Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailfinders Deposit paid but not likely to travel

• 12-05-2021 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hoping someone on here has had a similar situation or is in the know on our best options here.

Long story short, my wife and I got married last year in August and were supposed to go on our honeymoon to South Africa. We booked and paid a deposit of about €2k in February 2020. COVID and lockdown happened and while we were able to make changes to the wedding plans and still get married, we postponed the honeymoon until Jan 21. Come Jan 21, still in lockdown, we postponed again until August 21. It's coming to the point now where a decision has to be made and to be honest, neither of us feels super comfortable about going to South Africa (assuming all restrictions are lifted).

Our issue is that the balance of the holiday has to be paid 2 months prior to travel. Trailfinders have told us that if we cancel while having only paid a deposit, we would lose roughly half of the deposit. However, if the holiday is paid in full (another €6k on top) and we are unable to travel (DFA advice that nonessential travel is to be avoided, etc), we can get a full refund.

I don't really want to fork out the extra 6k in the hope that the holiday gets canceled but I don't want to lose our deposit either.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice on our rights here at the point that the remaining balance has to be paid??

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

If you are only going to loose half of the deposit, that's not too bad. It's only €1,000. And you were prepared to pay €8,000 for the holiday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ax530

not in a similar position.
    however could trailfinders allow you put the current deposit towards another holiday which you could book for Europe in August/Sept this year

Advertisement