Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MRI Tullamore

Options
  • 16-04-2021 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

So my GP referred me to Tullamore for an MRI on my shoulder (long term issue). The MRI Dept. in Tullamore ring me to ask if I want a public or private appointment. I say public, as i don't have private health insurance. They then ask if i have a medical card, and i say no, i've never owned a medical card. Then they proceed to advise that only medical card holders can be put on a public waiting list and the only alternative available to me is to go private and pay the €250 private MRI fee. WTF :confused:

I've heard that the MRI Dept. is privately owned but is contracted to the HSE but where do they get off only allowing medical card holders onto a PUBLIC waiting list???

does anyone know if all MRI Dept. across the country are the same or can i request to be sent to another location, other than tullamore, that actually allow the public access to public services?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I thought diagnostic services for which a GP refers you as a public patient are free irrespective of whether you hold a medical card. It may be that the private provider in Tullamore is not part of the system and your GP has to refer you elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

Marcusm wrote: »
    I thought diagnostic services for which a GP refers you as a public patient are free irrespective of whether you hold a medical card. It may be that the private provider in Tullamore is not part of the system and your GP has to refer you elsewhere.

That's what I thought too! I'm waiting on a call back from my GP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Most public hospital MRI dept don’t allow GP referrals. There is a scheme running since January that allows GPS to refer medical card/doctor visit card patients to private MRI providers for a select list of MRI scans, at no cost to the patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

The mri at tullamore hospital is privately operated by Alliance medical. That is awful though. Ask your gp is she/he can refer you to a public one. Naas Hospital has a public one as far as I know. Portlaoise is a private one too.

I would write a letter of complaint to the hospital though as I agree this is really unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

https://www2.hse.ie/services/hse-complaints-and-feedback/your-service-your-say.html
    And complain via the above to the hse your service your say too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

kassie wrote: »
    So my GP referred me to Tullamore for an MRI on my shoulder (long term issue). The MRI Dept. in Tullamore ring me to ask if I want a public or private appointment. I say public, as i don't have private health insurance. They then ask if i have a medical card, and i say no, i've never owned a medical card. Then they proceed to advise that only medical card holders can be put on a public waiting list and the only alternative available to me is to go private and pay the €250 private MRI fee. WTF :confused:

I've heard that the MRI Dept. is privately owned but is contracted to the HSE but where do they get off only allowing medical card holders onto a PUBLIC waiting list???

does anyone know if all MRI Dept. across the country are the same or can i request to be sent to another location, other than tullamore, that actually allow the public access to public services?

Just saw this, I too have been referred to Tullamore GH for an MRI for long term leg issue. I do have a medical card but you might not be aware even with this, my wait on the list is 47 months (I'm not kidding) and this before covid. I'm at a stage were ill have to go private as I'm a year into wait. I've been to the orthedpedic clinic twice in the last year and despite chronic pain and pointless xrays and physio , I still have to wait for MRI availability. I don't blame the excellent clinic, just the system.

So average wait on public list with or without medical cars 47 months which is beyond shocking

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Just an extraordinary update.

As stated I had an MRI referral for Tullamore GH, approximately 18 months ago for persistent knee problem. I recieved a confirmation that it would be 47 months. In the mean time, such was the pain, I was sent to physio with limited success. I was then referred for an xray at tullamore, nothing obvious showed up, this was 2nd xray. In the mean time I was on difine Gel monthly to ease pain albeit ideally this gel is a 14 day treatment.

My GP once again wrote to Tullamore and to my astonishment and a few days after posting here, I've recieved confirmation of MRI on the 24th May next. It is suspected I've either ligament or muscle problem.

I do have a medical card due to a long term Thyroid Disease but don't think medical card is relevant to this appointment.

I guess persistence by your GP is critical but honestly my complaint was becoming dibilitating and affecting sleep and daily life, movement etc.

So my humble advise and ii know it sounds easy is to be persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

kassie wrote: »

I am a public patient - like you no private health insurance and no medical card - I have been referred for MRI's and put on the public waiting list for St Vincents Hospital and Tallaght Hospital and received MRI's in both at different stages

messrs wrote: »
    I am a public patient - like you no private health insurance and no medical card - I have been referred for MRI's and put on the public waiting list for St Vincents Hospital and Tallaght Hospital and received MRI's in both at different stages

I don't quite understand why OP not put on public waiting list, regardless who opporates MRI equipment at Tullamore. I would have assumed it's a basic entitlement if your a public patient or indeed even if you have private insurance to be able to be put on public list. Whilst everyone has the right to go private, it's not always possible for various reasons. Of course there is long waiting lists but sadly that's the system.

As I've explained, I've been referred via public waiting system, have got appointment now after a long wait and yes confirmed by a private company running MRI equipment in a public hospital.

Advertisement