Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lowest car insurance amount

• 12-05-2021 10:36am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I remember years ago there was a bottom amount that car insurance would go to, Quin Insurance used to hit it fairly often, I think it was around €350 per year, just wondering if there's still a lowest possible amount or could it be possible to get it for, say less than €100

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭con747

Less than €100? Best of luck with that! Classic insurance might get you under €200 if your lucky.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Lowest I ever remember seeing it was 230.
    Theres no chance of paying that now as it was unsustainable at the time, never mind now.

Edit: for standard insurance for a full year. You could of course get a week's insurance for under 100 or other bespoke solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

been about 330 on both our cars for the last 5 years now... we would regularly switch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I know 100 isn't possible but is 330(or another amount) the lowest anyone can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Last year I paid in or around €350, and was told that that was basically the lowest a policy would/ could go these days (whether I believe that or not is another matter, but it was far and away the lowest quote I'd got in literally years).

Got much the same again this year after a bit of shopping around and persuasion (renewal was originally for €417)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

All companies have a minimum premium.

For example AIG are €330 + 7% levy, Allianz are €284.

So no matter what rates are calculacted and sicounts apply there is a minimum base.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My policy this year was 333 which I assume is close to or at the lowest that can be charged by that insurer (123)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭easygoing39

This year I'm 369 euro with 123.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you asking in general OP, or are you trying to find the cheapest company?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

biko wrote: »
    Are you asking in general OP, or are you trying to find the cheapest company?

Just asking in general, just curious to be honest to see what the baseline is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I had €300.85 last year.
    They are looking for 330 this year. Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My wife was paying the minimum €280 with Aviva around 2012-2013 for thirt-party+fire+theft.
    By 2018 she couldn't get anything cheaper than €500 (no claims in the meantime).

I was always paying around €500-€600 between 2007 and 2018 for fully comp.

Now we live abroad, and luckily pay way less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the lowest I’ve seen (not mine sadly) is €280

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If i was involved in insurance pricing there's no way I'd have a minimum of 100....admin costs and compliance etc will eat into that.

I think anything in the region of 300-500 is fair for anyone to pay. It's where they start loading for bizarre mathematical reasons the problems start. Living in same area as some people that claimed, driving same car etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the lowest available price is €280. I can't remember where I read that but it seems to be confirmed with some posters above.
    My wife was getting exorbitant prices on her old E11 Corolla, we bought a Subaru Impreza 1.5 and her insurance dropped from €500+ to €280 (after changing insurers) and they told her that that was the lowest price that Insurance could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

There is no set minimum insurers can charge, but there comes a point where it is impossible to make make money. Admin, contribution to MIBI, levies, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think the lowest available price is €280. I can't remember where I read that but it seems to be confirmed with some posters above.
    My wife was getting exorbitant prices on her old E11 Corolla, we bought a Subaru Impreza 1.5 and her insurance dropped from €500+ to €280 (after changing insurers) and they told her that that was the lowest price that Insurance could be.

AA - Minimum premium of €280 applies.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Advertisement