Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suitable skateboard for 5 year old

Options
  • 30-04-2021 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

First time post on this forum - hello! :)

I'm looking for some help and recommendations for a suitable skateboard for a 5 year old boy. Though he's quite big and tall for a 5 year old.

Also recommendations for helmet and other protective gear. He has a bike helmet that looks like the usual skateboard helmet style but I feel we need to get him one that fits better. He has a lot of hair which makes it difficult!!

I took a look on Amazon and the Smyths Toys website but I'm not sure if I should even be looking there. Is there somewhere else we should be looking? Need it by the 13th of May.

Initially, this post was going to be a question of whether or not a 5 year old should even start skateboarding... but we've realised that there's no stopping it now so are now just looking for advice on how to start.

I read a few articles about how children have a higher centre of gravity and tend to overestimate their abilities so I'm a little concerned about that. But I also read some articles and comments about how their 5 year olds adapted okay to it.

So any and all recommendations welcome! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Thought I'd respond to my own post in case anyone ever comes this way from a search.

On the advice of more than one credible source, we decided to get a skateboard from a local skate shop. We went to Bundoran Surf Co. in Co
    Donegal. Staff there were very knowledgeable and friendly. They suggested my son tried the boards they had there for size. Some recommended not getting a full size board. We ended up getting him a 7.5 X 31" board. Was a little big for him but he preferred the design on that one than on the smaller one.

Board was a Tony Hawk board. Also got a Tony Hawk set of elbow and knee pads with wrist protectors. Worked out well in the end.

Advertisement