Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea trout

Options
  • 07-04-2021 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of information on the law or rules and regulations for fishing for sea trout.
    I will be fishing of rocks a short distance from my house .
    Is there a catch and release policy in place, what kind of license would I need and are you allowed to take a certain number home for own consumption.
    Any information be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

You need a state license for seatrout and you will be given tags with your license which must be put on any sea trout you keep. The fish you catch, release or retain, must be recorded in a log book.

Can't really advise on the place you intend fishing. you'll need to check out locally regarding permission which is a separate matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Thanks for the reply. Always something I wanted to try and catch. Will look into the licence, tags might be a bit hopeful thinking but you never know. Would love to try for bass too but never heard tell of them in my area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

SeaFields wrote: »
    You need a state license for seatrout and you will be given tags with your license which must be put on any sea trout you keep. The fish you catch, release or retain, must be recorded in a log book.

Can't really advise on the place you intend fishing. you'll need to check out locally regarding permission which is a separate matter

Sea trout under 40cm don't need to be tagged. The rest is 100%.

OP if you are in Donegal the local IFI office has a guide to coastal sea trout fishing, contact them for a copy.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Sea trout under 40cm don't need to be tagged. The rest is 100%.

OP if you are in Donegal the local IFI office has a guide to coastal sea trout fishing, contact them for a copy.

Thanks, will do.

Another question, Do you buy tackle online and if so who would you recommend. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Thanks, will do.

Another question, Do you buy tackle online and if so who would you recommend. Thanks.

https://fishingtackleireland.ie/

or

https://amazonas.ie/ if you want to stay closer to home

• Advertisement

Contacted fisheries Ireland this morning because the area maps were very not very clear what area licence would cover me.
    Unfortunately the boundary line literally runs past the front of my house, this meaning that the places I was hoping to fish will require two different licenses. There is about 2 km distance between the two areas.
    Hopefully I have better luck with the fishing.

I was just on the inland fisheries website.
    There is a salmon Rod ordinary Annual licence which costs €100. The description below seems to state that you can fish salmon and sea trout in all districts.
    Does anyone have any idea why I was told I would need two.
    All I can think is that the Foyle district being in NI is not included with the republics districts.

I was just on the inland fisheries website.
    There is a salmon Rod ordinary Annual licence which costs €100. The description below seems to state that you can fish salmon and sea trout in all districts.
    Does anyone have any idea why I was told I would need two.
    All I can think is that the Foyle district being in NI is not included with the republics districts.

Yep, if you are close to the boundary between the IFI (NWRBD) area and the Loughs Agency jurisdiction you will need two licences to allow you to fish in both. If you have the full ROI licence you can get a Foyle extension for peanuts, I think it's a lot more expensive the other way round.

• Advertisement

Yep, if you are close to the boundary between the IFI (NWRBD) area and the Loughs Agency jurisdiction you will need two licences to allow you to fish in both. If you have the full ROI licence you can get a Foyle extension for peanuts, I think it's a lot more expensive the other way round.

Thanks zippy. A license for the letterkenny district is €56. Studying the Foyle area extension license it allows Anglers from the republic to fish in the Foyle area at a cost of €80,so total would be €136.
    I'm just going to check now today that the €100 licence that allows you to fish all over covers the Foyle also.
    The website itself doesn't to explain this and I'm thinking it probably doesn't, hence the Foyle Licence extension.
    I will post back when I receive a reply.

Just a short update. Just got an e mail back from Inland Fisheries, bottom line is the €100 all districts license only covers the Republic of Ireland, so for me to fish in the Foyle district will require an add on license of €80.
    So looking at letterkenny district license €56 with foyle add on€80. Or Foyle district license which is also €80 with Letterkenny add on. Either way I will need two licences or permits to fish my area.

I think it may be cheaper if you buy a Foyle licence and get an all-Ireland extension, but that's my recollection from a long time ago when I lived up that way, may be different now. I haven't fished the Foyle in years.

I think it may be cheaper if you buy a Foyle licence and get an all-Ireland extension, but that's my recollection from a long time ago when I lived up that way, may be different now. I haven't fished the Foyle in years.

Your spot on zippy, exactly what the e mail said too.
    Anyhow sorted now and once again thanks for all your advice. I think the licence be the easiest part trying to catch one may prove a bit trickier.

Advertisement