Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to spend the summer in Germany. Where should I go?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

And you actually think that this was a good call by the government? The Covid cases went through the roof in Germany at one stage.

I'm not sure this is the thread for that as I am still of the opinion that the reaction has been hysterical and context is entirely missing (particularly under 40s where the suicide rate is three times higher than the covid death rate for this age group - 60%+ of the population should be more worried about suicide than covid).

But what I can say of relevance to this thread is that it was night and day in terms of how it felt between Ireland and Germany last summer, and that was even with Ireland being pretty open for most things during the summer! As such, I'd suspect it will be more of the same this summer as they hit their vaccination targets, far less negativity around what is a brilliant thing; the only vulnerable being vaccinated and all restrictions being eased just being a matter of a few months away!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

it was night and day in terms of how it felt between Ireland and Germany last summer, and that was even with Ireland being pretty open for most things during the summer! As such, I'd suspect it will be more of the same this summer

As someone living permanently in France, and currently working within sight of the German border, I can tell you that the difference between 2020 and 2021 is also like night and day, and right now the plans I made with various people living/working/visiting France & Germany for summer 2020 cannot be put in place for summer 2021.

This time last year, working in the same place, I was able to scoot across the border into Germany and Switzerland for no good reason, other than "because I want to". That is not the case this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Sorry for going missing. I found the talk of competing possibilities and requirements a bit overwhelming.

I ended up going to - drumroll…

Thanks for everyone’s interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Great city. Dresden well worth a day trip from there - 2 hours or so on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

spurious wrote: »
    Great city. Dresden well worth a day trip from there - 2 hours or so on the train.

Thanks. Leipzig also an ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Sorry for going missing. I found the talk of competing possibilities and requirements a bit overwhelming.

I ended up going to - drumroll…

Thanks for everyone’s interest.

Enjoy!

Advertisement