Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on esb smart meter install

• 13-05-2021 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭

I like most people have got a letter about the new smart meter installations and am slightly worried about them and will probably object as well of having the garage full of stuff so they cant get at it:eek::eek::D:D.
    So what thoughts about them.
    Looking on adverts for a Geiger counter and a lead case:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's a scam.....
    They will use it to milk some more easy money....

People to save money will need to get smart, don't use between 5 and 7pm as this will be peak ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just got a phone call from the company asking for a date for install and i said no to install + no access into garage to get to meter.

I've seen them cycling through the different times, T1, T2 and T3

With the increases done or more on the way it ain't looking good, 130% levy increase last month or so too.....

Solar PV may well be a good option especially now prices have dropped so much for install.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

greasepalm wrote:
    Just got a phone call from the company asking for a date for install and i said no to install + no access into garage to get to meter.

I'm looking forward to getting mine. Some providers are already offering discounts for customers with smart meter. I can't remember exactly but I think free or half price weekend daytime or something like that

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to getting mine. Some providers are already offering discounts for customers with smart meter. I can't remember exactly but I think free or half price weekend daytime or something like that

But they'll make up for it during the week, peak time for example, you will end up paying a very big price if I'm right of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

But they'll make up for it during the week, peak time for example, you will end up paying a very big price if I'm right of course.

Maybe eventually but right now there are good savings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

greasepalm wrote: »

Its their meter so if they want to get bolshy they can demand you move it at your expense of you don't give then access to read it at least twice a year.
    In addition, if they deem the meter faulty, you will only get a smart meter, so best go off the grid now.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1927/act/27/enacted/en/print#sec1

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Im still waiting in Blanch, herself in Navan has it installed

Rang the helpline to talk to some girl in Cork working from home saying no not fitting them, usual excuse for ANYTHING now, I said well you need to tell your bosses as the girlfriends parents and surrounding houses got them yesterday

I would have thought Dublin, Cork etc be hit first, then move onto other counties

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Still happy with my 50 yr old meter and magnet:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's a scam.....
    They will use it to milk some more easy money....

People to save money will need to get smart, don't use between 5 and 7pm as this will be peak ....

A scam?

How?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    A scam?

How?

They will increase prices as I said, at least at the moment it's one cost and obviously night rate if one has it

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Keep in mind when you say no to the meter that when everyone has one , they get 3 different tariffs , a low , a middle and a high one and you will get the most expensive one of them with your old meter

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Then i wont use much at peak time
    Timers for the fridge freezer and the freezer in the shed so its switched off on peak time and wont use anything else in the peak hours
    Cooking for years now on Gas and its way cheaper as electric cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You don't have a constitutional right to elecricity. It's a commercial arrangement whreby they supply you with energy for a charge and if their Ts & Cs say you must allow them to change the meter, you will have no choice.

Sooner or later, they will withdraw meter readers from your area and at that stage they will make you a final offer - take the smart meter or we'll withdraw supply.

Or, as someone has suggested above, they will simply bill you for all your consumption at peak rate. Then you'll suddenly stop believing the conspiracy theories.

coylemj wrote: »
    Then you'll suddenly stop believing the conspiracy theories.

Its no theory ,
    You will pay more if you move from a analogue meter to a smart meter.
    Its to do with true power & apparent power .
    You don't get billed for apparent power on the old meters but you will on a smart.

Maybe someone fill in more info, I cant remember ......:o

What are the chances the new system could be hacked ??

Who says Ireland does not get hacked and listening to this mornings news.

Its no theory ,
    You will pay more if you move from a analogue meter to a smart meter.
    Its to do with true power & apparent power .
    You don't get billed for apparent power on the old meters but you will on a smart.

Maybe someone fill in more info, I cant remember ......:o

You're fully signed up to a conspiracy theory but you can't recall the details. That just about sums up where we're at.

'It must be right, I read it on Facebook'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

‘Smart’ Meters will only be used to obscure your plan and usage and inevitably everyone will pay more.

Companies coming out with a new more finely tuned tariff plan is never going to be about you using smarter and paying less. Never.

It’s all about the profit. Always.

coylemj wrote: »
    You're fully signed up to a conspiracy theory but you can't recall the details. That just about sums up where we're at.

'It must be right, I read it on Facebook'.

:rolleyes:

You wouldn't understand it if I explained it to you.
    Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean its a conspiracy .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You are only billed for real power usage. Anything to back up your claim that you'll be charged for apparent power?

• Advertisement

I think you may be a little bit lost the conspiracy forum is located over here → https://touch.boards.ie/forum/576

TheChizler wrote: »
    You are only billed for real power usage. Anything to back up your claim that you'll be charged for apparent power?

I seen it on facebook

You're now going to explain it to me, even though you can't remember....
    Maybe someone fill in more info, I cant remember
    Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean its a conspiracy.

That may be true when it comes to General Relativity, it does not apply to rubbish that you read on Facebook.

If you don't understand it, stop acting as an agent for disinformation and quit propogating it.

Myself and Jim corr were discussing it last night actually.

‘Smart’ Meters will only be used to obscure your plan and usage and inevitably everyone will pay more.

I'm on a smart plan, I can download my usage data for up to the end of the previous day. It gives you a CSV file showing your usage (in kWh) for every half hour. I just got my first bill since I signed up to a smart plan. It shows my usage within each charge period.

What level of detail am I missing?

Nobody is under any illusion that we can all save money with smart meters. The point of them is to reward people who shift consumption away from peak periods so as to flatten the demand curve. Which will reduce the overall cost of generation.

Myself and Jim corr were discussing it last night actually.

You're in his league right enough.

You've been had by big electric

I seen it on facebook

Oh well my apologies then, it must be true it's not like people on Facebook would lie or anything. Facebook is the true bastion of truthful information especially when it comes to important topics.

I will hereby bow out of this discussion having been blown away by your superior intelligence and logical reasoning skills.

Oh well my apologies then it must be true it's not like people on Facebook with lie or anything. Facebook is the true bastion of truthful information especially when it comes to important topics.

I will hereby bow out of this discussion having been blown away by your superior intelligence and logical reasoning skills.

please don't go you're great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Got mine installed this morning. Some absolute numpty in a WhatsApp group that I’m in, reckons it transmits Covid-19

Advertisement