Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

large gas bottle rgi inspection?

• 27-04-2021 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Hi all, we're looking to get pair of 47kg propane gas bottles for our cooking needs - theres a bit of a saving over using the 34 kg items...i got onto Calor ireland, and the rep there advised that before they would supply me, I'd have to have the bottle location approved by an RGI fella.distance from doors, windows, drains and boiler would be considered before supplying the cert...is this for real?..any 34kg cylinder is supplied no problem.
    any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

You’re right, I forgot to mention that if it’s bought through calor, it’s a bit cheaper...hence
    Cheers anyway

The checks are for your safety, the certs are to make the RGI responsible for your safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

just got em from a gas supplier, no questions, what old rubbish are calor ireland playing at?

oldsmokey wrote: »
    just got em from a gas supplier, no questions, what old rubbish are calor ireland playing at?

If you are supplied by Calor and there is a death or explosion at your house they as a major player in gas safety are more likely to be held accountable for suppling you the means of the KABANG than a local supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

How much of a difference in price was there

• Advertisement

tphase wrote: »
    can you cite any instance where this has actually happened?
    ie Calor (or any gas company) were found responsible for an incident involving a portable gas cylinder directly supplied by them

I cannot cite a incident but at times I have seen the fall out following a incident and process/questions that followed.

Every aspect of a gas installation down to where you position a cylinder is regulated with potential law enforcement.

Calor is actively inspecting the larger gas installations they supply for safety and requesting improvements where safety issues are identified, so I can understand why this would flow down to the bottles they supply.

I know of LPG installation that have exploded due to installation issues.

In the event of a incident questions are asked, all players involved have a duty of care, there would be a larger responsibility on Calor than on a independent supply.

But irrespective of the above this comes down to safety which is what the Calor rep was interested in when a inspection was requested,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭dathi

gary71 wrote: »
    I cannot cite a incident but at times I have seen the fall out following a incident and process/questions that followed.

Every aspect of a gas installation down to where you position a cylinder is regulated with potential law enforcement.

Calor is actively inspecting the larger gas installations they supply for safety and requesting improvements where safety issues are identified, so I can understand why this would flow down to the bottles they supply.

I know of LPG installation that have exploded due to installation issues.

In the event of a incident questions are asked, all players involved have a duty of care, there would be a larger responsibility on Calor than on a independent supply.

But irrespective of the above this comes down to safety which is what the Calor rep was interested in when a inspection was requested,

its funny that its one of the things that they didn't prohibit under the legislation

4(2) For the purposes of section 9G(3) of the Act ‘works which are gas works’ does not include—

(j) the connection or replacement of a flexible connector connecting a refillable LPG storage cylinder to installation pipework;

dathi wrote: »
    its funny that its one of the things that they didn't prohibit under the legislation

4(2) For the purposes of section 9G(3) of the Act ‘works which are gas works’ does not include—

(j) the connection or replacement of a flexible connector connecting a refillable LPG storage cylinder to installation pipework;

I agree

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

dathi wrote: »

Is the installation pipework defined in the regs. ie Is the cooker connection spigot classified as installation pipework?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I had this issue when the regi came to fit the new gas cooker two years ago
    The cylinders were outside, less than, IIRC, a meter, from a drain and a manhole.
    Manhole had to be sealed and a brick built up around the drain.
    the regs follow a case where a chipper had a leaking cylinder and the gas got into the sewer system, some time later a spark ignited the gas in the sewer and popped all the manholes, just like in the movies.
    hence the new regs.
    true or urban myth, don't know but he wouldn't connect till it was done

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    Is the installation pipework defined in the regs. ie Is the cooker connection spigot classified as installation pipework?

Yes

I had this issue when the regi came to fit the new gas cooker two years ago
    The cylinders were outside, less than, IIRC, a meter, from a drain and a manhole.
    Manhole had to be sealed and a brick built up around the drain.
    the regs follow a case where a chipper had a leaking cylinder and the gas got into the sewer system, some time later a spark ignited the gas in the sewer and popped all the manholes, just like in the movies.
    hence the new regs.
    true or urban myth, don't know but he wouldn't connect till it was done

There not new regs they’ve been around for years probably since someone realised that allowing the heavier than air LPG to leak easily under a house isn’t going to end well.

The interest in improving safety and moving away from the “ahh that’ll do” attitude is new(ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I once witness one of these 47kg Cylinders take off one day in work.
    Luckily we had a high Ceiling as this Cyl went at least 60 ft into the Air like an Exocet missile. Luckily it caused no damage and no one was hurt.

I've often thought what would have happened had it been in a house.

sky6 wrote: »
    I once witness one of these 47kg Cylinders take off one day in work.
    Luckily we had a high Ceiling as this Cyl went at least 60 ft into the Air like an Exocet missile. Luckily it caused no damage and no one was hurt.

I've often thought what would have happened had it been in a house.

I was in the next road to a storage depot that went up after a driver brought back a cylinder that was leaking, it was mad watching the different cylinder shoot up after a KABANG.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Tom44

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Guess thats an O2 cylinder (up to 300 bar!!)
    Stupid is as stupid does.

Advertisement