beforehand. When you go into your teacher training you'll be learning all about prior knowledge, experience and intrinsic motivation, and how it shapes learning. It's a positive to be a mature candidate as it means you can bring more to the course and have more professional experience.

Advertisement