Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heads Up on 23ft/24ft Boat

Options
  • 18-02-2021 4:52pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking to upgrade from my 19ft sailing boat to a 23ft or 24ft sailing boat/pocket cruiser with decent spec and in relatively good condition (inside and out) and ideally on the east coast (for easy transfer to DunLaoghaire).

Having been looking online for quite a while in the usual places....Adverts, Done Deal, Apolloduck, Afloat, etc., but have not seen a huge selection.

There are a couple of boats that have interiors stripped for racing which I am not interested in....more interested in comfort/coastal trips.

If anybody has heads up on anything fitting this spec for sale I would appreciate any links (or a PM).

Reason for 24ft (max.) is mooring I am on is for max. 24ft. Also reckon 24ft is good size for solo sailing without too much hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

2nd hand markets very quiet the last few months and very little for sale. You can put wanted ads up on apollo duck for free

Theres a GK 24 for sale on afloat at just under 4k down in Cork

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

neris wrote: »

Thanks....yes, saw that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

neris wrote: »

Nice racer but little comfort for cruising - very little headroom below with the flush superstructure.

My brother happily raced one for several years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Market is empty, there are very few boats in any category for sale. If I was you I'd look to get a Ruffian locally, or a trip over the boarder to NI once things open up and pick up a pocket cruiser there. Much easier to sail down the east coast than a trip round from the SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's no date on this ad

http://www.mourneboatsales.co.uk/pages/index.asp?title=Hunter_Sonata_coming_in_soon

but if it's current, a Sonata might meet your needs..... we had one for 16 years, and they're a great little boat - a lot lighter to handle than the Ruffian (with its HUGE jib), but a great boat that will take a lot of weather.

Couldn't recommend one highly enough!

There isn't standing headroom below - although I think that might be rare enough in a boat that size?

There's loads of them up north and in the south of England - their class association might have some leads on any for sale http://sonata.org.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks for all the suggestions/comments so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I don't know of one for sale, but a Leisure 23sl would suit ideally. They have an active owners association and you could try posting a 'wanted' advert there.

Mick Tator wrote: »
    I don't know of one for sale, but a Leisure 23sl would suit ideally. They have an active owners association and you could try posting a 'wanted' advert there.

Thanks Mick. There is one on Adverts I look at every so often, but just not sure about that particular one.

This really took my fancy but just a pity it's in Cork. http://www.mgmboats.com/usedboats/detail/Northstar-500_4387667?currency_type_text=EUR

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As a past owner of a Leisure 23, I can recommend them, solid little 1970s English cruising boat. Quite rare now as a lot of the pocket cruisers from that era are.

That Northstar 500 has been for sale for over a decade believe it or not, I remember looking at adverts for her when we bought our last boat in the late naughties.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    That Northstar 500 has been for sale for over a decade believe it or not, I remember looking at adverts for her when we bought our last boat in the late naughties.

Thanks for the heads up....maybe there is a reason it's not selling!

• Advertisement

As a past owner of a Leisure 23, I can recommend them, solid little 1970s English cruising boat. Quite rare now as a lot of the pocket cruisers from that era are.

Ripe for a bit of negotiation, maybe???

The money you save you could spend on getting it delivered or trailed, if you didn't fancy the slog up from Cork (although if you have the time you can make quite the lovely gourmet/scenic trip of it with a few well-chosen pitstops!).

This is the price range she started out at, and is still going for with one broker
    http://www.bjmarine.net/boats-for-sale/1974-howard-hughes-north-star-500-ireland-590629/

This is the price range she started out at, and is still going for with one broker
    http://www.bjmarine.net/boats-for-sale/1974-howard-hughes-north-star-500-ireland-590629/

Seeing pictures in that link, not sure interior layout is great? Sink in companionway looks like a recipe for an accident! :rolleyes:

You have me encouraged on L23 front. Must keep my eyes peeled.

Hunter Sonata for sale in Dublin.

https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/hunter-boats-sonata-for-sale/622323

I know this boat - we raced against (and got trounced by) her for years! Was sold by that owner about five years ago, so not sure where she is now (I think the new owners were also DL club members), but that's a good boat.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hunter Sonata for sale in Dublin.

https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/hunter-boats-sonata-for-sale/622323

I know this boat - we raced against (and got trounced by) her for years! Was sold by that owner about five years ago, so not sure where she is now (I think the new owners were also DL club members), but that's a good boat.

Thanks Heidi

I did have a look at that before, but as far as I am aware the interior is pretty much stripped bare for racing.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Thanks Heidi

I did have a look at that before, but as far as I am aware the interior is pretty much stripped bare for racing.

Looking at the (single!) interior picture, all it's missing is the cushions. They aren't the most luxurious of cruisers in the first place, which may not suit your purposes in fairness.

I am no fergal.b....I would not have the patience for a project or fit-out! :)

Another to consider is the Jaguar 23.

Another to consider is the Jaguar 23.

A super boat on the outside, incredibly tight inside. Very pretty lines though.

Sorry, was the Jag 22 I was thinking about. 23 is a good call.

https://northernireland.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/jaguar-23-for-sale/650794

Another suitable candidate, the very well regarded Achilles 24. Not massive inside, but very seaworthy and I have seen a few in the marina in DL that have come over from England.

https://northernireland.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/achilles-24-for-sale/641460

• Advertisement

Expanding my search....in terms of size of boat!

Just wondering has anybody any views on an Etap 28? A nice looking one has come up for sale.

Very well regarded brand. Built in Belgium IIFC. Some (all?) had a foam core to make them unsinkable and this also meant a well insulated hull. I would certainly put that brand on the short list. A detailed survey would highlight any issues.

If you are willing to go that size, Shipman 28 is a boat that can be had for very cheap too.

Very well regarded brand. Built in Belgium IIFC. Some (all?) had a foam core to make them unsinkable and this also meant a well insulated hull. I would certainly put that brand on the short list. A detailed survey would highlight any issues.

If you are willing to go that size, Shipman 28 is a boat that can be had for very cheap too.

I dislike foam cores. Any water ingress and it gets stored as the foam breaks down. The boat then gains a huge amount of weight.

The Shipman is a great boat.The early oneswere very well built but the later builds were not as good and later suffered from osmosis. You’d have to be fit to manage one on your own. Personally, for solo sailing I’d stay below 25ft unless I was planning a lot of passage sailing or overnighting. A Trapper 500 is another possibility or a MG - they had one about 25ft, cannot remember the exact model name.

...for solo sailing I’d stay below 25ft...

That's what I am thinking, so I have not jumped to look at the Etap. Picking up a mooring on your own on a smaller boat can be challenging enough especially with any bit of a breeze!

After a bit of research, an ideal boat would be a Hunter Ranger/Channel 245.

There's a little bit of history....for somebody who likes lots of upkeep and painting/varnishing! Built by Harland & Wolff.

https://www.apolloduck.ie/boat/classic-boats-sailing-yacht-for-sale/646591

Looks like it has a little wood burning stove!

. Personally, for solo sailing I’d stay below 25ft unless I was planning a lot of passage sailing or overnighting. A Trapper 500 is another possibility or a MG - they had one about 25ft, cannot remember the exact model name.

The Trapper 500 (aka C&C 27) is over 27ft long :P

I single-handed a 23' very well and then stepped up to a 27' boat and sailed in company with a single-handed Cobra 850, it's very straightforward once you leave the pontoon and have a tiller pilot to assist. I anchored a fair bit too.

But having also sailed on a Ruffian out of the inner harbour in DL, I would want to be confident in my abilities (and with a low freeboard) to be alone when using a mooring in congested waters.

But a marina berth gives the scope for single-handing up to 32ft quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

If you can stretch to 28FT, this is a great boat, I sailed these for about 10 years and the Impala is a great little boat, offering headroom, coastal sailing and racing for not too much dollar. This one has had a lot of love over the last few years
    https://www.hyc.ie/buy-and-sell/945-impala-28-wild-mustard

Cionn wrote: »
    If you can stretch to 28FT, this is a great boat, I sailed these for about 10 years and the Impala is a great little boat, offering headroom, coastal sailing and racing for not too much dollar. This one has had a lot of love over the last few years.

Nice one....thanks. I wouldn't have to leave the Hunter Association either! :)

I will have a closer look, and probably would prefer to the Etap, but not sure if I have scared myself off that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

great boat and has had multiples of the asking price invested in the last few years. great size a bit tippy downwind vrs the Etap but more versatile for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's an early 90s beneteau first 28 on the marina in howth that hasn't moved in years. Looks like it's still in good condition externally. She's not for sale afaik but I'm sure if you contacted the marina office they might help you out.

Advertisement