Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it me??

Options
  • 24-03-2021 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Is it me or are things gone back to the celtic tiger days ?

Machinery at a crazy all time high especially secondhand stuff ... wore out tractors/diggers fetching stupid money. Seen a fiat 110/90 for 45k on done deal like is there something I'm missing?

14 year old landcruisers/hiluxes with high mileage getting about 4k more than there worth!!

Man came at me to sell my mini digger and offered 3k more than I paid for it 2 years ago.

Sorry about the rant but do people not remember the years of 2010/2011/2012? Is anyone forecasting a big downturn and how soon do you reckon it will come?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

rs8 wrote: »

Machinery at a crazy all time high especially secondhand stuff ... wore out tractors/diggers fetching stupid money. Seen a fiat 110/90 for 45k on done deal like is there something I'm missing?

14 year old landcruisers/hiluxes with high mileage getting about 4k more than there worth!!

Man came at me to sell my mini digger and offered 3k more than I paid for it 2 years ago.

Sorry about the rant but do people not remember the years of 2010/2011/2012? Is anyone forecasting a big downturn and how soon do you reckon it will come?

Ya fully agree recently gave up on upgrading tractor as second hand tractors are gone mad money and currently trying to buy a jeep which is proving difficult while spending less thank 20 k !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Everything is gone mad - builders, materials machinery etc. There is a **** storm coming.
    Covid, businesses going bust, tax increases coming. All we need now are the banks to sh1t the bed and stop giving out loans and the whole thing will come crashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Give it a year after Covid lockdown ends and all the money that people saved up has washed through.
    Atm people have too much money and manufacturers are putting up prices because of scarcity of product from factories on half work from covid.

Sister bought a new car last year. Same car this year is 3k at least dearer.

Related to grant and covid but waiting lists on some slurry tanks are 8 months some a year. Prices have exploded naturally enough.

Even my dairy service technician for the dairy annual service was twice what it usually is.

Things are very very expensive now and some services and sellers are increasing margin to compensate. Becomes a vicious circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Me and a buddy are both in the market for fresh second hand jeeps and were holding off till things come somewhat more realistic. As he said he's never seen so many rangers/hiluxs with no towbars going into building sites so we're just going to bid our time

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Everything is gone made expensive alright but are things selling at these prices I wonder? How busy are machinery dealers with sales?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Saw a rust heap of a power washer for sale near me. Wanted 500. I nearly spilled my coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Governments around the world have been printing money like drunks since the last financial crisis - I guess you could call it Mugabe economics(after the late Zim leader)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

roosky wrote: »
    Ya fully agree recently gave up on upgrading tractor as second hand tractors are gone mad money and currently trying to buy a jeep which is proving difficult while spending less thank 20 k !!!

I’m in the same boat re jeep. No value out there. Another thing is the price of dogs. They seem to be latest boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Dogs and horses gone mad dear. One of my friends is a builder, has just upgraded the tractor for towing a trailer and just got a 50k 7seater skoda for the Mrs. Was going on about wind turbines could drop the value of his house from €400k. I told him not to be fooled by what auctioneers put on a house around here- there is no way he would get close to €250k for it no matter the spec.

He was saying he might need the extra value to invest in the company.

I’ll stick to my little Toyota car a while longer- 430000 km on the clock.

I had been looking on belted galloways for our wintering but the two in gory for big money for what they are is putting me off- a lad that’s always in the mart said, everyone is getting a Covid payment and nothing to spend it on and driving up prices of unusual cattle and dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Was half thinking of getting a dog. Wont say how much it was in the first place as it was mad but it has jumped up another €500 in the last week. The arse will fall out of that market whenever travel opens back up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Have to agree.
    Time to buckle up and spend as little as possible on anything bar the essentials.
    This could last a year or two maybe longer.

Now is not the time to build or buy expensive machinery.
    Quantitieve easing and extreme low interest rates compounded by this pandemic.
    Be some ****ing bang when this one blows.
    And no one will know when or how.
    Just like no one predicted the pandemic.

My prediction; 2023 it blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

Shure aren’t lads eating sambos now for €90 and he can’t keep them out.
    The boom is back I’m afraid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

richie123 wrote: »
    Have to agree.
    Time to buckle up and spend as little as possible on anything bar the essentials.
    This could last a year or two maybe longer.

Now is not the time to build or buy expensive machinery.
    Quantitieve easing and extreme low interest rates compounded by this pandemic.
    Be some ****ing bang when this one blows.
    And no one will know when or how.
    Just like no one predicted the pandemic.

My prediction; 2023 it blows.

Whenever the covid payment stops the key will be turned off for this one I reckon.

Was paying €8 for 5ft stakes in a local hardware one weekend and I was saying to myself a new chainsaw wouldn't be long paying for itself. Anyway supply and demand is the reason, timber is scarce because of this felling licence fiasco and decking boards are now €19.......Declan Decklander must be busy again:D.

I think some of it is due to card payments, people are not actually handing over cash.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

mickdw wrote: »
    Everything is gone mad - builders, materials machinery etc. There is a **** storm coming.
    Covid, businesses going bust, tax increases coming. All we need now are the banks to sh1t the bed and stop giving out loans and the whole thing will come crashing down.

We're seeing here in meath and the commuter towns around Dublin that lads won't work unless there getting 250 euro plus because there getting it in the city!!

I do be keeping an eye on the auctions on the phone and Saturday in portlaoise a taarup 6 rotor tedder made €4300 plus commission and properly vat!! We bought a shop soild 4 rotor krone for 8k two years ago .. considering how old a taarup product is since kverneland bought them out I think ill stick to my new machine for 3.5k more and do a few more laps of the field!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Governments are printing money. Its as simple as that. Its inflation, but by another name.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Plenty of people working from home on full wages, no commuting costs, no holidays to spend money on, no pubs or restaurants, kids at home during college, no accommodation costs, no expensive clothes shopping just basics bought online, no creche fees for some family's , a lot of money has been saved during the last year and it's burning a hole in people's pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat re jeep. No value out there. Another thing is the price of dogs. They seem to be latest boom.

I bought a pup for €300 at Christmas and I’m still giving out about it so really struggling with the price of Jeeps 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Plenty of people working from home on full wages, no commuting costs, no holidays to spend money on, no pubs or restaurants, kids at home during college, no accommodation costs, no expensive clothes shopping just basics bought online, no creche fees for some family's , a lot of money has been saved during the last year and it's burning a hole in people's pockets

I wish people werent such retards with their money.......

Sick of cyclical rises and falls...messes up plans etc, would love a relatively stable predictable sustainable reasonable level for prices for everything so I could get on with living instead of constantly adjusting plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The dog pounds and rescues will be full of the 2 grand dogs in 6 months time after they eat wee pateens Tommy Hilfiger slippers and they get fed up with not walking him and he barking at night.
    A fool and his money are easily parted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

2 things i think,alot of people have money as they havent been spent the money on drink nights out holidays and transport.alot of people have an extra 10 grand in the current account and the second thing is people are comfort buying.they have been stuck at home looking at the same thing with the last 12 months and just comfort buying.the other thing is working from home has become firmly established in the countryside is shifting people to the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

We're seeing here in meath and the commuter towns around Dublin that lads won't work unless there getting 250 euro plus because there getting it in the city!!

I do be keeping an eye on the auctions on the phone and Saturday in portlaoise a taarup 6 rotor tedder made €4300 plus commission and properly vat!! We bought a shop soild 4 rotor krone for 8k two years ago .. considering how old a taarup product is since kverneland bought them out I think ill stick to my new machine for 3.5k more and do a few more laps of the field!!

I'm in Cavan and I got a price off a guy of 3500 to lay about 750 blocks, didn't even come and look and then said it was a cash price.

Are people on drugs? They want a months wages for a weeks work if that.

I can't get a digger and operator to dig a soak hole and drainage trench, stone on site weeks now. Nobody interested in small jobs.

Pull the covid payment and roll on the big bang please !!!

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I'm in Cavan and I got a price off a guy of 3500 to lay about 750 blocks, didn't even come and look and then said it was a cash price.

I can't get a digger and operator to dig a soak hole and drainage trench, stone on site weeks now. Nobody interested in small jobs.

Funny enough but digger driving and concrete/block work were bits I was looking at on YouTube last night, I know the lads doing them jobs will do them faster and better, but like you say they see small jobs as a ballache.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think you're supposed to have your own digger, sure nearly everyone has one now;).

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

The secondhand market in Ireland was always ridiculous for everything with people wanting new money for something years old.

A small market/lack of competition and idiots willing to pay it people got away with it. Don't think bigger economies like the US, UK and Germany have this problem and second hand stuff is dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Fully agree. Lads are very quick to forget the jobs that's keep them going in the hard times. Lads do suffer in the long run with attitudes like that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Reggie. wrote: »
    Fully agree. Lads are very quick to forget the jobs that's keep them going in the hard times. Lads do suffer in the long run with attitudes like that

I'm happy to pay for the work but I would have thought two quid a block would be good money even into the hand. According to a self build facebook page two quid is city rates and the guy that wanted 3500 wouldn't have 15 minutes to travel.

I'm happy to pay for the work but I would have thought two quid a block would be good money even into the hand. According to a self build facebook page two quid is city rates and the guy that wanted 3500 wouldn't have 15 minutes to travel.

3500 is scandalous is any book for 700 blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Westmeath here and I paid lads €1 on flat and €1.20 on edge for 6 inch blocks and €1 per foot to cap the wall including piers about 3 weeks ago

I provided the cement mixer, barrow, consaw and I was around with a blockgrab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

!

That’s €4.67 a block ffs. Obviously the guy has plenty of work and doesn’t want the job so throws a ridiculous price on and he’s laughing if he gets it.

750 blocks is 2 or 3 day’s work - nice money if he got it but I’d be telling him to take a run and jump. Too much at a 1/3 of the price even if they were 6” blocks. I’d love to say for the craic - aye no bother, when can you start, and tell him the evening before that something has changed and you’re not not doing the job now.

• Advertisement

Dunedin wrote: »
    That’s €4.67 a block ffs. Obviously the guy has plenty of work and doesn’t want the job so throws a ridiculous price on and he’s laughing if he gets it.

750 blocks is 2 or 3 day’s work - nice money if he got it but I’d be telling him to take a run and jump. Too much at a 1/3 of the price even if they were 6” blocks. I’d love to say for the craic - aye no bother, when can you start, and tell him the evening before that something has changed and you’re not not doing the job now.

Money ran out tell him

Advertisement