Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door Handle query...

• 12-05-2021 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

Ho All

Wondering if anyone can throw some light on adding this Handle to a NEW front door. We are considering gettint this rather than the usual set of handles.

It seems door will always be locked... so if you go to car to collect something you will need your key to get back in. If you go out and close teh door behind you - you will be locked out!!

The question - has this been a problem for any users of this handle??? Would you recommend to stay with it or change back to handles etc??

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I've a normal looking handle, but it'll lock you out. I specifically went for that type. I much prefer the convenience of not having to worry about the door being locked rather than being locked out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I have a normal handle too.
    And it locks when outside too as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Have the handle in the photo. Like anything you get used to it. If going out to the car you're bringing keys with you anyway so won't get locked out. If you're very worried about getting locked out hide a spare key someplace in a key lock around the back for emergencies but you shouldn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Dudda wrote: »
    Have the handle in the photo. Like anything you get used to it. If going out to the car you're bringing keys with you anyway so won't get locked out. If you're very worried about getting locked out hide a spare key someplace in a key lock around the back for emergencies but you shouldn't need it.

Ya... thats my intention. Are you happy with your choice.... I think its a nice feature

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Just ask for ‘lever handle both sides, key lock externally, with thumb turn inside’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Masala wrote: »
    Ya... thats my intention. Are you happy with your choice.... I think its a nice feature

Yes very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

I prefer a door I have to have keys to lock. Living in the country side, it was always a nuisance to have to go around to the shed, usually in the dark and/or rain to get the spare. Living in town now & especially at night even though where I live is as safe as anywhere else, I hate if I have to get something from the car & have to hang around on the doorstep to unlock the door!
    Small children, wind & forgetfulness means I’d choose to have to lock the door behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭rameire

I had an old door in my old house that you couldnt open without a key from the outside.
    My new house with new door, you dont need a key to enter.

Reason. I have a child and im not getting up a thousand times a day to let her in the front door.

If you are going for a door that requires a key to enter.
    get a lockbox for the porch area or nearby out of sight.
    I have a Masterlock reinforced waterproof key safe. Key Lock Amazon

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭tscul32

rameire wrote: »

Reason. I have a child and im not getting up a thousand times a day to let her in the front door.

This x1000. When we were getting a new front door I specifically got handles that could be opened on either side if the door was unlocked. No way with 3 kids out playing was I answering the door all day long.
    If there's noone out we just keep the key in the door on the inside and it's easy to lock and unlock. Have the same for the back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

tscul32 wrote: »
    This x1000. When we were getting a new front door I specifically got handles that could be opened on either side if the door was unlocked. No way with 3 kids out playing was I answering the door all day long.
    If there's noone out we just keep the key in the door on the inside and it's easy to lock and unlock. Have the same for the back door.

thats a good point. But just the 2 auld fogies of myself and wife at this stage of like - so don have to worry about that at this stage!

Deal is done now anyway..... and we gone with the Long Handle option. What the wife wants- the wife gets!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

How do you engage the locking mechanism with those kind of handles? With ours you pull up the handle and all the locks engage into the frame.

You need a key to open it if you just pull it closed but to fully engage it, you have to pull it up and then lock it.

Advertisement