Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Out-of-control’ Chinese rocket falling to Earth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I don't know but i bet it's Ireland or maybe Bosnia, their space programme is absolutely reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Ah China, fills the world with crap they make and now space, but space sends it back. Good enough. Hopefully space will spit this rocket back at China.

Unfortunately there are no rules for space, look at Elon with his hundreds of satellites there, all will eventually come crashing back to earth too.

The chances are slim to none, I know, but what if in the final moments the debris appeared to be on course to hit a nuclear plant somewhere?

The chances are slim to none, I know, but what if in the final moments the debris appeared to be on course to hit a nuclear plant somewhere?
    I always think stuff like this as well, worst case scenario things about nuclear disasters. Chernobyl absolutely traumatised me.

You're right though like! There are certain stuff that would be disastrous if struck.

A Space-X satellite coming within 60 metres of an ESA satellite a few weeks ago, potentially cutting us off from space for decades or centuries if they collided, is a lot more reckless than a rocket falling to Earth after all or most of it burning up in the atmosphere.

If that were a Chinese satellite, you'd care a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

I think it lands in an American city.

Land as in impacts at high speed

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Out of amateur interest I lurk this forum a lot, sad to see the faux outrage/perpetually "scared" brigade invading this thread just to have a few cheap shots at the Chinese.

Hopefully the debris lands in open waters and no damage is caused and no people are hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Out of amateur interest I lurk this forum a lot, sad to see the faux outrage/perpetually "scared" brigade invading this thread just to have a few cheap shots at the Chinese.

Hopefully the debris lands in open waters and no damage is caused and no people are hurt.

This is a local thread for local posters only type thing?

A Space-X satellite coming within 60 metres of an ESA satellite a few weeks ago, potentially cutting us off from space for decades or centuries if they collided, is a lot more reckless than a rocket falling to Earth after all or most of it burning up in the atmosphere.

If that were a Chinese satellite, you'd care a lot more.
    I mean, i didn't hear about it. Also it didn't happen.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    This is a local thread for local posters only type thing?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well hopefully it’s not a sky lab re entry and Western Australia doesn’t have big pieces landing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

While I agree with your sentiment regarding no damage and no one being hurt, I do also agree with some posters here that this is completely reckless by the Chinese, and in keeping with their behaviour of late.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Well it did happen. And it also nearly happened in 2019. Kessler syndrome could kill space for a very long time.

And you'd have definitely heard about it if a Chinese company was launching thousands of satellites into space with the European Space Agency having to avoid collisions with them.

Except for when it happened.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.space.com/amp/spacex-starlink-esa-satellite-collision-avoidance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Ah cmon now, a rocket landing in someone's back garden with 'Made in China' stamped on the side of it? I mean the jokes wrote themselves...

You're right though like! There are certain stuff that would be disastrous if struck.

In reality am not majorly concerned, as the probability is so low, but I'm sure countries w/ nuclear reactors have protocols for impact events (probably developed in case of missile attack).. am curious as to what they are!

You have me thinking about worse places to hit now....

Three Gorges Dam, one of the world's many massive fuel depots (think Lebanon explosion), military facilities w/ ammo dumps, a bioweapons lab.. Yellowstone Park. Dalymount Park.

Ah feck this, I'm going back into the underground shelter.
    :pac:

Well it did happen. And it also nearly happened in 2019. Kessler syndrome could kill space for a very long time.

And you'd have definitely heard about it if a Chinese company was launching thousands of satellites into space with the European Space Agency having to avoid collisions with them.

There has been plenty of negative reporting around starlink. What exactly is your issue here, do you think this shouldn't be news or what?

In reality am not majorly concerned, as the probability is so low, but I'm sure countries w/ nuclear reactors have protocols for impact events (probably developed in case of missile attack).. am curious as to what they are!

You have me thinking about worse places to hit now....

Three Gorges Dam, one of the world's many massive fuel depots (think Lebanon explosion), military facilities w/ ammo dumps, a bioweapons lab.. Yellowstone Park. Dalymount Park.

Ah feck this, I'm going back into the underground shelter.
    :pac:

One World Trade Center. Don't think it would take out a dam or nuclear plant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

_118413752_chinese_rocket_640-nc.png
    the coloured bit is what's coming back all 30m of it

_118258298_tianhe_space_station_640_2x-nc.png
    just the core up now.

via https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-57013540

Hopefully noone will get hurt/killed by this and lessons be learned

Be all kinds of amazing if it crashed into indian ocean and recovery efforts lead people to discoving MH370

• Advertisement

One World Trade Center. Don't think it would take out a dam or nuclear plant.

I don't know. Found this though:
    It is worth noting that only as recently as 2009 has the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) required all new nuclear power plants to incorporate design features that would ensure that, in the event of a crash by a commercial airliner, the plant’s reactor core would remain cooled or the reactor containment would remain intact, and radioactive releases would not occur from spent fuel storage pools.33 The fact that these guidelines are only beginning to take shape at nuclear power plants in
    the US, whose nuclear power plants are widely considered to be the best guarded in the world, does not bode well for the security of plants in other nuclear power states, particularly those just beginning to develop nuclear power.
    Mortars and rockets are relatively low cost, unsophisticated
    weapons already possessed by many non-state actors. Moreover, most nuclear facilities around the world are not protected by expensive missile defense systems like [Israel's] Iron Dome. One could imagine such an attack being carried out on one of South Korea’s twenty-five nuclear power plants by North Korea, which is rapidly developing and expanding its ballistic missile arsenal. This scenario is all the more concerning as a recent report by South Korea’s operator, the Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power Company (KHNP), revealed that the outer protective walls of South Korean reactors were never meant to withstand a missile strike or other forms of concerted attack.39 Again, while the IAEA recommends in its nuclear security guidance that countries “protect targets against stand-off attacks consistent with their design basis threat (DBT),” this recommendation is not required and few states have encoded it in their domestic legal framework.4

Nuclear terrorism – Threat or not?
    Cite as: AIP Conference Proceedings 1898, 050001 (2017); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5009230
    Published Online: 15 November 2017
    Miles A. Pomper, and Gabrielle Tarini

https://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.5009230

Ah well, let's hope it causes no more harm than obliterating a few plankton and momentarily distracting a dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hopefully noone will get hurt/killed by this and lessons be learned

Be all kinds of amazing if it crashed into indian ocean and recovery efforts lead people to discoving MH370
    No lesson to be learned, it is their modus operandi for these big rockets, fire and forget

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No lesson to be learned, it is their modus operandi for these big rockets, fire and forget

If the rocket falls in my backyard, I'm adopting it as a pet.

You would have thought in the 21st century that the technology existed to detonate a wayward rocket remotely. Or some in-built sensor to trigger explosion once it veered too far off course. Chinese are so busy acquiring vast mineral holdings by stealth around the globe, they forgot to throw a few bob on that big red button.

Potential collision avoided and you're saying it happened.

If the rocket falls in my backyard, I'm adopting it as a pet.

You would have thought in the 21st century that the technology existed to detonate a wayward rocket remotely. Or some in-built sensor to trigger explosion once it veered too far off course. Chinese are so busy acquiring vast mineral holdings by stealth around the globe, they forgot to throw a few bob on that big red button.

I'm no emgineer but an article I read last week about this quoted a US engineer saying there is something the Chinese could be adding to their rockets to avoid this happening but he presumes they've deemed it an unnecessary expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,025 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I guess they really should add some rockets or something for thrust so they can use to do a controlled de-orbit to bring it down somewhere remote but I guess they don’t really care

Potential collision avoided and you're saying it happened.

No one said a collision happened, they said a collision almost happened.

Oh ok, so it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Made in Choyna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I'm no emgineer but an article I read last week about this quoted a US engineer saying there is something the Chinese could be adding to their rockets to avoid this happening but he presumes they've deemed it an unnecessary expense.

If they blow it up in orbit they create a load of space debris

Advertisement