Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carl Frampton V Jamel Herring Fight Thread - Channel 5 @ 10pm

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Tough watching Carl like this, a shadow of his former self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

walshb wrote: »
    I think Carl is cooked!!

He looks an old man in there. very tired. But still has a chance with that cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Frampton looks a shadow of his former self. I said it at the time that I thought he should have retired after the Warrington fight and I have seen nothing since then that has made me change my mind

• Administrators Posts: 53,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He’s done.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Just too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Herring very solid, nothing spectacular but just massive for the weight and Carl couldn’t really get close. Retirement surely now.

Great work from Frampton’s corner, he was gone and no need for any more punishment

Thoroughly dominated...

Carl needs to hang em up now..said he will..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

That was hard to watch, feel sorry for Carl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Frampton looks a shadow of his former self. I said it at the time that I thought he should have retired after the Warrington fight and I have seen nothing since then that has made me change my mind

If you saw the deal he got with BT and ESPN that might have changed your mind !

But as far as boxing goes your right, he's clearly declined and far too small for Super-Featherweight.

Herring's decent, but not much more. Easy work for a genuine World class fighter at 130.

Feel sorry for Frampton, seems like the realisation that it's all over has just hit him. He's a true warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I think frampton is going to get beaten tonight I think he’s well past his best. Possibly a middle round stoppage

Thought it would end in tears. Shadow of his former self. Was miles off it tonight. Just about fit to be allowed to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Thoroughly dominated...

Carl needs to hang em up now..said he will..

Don't think there'll be any doubt about that. I don't think he's been the same fighter since he moved to Jamie Moore to be honest. McGuigan had him fighting on all cylinders. Shame to see it end like this for him.

Great work from Frampton’s corner, he was gone and no need for any more punishment

There's a strong chance he got saved from being knocked cold.

Yes he was winging hooks back, but he was off balance and it's a much stronger possibility Herring was going to chin a stunned Frampton bad, than one of those turn it in Frampton's favour.

• Administrators Posts: 53,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Big Ears wrote: »
    There's a strong chance he got saved from being knocked cold.

Yes he was winging hooks back, but he was off balance and it's a much stronger possibility Herring was going to chin a stunned Frampton bad, than one of those turn it in Frampton's favour.

He took a few big hits at the end, I’d say the ref wasn’t far from calling it.

Probably one of the best timed towels I've seen. Gave him just enough of a chance to keep swinging, and stopped him before he got knocked out.

Thought he had a pointed comment against the McGuigian’s there with the ‘the last few years have been the most enjoyable of my career’ ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭megadodge

Hard luck Carl.

Classy as ever in the interview.

Definitely time to retire.

Thanks for all the good times. Enjoy your retirement.

I’d say the McGuigans are bouncin around their living room!

• Advertisement

I’d say the McGuigans are bouncin around their living room!

I doubt Frampton cares what they think.

Don't think Barry has any fighters left now does he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Moore shouldnt have let that go on after the 2nd knockdown, it was as heavy as heavy can be.

Not a great performance by Carl, i feel for him, ive always been a big fan of his, not just the boxer, but the man himself. He's a good guy. Ive seen him win the Irish Seniors in the Stadium and was there the night he battered David Oliver Joyce and was up in Belfast the night he won the world title against Kiko Martinez to, but his hook up with the kinahans has really irked me, Shame he fell out with the McGuigans, because under Shane he really was a force to be reckoned with.

Moore proved again his amatuerness as a coach, the only thing he's achieved is making Carl a happy fighter again, because he certainly didnt make him a better boxer thats for sure.

Thought he had a pointed comment against the McGuigian’s there with the ‘the last few years have been the most enjoyable of my career’ ...

To be fair Shane had him doing hundreds of rounds of sparring against bigger guys. You could easily make an argument that Frampton left years off his prime in the gym by how he describes it. We'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Well beaten in the end, looked done after Warrington I thought. Seems to have slowed a lot since he left McGuigan, especially his feet.
    Carl had a great career all in, but its hard not to feel he could have gone on to so much more after the Santa Cruz win. The Donaire win was good, that aside he never came close again. Some bad business decisions prevented him maybe being remembered so much better, but one of the best from this island nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Morrison J wrote: »
    To be fair Shane had him doing hundreds of rounds of sparring against bigger guys. You could easily make an argument that Frampton left years off his prime in the gym by how he describes it. We'll never know.

He may have been a happier fighter under Jamie Moore but there's no doubt he was a better fighter under Shane McGuigan.

Plus, how many of the "little guys" go on much longer than 30.

I dont know the science behind it, but the little dudes dont seem to be able to do much once they hit the big 3-0

He was in Okolie's dressing room a couple of weeks back. Maybe just as a guest of shane, but he made sure the cameras saw him

Think Chris Billam-Smith is the only one he has left

He may have been a happier fighter under Jamie Moore but there's no doubt he was a better fighter under Shane McGuigan.

I dont know the science behind it, but the little dudes dont seem to be able to do much once they hit the big 3-0

Not sure of the exact science but all the horrible dieting and anti social lifestyle Im sure becomes harder when you get older/ have a partner and a family. The solution is to move up in weight, and a lot lose the natural advantages that made them so good in the first place as a result. Ricky Hatton had lifestyle issues for sure, but was a completely different fighter at 140 than he was at 147

Aye exactly the smaller fighters rely on being sharp and quick so any drop off tends to be noticeable pretty quick. Don't really rate Moore but I actually think he's been a bit unlucky in that he took on a shot fighter really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭megadodge

First look at Keshawn Davis and I'm seriously impressed.

Read a good article on him in Boxing News recently and I know the Americans had big hopes for him in the Olympics and were very disappointed he turned over.

Something about this kid looks special. And he's in a serious division too (lightweight). Looking forward to watching him progress.

Advertisement