Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need a new wetsuit

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

well if he had a zone 3 m or mt than he can be fairly sure that both suits will be an upgrade for him in the same sizing he had before.
    a needed upgrade thats another question but in terms of fit they will be good . the blue seventy is a bit longer in the upper body but otherwise they are a fairly similar cut

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

peter kern wrote: »
    well if he had a zone 3 m or mt than he can be fairly sure that both suits will be an upgrade for him in the same sizing he had before.
    a needed upgrade thats another question but in terms of fit they will be good . the blue seventy is a bit longer in the upper body but otherwise they are a fairly similar cut

Good to know about the Blueseventy, because I've a tall torso. That's they the orca fit me until the hips but fell short about 2 inches on the torso

The biggest problem with buying online is the fit- people often don't have much info to go on and end up deciding on a wetsuit by price (or by discount- I've done this myself).

I don't know where you live, but Base2Race in Dublin are open and will let you try on wetsuits in store. They sell the ZeroD range which have a variety of sizes, and the staff there know their stuff. I bought one there a few years back, expected to be size XL but the staff member sized me by sight as a Medium Tall. The suit felt way too tight in the store, but I was assured it was the correct size, and indeed it was once I started swimming in the water. They aren't the cheapest suits around but its worth paying whatever it takes for the advice you'll get.

Hmm never hears or zeroD wetsuits before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

bridest wrote: »
    Hmm never hears or zeroD wetsuits before

They're very good suits. I've had 5 of them over the past few years. The "entry level" Atlante will keep you warm and buoyant for lake swims. Possibly overkill for what you are looking for, but the main thing is you would have someone experienced helping you with size, and there is a wide variety of sizes available for all body shapes. Sometimes people get a bargain wetsuit online that is an ideal size, but TBH you can't beat an experienced fitter assisting with the correct size.

They're very good suits. I've had 5 of them over the past few years. The "entry level" Atlante will keep you warm and buoyant for lake swims. Possibly overkill for what you are looking for, but the main thing is you would have someone experienced helping you with size, and there is a wide variety of sizes available for all body shapes. Sometimes people get a bargain wetsuit online that is an ideal size, but TBH you can't beat an experienced fitter assisting with the correct size.

5, you must do a lot of swimming? I've had 1 zone3 for 7 years , swam every summer in it and it only started coming apart last year

• Advertisement

5, you must do a lot of swimming? I've had 1 zone3 for 7 years , swam every summer in it and it only started coming apart last year

Yes a lot of swimming (sea rather than lake which is harsher)- actually it is 4 ZeroD (2 still in use), and a further 2 HUUB (1 starting to tear, 1 new).

And lots of Blackwitch over the years too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Yes a lot of swimming (sea rather than lake which is harsher)- actually it is 4 ZeroD (2 still in use), and a further 2 HUUB (1 starting to tear, 1 new).

No hijacking the tread but I bought a huub wetsuit from sportspursuit.... impulse buy based on another wetsuit thread. It arrived I tried it on, was really careful putting it on and still put two bloody Knicks in it.
    As for the fit it is a bit tight in the crotch and shoulders but think it will be perfect once i get into the water

cuculainn wrote: »
    No hijacking the tread but I bought a huub wetsuit from sportspursuit.... impulse buy based on another wetsuit thread. It arrived I tried it on, was really careful putting it on and still put two bloody Knicks in it.
    As for the fit it is a bit tight in the crotch and shoulders but think it will be perfect once i get into the water

That's mad, I can be rough with my old zone3 and it only split on the seems, shoulders and crotch, and I never put a nick in it in 7 years. These suits must all be made from different grades of materials.
    Having said that, I've no nails, bite them to the stubs haha

So which brand do you prefer Kurt ?

Would love to have about 20 different wetsuits to try on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I've the Atlante, purchased in B2R and it (used to) fit me really well....I've expanded a little since....anyhoo, the only thing I really dislike about it is that the zip closes from top down rather than bottom up. It opens easily but I often need help to close it...and not everybody gives neoprene the handling it requires.

So which brand do you prefer Kurt ?

It all depends on conditions. The ZeroD Proflex is the "best" suit- great shoulder flexibility and best for racing in. The material around the arms is very thin and requires a lot of care. As Dilbert says, ZeroD suits can be difficult to zip down without assistance- fine at the Start of a Tri race, but not so good training on your own. I did manage to zip down the Atlante and Vangard ZeroD suits myself with a lot of practice, but the Proflex needs help. Definitely something to consider if most of your swimming will be solo.

I like the HUUB suits for general training (fine for racing in too), although they do have that reputation for being fragile and prone to nicks. They are easier to put on yourself. Mine has seen plenty of Blackwitch over 3 years. Both times I've bought around 50% discount from Sportspursuit, and would consider them poor value at full price- albeit very good suits if you are prepared to repair nicks.

The first suit I bought was a discount Speedo nearly 10 years ago online for less than €100. I still have it (seldom wear it these days though), but mention it because its relatively bulletproof compared to more expensive suits. I don't know if this is a general truth (I suspect so), but its been my experience that cheaper suits withstand more dings and knocks that might damage more expensive ones. Obviously there's a trade-off in terms of flexibility, but something to consider if you are essentially buying a suit that will just be used for training.

The "best" suit will be one that allows you to swim as though it wasn't there. That means thinner neoprene, which negates one of the main reasons for a wetsuit in the first place (heat retention). The tailors in the "Emperors New Clothes" could make a fortune from the Triathlon market!:D After that, its all about fit- no point in swimming in a €800 suit that causes you shoulder pain. From the sound of things, your Zone3 Advance has served you well and seems like the obvious choice to repurchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the atlante is a very good suit but then generally speaking if you were really happy with a zone 3 fit than the tendency is that zerod is unlikely to be as good as a fit , given that he did not like the orca the tendency is even higher unless your zone 3 was a tinny bit tight around the chest and upper arm

to the question which brand one prefers... i think that aquaman is the best wetsuit brand yet it dosnt work for me so to ask someobdy about what brand one prefers is not worth it without considering morphiology and swim style, of that person

It all depends on conditions. The ZeroD Proflex is the "best" suit- great shoulder flexibility and best for racing in. The material around the arms is very thin and requires a lot of care. As Dilbert says, ZeroD suits can be difficult to zip down without assistance- fine at the Start of a Tri race, but not so good training on your own. I did manage to zip down the Atlante and Vangard ZeroD suits myself with a lot of practice, but the Proflex needs help. Definitely something to consider if most of your swimming will be solo.

I like the HUUB suits for general training (fine for racing in too), although they do have that reputation for being fragile and prone to nicks. They are easier to put on yourself. Mine has seen plenty of Blackwitch over 3 years. Both times I've bought around 50% discount from Sportspursuit, and would consider them poor value at full price- albeit very good suits if you are prepared to repair nicks.

The first suit I bought was a discount Speedo nearly 10 years ago online for less than €100. I still have it (seldom wear it these days though), but mention it because its relatively bulletproof compared to more expensive suits. I don't know if this is a general truth (I suspect so), but its been my experience that cheaper suits withstand more dings and knocks that might damage more expensive ones. Obviously there's a trade-off in terms of flexibility, but something to consider if you are essentially buying a suit that will just be used for training.

The "best" suit will be one that allows you to swim as though it wasn't there. That means thinner neoprene, which negates one of the main reasons for a wetsuit in the first place (heat retention). The tailors in the "Emperors New Clothes" could make a fortune from the Triathlon market!:D After that, its all about fit- no point in swimming in a €800 suit that causes you shoulder pain. From the sound of things, your Zone3 Advance has served you well and seems like the obvious choice to repurchase.

Have had a couple of friends who purchased zone 3 recently and all of them opened up under the arms. They seem to be making them out of substandard material now. See they are using limestone eco friendly neoprene and maybe that's the problem

Somebody would make a fortune tailor making wetsuits for triathletes. Seeing some amateurs spend 10 to 15k on bikes!

I went into a internet hunt for information about the different neoprenes these companies use. Most use Yamamoto and there are different grades of it, 38,39 and 40. Read 38 is the most durable and least flexible. Some other brands develop their own neoprene or maybe they are just rebranding the yamamoto neoprene. Interesting stuff

Does anybody know any shops that sell Blueseventy wetsuits?

peter kern wrote: »
    the atlante is a very good suit but then generally speaking if you were really happy with a zone 3 fit than the tendency is that zerod is unlikely to be as good as a fit , given that he did not like the orca the tendency is even higher unless your zone 3 was a tinny bit tight around the chest and upper arm

to the question which brand one prefers... i think that aquaman is the best wetsuit brand yet it dosnt work for me so to ask someobdy about what brand one prefers is not worth it without considering morphiology and swim style, of that person

Got a 2xu P2 , wore today for the first time. It's brilliant. Expensive wetsuit but love it ...that's me sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

I had a zone3 advance for the last 2 years. This is the entry level suit, which after about a year came apart at the seems under the armpit. I wasnt rough with it, it just seemed to be very poorly made. After some googling, found out that this was a hugely common issue on that model (z3 Advance).
    So, off I went and decided to buy an Orca S7. Never fitted me anywhere like the Zone3. Nice and buoyant but it was too loose in certain areas and let water in etc. Sold that and went back to Zone3 Aspire.
    The Aspire seems to be significantly better built and feels excellent in the water. Just thought that I would add that...If your used to and happy with a certain brand of wetsuit, be cautious buying a new suit from other brands as they all can vary...

Advertisement