Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a motorbike from europe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Del2005 wrote: »
    You would have a chassis with zero km, so it's considered a new vehicle. You have to register it within 30 days of import of the chassis. So if you import a BMW S1000rr chassis you'll be taxed on a bringing in a new BMW S1000rr, what you stick on after is irrelevant.

As I said if you could do what you are saying then the boat would be full of car shells being imported and brought to the NCT or VRT inspection. Are many people bringing in vehicle shells?

You can't vrt a shell or frame full stop the vechicle has to be able to run on its own power at the time its examined.

Also your 6,000km is based on what's on the clocks not what milage the shell/frame may have done, clock with 6,001km on it isn't considered a new vechicle as long as its older than 6 months.

You have to register within 30 days of the vechicle coming in again you can't register a shell/frame

Issues arise when importing custom frames because you'll need a Cert of conformity, a registration for that frame and vin, maybe an engineers report.

There are people bringing in frames and shells and revinning them.

He could do what he's thinking of but he'll run into some problems.
    1. You can't vrt a frame so he'll most likely face penalties.
    2. If its a custom frame, it will be a serious pain because it won't be on the system and some states don't actually register custom frames in the way we see on say biker build off. Then you have engineers reports etc.
    3. They'll assign a random value if its a custom frame.
    4. Insuring it later will be a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Yeah, I think I will have to phone them to get some clarification as I do see where I could run into some problems like you have listed.
    My thoughts are for a full ground up custom build, with a frame from an indie manufacturer, possibly a revtech motor, then build the rest of it up from there, but what happens when I want to get it registered or insured is my worry.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I will have to phone them to get some clarification as I do see where I could run into some problems like you have listed.
    My thoughts are for a full ground up custom build, with a frame from an indie manufacturer, possibly a revtech motor, then build the rest of it up from there, but what happens when I want to get it registered or insured is my worry.

Well problems will be
    1 is finding a frame builder that can provide you a registered frame. Registration works very differently in a lot of countries.
    2. Full ground up custom to an insurer is either a no hoper or get your bank manager on the line.
    3. You won't be able to prove the full bike came in at any stage so that would be incredibly fun to deal with.
    4. They'll assign a completely arbitrary value, that would involve Google which if they come across certain builders builds, because they're similar, you'll be royally screwed.

A lot of people just revin the frame, if that was an idea I'd 100% tell the insurance its been chopped and get an engineers report they'll use any excuse to void a claim.

Honestly work like that in Ireland is 100% a pain and usually not feasible.

It'd be more expensive but having someone build and register a bike in whatever country then importing g it would be much easier.

There's a reason the custom guys here used to chop frames not build them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Used to do a lot of bike building many years ago, but it was always made more simple by working on an existing bike.
    I'll have to do some detailed research before venturing down that road.
    But thanks for some of the pointers to consider..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Well problems will be
    1 is finding a frame builder that can provide you a registered frame. Registration works very differently in a lot of countries.
    2. Full ground up custom to an insurer is either a no hoper or get your bank manager on the line.
    3. You won't be able to prove the full bike came in at any stage so that would be incredibly fun to deal with.
    4. They'll assign a completely arbitrary value, that would involve Google which if they come across certain builders builds, because they're similar, you'll be royally screwed.

A lot of people just revin the frame, if that was an idea I'd 100% tell the insurance its been chopped and get an engineers report they'll use any excuse to void a claim.

Honestly work like that in Ireland is 100% a pain and usually not feasible.

It'd be more expensive but having someone build and register a bike in whatever country then importing g it would be much easier.

There's a reason the custom guys here used to chop frames not build them.

Good thing about bikes is that the VRT is set a €2 to 350cc and €1 for every cc over that, so they can't screw you on value.

• Advertisement

Good thing about bikes is that the VRT is set a €2 to 350cc and €1 for every cc over that, so they can't screw you on value.

You're forgetting vat, if it was to be charged on a one off you'd be as well have a tub of vasoline on hand.
    If its a full custom from the UK, oz, US etc there's gna be 23% on the value plus shipping and duties. Wouldn't be bothered myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Victor wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a left-hand drive? ;)

hahaha, not.

A lot of bikes have a dipped beam that goes up on the nearside, some can be realigned but on the others you have to swap the headlight unit(s).

Victor wrote: »
    This is all very romantic, but what if said new (to you?) bike breaks down?

It's not yer '50s BSA, grandad :p

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think all bikes in Germany and Switzerland are restricted as well.
    Something to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

blade1 wrote: »
    And they drive on the right hand side of the road, so throttle / clutch are on different side of the bars.

Probably :)

And they drive on the right hand side of the road, so throttle / clutch are on different side of the bars.

Probably :)

You just have to swap your arms around for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

French are, Swiss not sure but don't think so. German's aren't.

French are, Swiss not sure but don't think so. German's aren't.

Looking at a German fireblade yesterday that was restricted to 100hp and it was owner said Switzerland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

CH used to have far stricter emission standards than the EU, that may not be the case any more as EU emission standards got tighter.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I don't think the Swiss are restricted in any ways. Two lads I work with have Swiss bikes, 2012 R1 and a 2019 tracer 900. Neither are restricted.

And trying to keep up with some of the damn swiss on the passes,they couldn't be restricted 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Looking at a German fireblade yesterday that was restricted to 100hp and it was owner said Switzerland as well.

What age though ?

Certainly older stuff was widely restricted to 100bhp in France, Germany and Switzerland. All thanks to a guy called Bangemann.....

Newer stuff isn't though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The OP wanted to know about shipping a bike from Germany, so unlike most of the posts here I'll add something of relevance. Try Overlanders in Gorey, they have a base in Memmingen that they used for shipping pre Covid. Despite what some of the people here think about riding back from Germany, don't do it. Covid has closed a lot of places (B&B's Hotels etc etc) and a roadtrip would not be fun.

If you are buying in Germany,either from a dealer OR privately,how does the registration documentation work out ?

I am familiar with the UK V5 stuff,but totally blank when it comes to the German way ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

AlekSmart wrote: »
    If you are buying in Germany,either from a dealer OR privately,how does the registration documentation work out ?

I am familiar with the UK V5 stuff,but totally blank when it comes to the German way ?

There are two documents, a small one that folds to credit card size and a larger one A4 size.
    They have all the info on them standard EU style.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There are two documents, a small one that folds to credit card size and a larger one A4 size.
    They have all the info on them standard EU style.

What I'm gettin at,is whether there is any doodling around in relation to the seller (particularly a private one) giving you the relevant document,unlike the UK situation whereby Many owners would'nt do this without a lot of prompting,as they did'nt read the bit about exporting the machine complete with V5. :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not in my experience, Germans are different to Brits.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Harry Fox

Looking to get a bike back from Marseilles France
    Any transport ideas please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭rock22

AlekSmart wrote: »
    What I'm gettin at,is whether there is any doodling around in relation to the seller (particularly a private one) giving you the relevant document,unlike the UK situation whereby Many owners would'nt do this without a lot of prompting,as they did'nt read the bit about exporting the machine complete with V5. :o

In one transaction I had to have my PPS number. I believe they actually required my identity card number but accepted my PPS number when i explained we had no national id number. Passport or Driving licence numbers might be acceptable, not too sure.
    It might be worth your while having these numbers available

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

I recently bought a bike from a small dealer in Germany. The transport company he used was Dachsler. It was shipped out of Germany in a crate and I was able to track the progress of the delivery on the Dachsler app.

Once in Ireland one of their trucks delivered it to my house and it was left outside the front door. Great service. I think the transport cost him in the region of €300 - €350.

It came with the registration documents (big and small) as detailed below. Have to get the VRT paid over the next few days.

stevemc01 wrote: »
    I recently bought a bike from a small dealer in Germany. The transport company he used was Dachsler. It was shipped out of Germany in a crate and I was able to track the progress of the delivery on the Dachsler app.

Once in Ireland one of their trucks delivered it to my house and it was left outside the front door. Great service. I think the transport cost him in the region of €300 - €350.

It came with the registration documents (big and small) as detailed below. Have to get the VRT paid over the next few days.

Great stuff....lets know how it all goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

i am the original poster of this thread
    its actually a Buell XB 1200 im thinking of buying
    anyone know of this site, is it a reputable site??
    https://www.theparking-motorcycle.eu/used-motorcycles/buell-lightning-xb12.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Murphman88

Im looking to bring in two bikes form Germany- does anyone know any reputable dealers over there who are used to dealing with Irish customers and have a handle on exporting bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

What sites are you using to source European bikes. I can't find DoneDeal in Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Murphman88

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

Jaysus I think I'll bring my bike over to Germany and sell it! Prices are fairly strong and on v high milers too..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I agree. They are very well maintained however and have a strict NCT type test.

Advertisement