Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Cronin?

He's 30 years old and hasn't played a test in 5 years.

Nonetheless, I think he's a better option than Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Unfortunately Irelands defence is also a real issue.
    See shambolic tries conceded v France, England & even Georgia.
    Not helped by picking a FB where none of his primary attributes are defence and all of his weakness are defence!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The problem with that is it means that the player isn't guaranteed money. A drop in form or injuries would massively affect his income. If he has a family and is then offered a guaranteed salary for 3 or 4 years by a club in France, Japan or the UK, he might prioritise their well-being over playing for Ireland.

Perhaps, but it looks like there will be reduced finances across the board globally. I'd also wager most players would want to stay at the Provinces because they are better clubs as a whole. More competitive than all bar a handful of French and English ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would have hoped that this series of games would have presented clear frontrunners for key positions going forward.
    I think we still have no clear candidate for hooker. Herring is imo the best of what we've seen so far. Kelleher imo has been poor and I think Heffernan is average. This is a cause for concern.
    Healy is still good for 40 minutes. He clearly is not dynamic anymore and has a lot of milage. Ed Byrne is not good enough imo. I eagerly await the 6nations to see the selection here.
    JGP looks decent and could feature going forward, Murray has been ok and Marmion looks to be out of favor. I expect Murray to be the starter for the 6nations with JGP as the reserve. Maybe Cooney comes back in...
    Sexton is still our best 10. Burns looks better than RB and Carberry is still out. Who knows if Carberry will return and be as good as he was.
    I think we still are no clearer in selections for these positions.
    Hopefully Furlong gets back and returns to top form. Porter has been good and industrious but, but I think Furlong is better.
    The back row seems undercooked too. I reckon VDF will come back in next week.
    There's tons of questions... still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

i don’t think we saw enough of Ed Byrne to make any kind of statement on his international prowess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I would have hoped that this series of games would have presented clear frontrunners for key positions going forward.
    I think we still have no clear candidate for hooker. Herring is imo the best of what we've seen so far. Kelleher imo has been poor and I think Heffernan is average. This is a cause for concern.
    Healy is still good for 40 minutes. He clearly is not dynamic anymore and has a lot of milage. Ed Byrne is not good enough imo. I eagerly await the 6nations to see the selection here.
    JGP looks decent and could feature going forward, Murray has been ok and Marmion looks to be out of favor. I expect Murray to be the starter for the 6nations with JGP as the reserve. Maybe Cooney comes back in...
    Sexton is still our best 10. Burns looks better than RB and Carberry is still out. Who knows if Carberry will return and be as good as he was.
    I think we still are no clearer in selections for these positions.
    Hopefully Furlong gets back and returns to top form. Porter has been good and industrious but, but I think Furlong is better.
    The back row seems undercooked too. I reckon VDF will come back in next week.
    There's tons of questions... still.

Bit unfair on Kelleher I think. Yes the lineout was a disaster in London and he must take his share of the blame. But we had an inexperienced caller with the added burden of captaincy. Kelleher put Billy Vunipola on his back in the first few minutes of the game. He offers a lot more around the park than Herring (Defense, ball carrying etc) and is thought by scrum experts to be a very strong in that area. Yes lineout is an issue but I wouldn't go so far as to say hes been poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

i don’t think we saw enough of Ed Byrne to make any kind of statement on his international prowess.

His international prowess was decided before he even set foot on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

bilston wrote: »
    Healy is still pretty essential.

If he is then it’s due to failure of other players to succeed him.

He’s not the player he was a few years ago. Contribution around the park has diminished in recent games. Ed Byrne is handy around the park but I don’t think he’s a great solution at the moment. Kilcoyne’s injury is unfortunate as he should have been pushing to take that jersey.

Nothing wrong with giving the options game time. Bealam wasn’t great at the weekend but I’m fine with the experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Honestly, the biggest change required in the next few years is for the fans to accept that the current batch of players might not be as good as their predecessors.

If he is then it’s due to failure of other players to succeed him.

He’s not the player he was a few years ago. Contribution around the park has diminished in recent games. Ed Byrne is handy around the park but I don’t think he’s a great solution at the moment. Kilcoyne’s injury is unfortunate as he should have been pushing to take that jersey.

Nothing wrong with giving the options game time. Bealam wasn’t great at the weekend but I’m fine with the experiment

I'd go as far to say that it was selection based on hope only. Wing & a prayer stuff.
    That was the latest in a number of selections that shows Farrell shortcomings as a selector. Its the toughest part of his job.
    But just very naive to think Bealham could switch back to LH after a 4 year gap. v Georgia of all teams!
    Ok O’Sullivan was late into camp (also Farrell’s fault – played 72 mins v Scarlets the day after England game) but at least he can play LH.

The reliance on Healy is a result of Farrell playing him and not giving viable alternatives like O'Sullivan or even Cronin prior to the Georgia game.

Now we have Scotland before 6N opener v Wales
    Is Bealham going to play again or even bench ahead of O'Sullivan? I should hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd go as far to say that it was selection based on hope only. Wing & a prayer stuff.
    That was the latest in a number of selections that shows Farrell shortcomings as a selector. Its the toughest part of his job.
    But just very naive to think Bealham could switch back to LH after a 4 year gap. v Georgia of all teams!
    Ok O’Sullivan was late into camp (also Farrell’s fault – played 72 mins v Scarlets the day after England game) but at least he can play LH.

The reliance on Healy is a result of Farrell playing him and not giving viable alternatives like O'Sullivan or even Cronin prior to the Georgia game.

Now we have Scotland before 6N opener v Wales
    Is Bealham going to play again or even bench ahead of O'Sullivan? I should hope not.

Continually baffled that Buckley is left out in the cold, if Healy deemed to be past it. He's at least as good as any of the other options available.

Honestly, the biggest change required in the next few years is for the fans to accept that the current batch of players might not be as good as their predecessors.

yes

but the delusion is strong in more than a few

other nations have moved forward in comparison with stronger squads and indeed coaching competence also

Continually baffled that Buckley is left out in the cold, if Healy deemed to be past it. He's at least as good as any of the other options available.

I agree.
    He was clearly not for Joe.
    But to continue with Healy during this nothing tournament which culminates in Belham having to switch to LH is an indictment of the short term thinking displayed by Farrell.

One or two of O'Sullivan, Buckley or Cronin should have had at least 120mins of rugby this Autumn.
    What happens if Healy gets injured for 6N?
    Who covers Ed Byrne?
    They'll prob switch Porter back to LH!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭redmca2

How come Jack McGrath is not in the conversation?
    Was he not a Lion starter 32 years ago?

Weather that’s the case or not is irrelevant, the players aren’t playing anywhere near as well as they are capable of, that’s the point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭b.gud

redmca2 wrote: »

I didn't think there was a Lions test in 1988 :D

Like most of the Irish players he has gone really soft in the last 18 months.

I think there is something in the idea that the players just aren’t as good as the ones before them. Lots of 6or7/10 players to choose from but not many players who will challenge for Lions places.

Also, why do we think Ryan is the next captain? He shown no outward signs of being a big personality. He’s a very good player, no doubt about that, but why captain? He seems like more of an introvert who will do his job all day long, but I haven’t seen any signs that he’s suited to captaincy.

redmca2 wrote: »

like Jordi, he doesn’t play for Leinster anymore. they don’t call him “Face Doesn’t Fit” Farrell for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think there is something in the idea that the players just aren’t as good as the ones before them. Lots of 6or7/10 players to choose from but not many players who will challenge for Lions places.

Also, why do we think Ryan is the next captain? He shown no outward signs of being a big personality. He’s a very good player, no doubt about that, but why captain? He seems like more of an introvert who will do his job all day long, but I haven’t seen any signs that he’s suited to captaincy.

He captained probably our most successful u20 side of all time.

• Advertisement

perhaps Farrell has mistaken having the required “big personality” with simply being big? at 6”8 he is taller than most other captains and could assuredly defeat them in single combat, if required.

except Matera. everyone’s afraid of Matera.

Bazzo wrote: »
    He captained probably our most successful u20 side of all time.

Do you think he looked suited to it in the last couple of games?

He has a history of captaincy at age grade and seems to have the respect of the squad. Considered measured.

He's a guaranteed starter for the foreseeable future unless his form goes off a cliff completely

He's Irish (not likely to appoint a project player captain or even one of the others with an Irish granny)

More of the "lead-by-example" captains but so is someone say like Owen Farrell at England. Both are fairly quiet off-the-pitch.

Who else is there that meets all those requirements?

The ones we have got us to number one in the world not that long ago, it’s another convenient excuse to hide over the fact that they just aren’t playing well enough, I don’t know what happened but something must have happened between the autumn international and the start of the 6N because the Irish players aggression and intensity went down the gutter in such a short space of time, the exact players who would get into a world 15 wouldn’t even get close within afew months.

He’s more of a leader in what he does than what he says, his issue I think is he is too ambitious for his own good at times, too many times when he makes the captains call he wants to go to touch with a penalty instead of taking the kick at goal, was a big turning point in the France and England match.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

glasso wrote: »
    He has a history of captaincy at age grade and seems to have the respect of the squad. Considered measured.

He's a guaranteed starter for the foreseeable future unless his form goes off a cliff completely

He's Irish (not likely to appoint a project player captain or even one of the others with an Irish granny)

More of the "lead-by-example" captains but so is someone say like Owen Farrell at England. Both are fairly quiet off-the-pitch.

Who else is there that meets all those requirements?

Ringrose is the best candidate for Captain for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think the same could've been said of Drico when he was first appointed captain. (Continuing the comparisons, they're the last 2 players to get capped for Ireland before getting capped for their province). Fully expect him to be the long-term captain following Sexton.

If you have your doubts, who would be prefer to see get the captaincy?

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    The ones we have got us to number one in the world not that long ago, it’s another convenient excuse to hide over the fact that they just aren’t playing well enough, I don’t know what happened but something must have happened between the autumn international and the start of the 6N because the Irish players aggression and intensity went down the gutter in such a short space of time, the exact players who would get into a world 15 wouldn’t even get close within afew months.

this is late 2020

no point in being stuck in early 2019

old players got older

a couple retired

some new ones came in

one coach gone, an assistant coach with zero head-coach experience now in charge and assistants looking poor. head coach needs help

uncertainty in the camp now about contracts to be renewed

other nations have gotten better while Ireland have gone backwards

aloooof wrote: »
    I think the same could've been said of Drico when he was first appointed captain. (Continuing the comparisons, they're the last 2 players to get capped for Ireland before getting capped for their province). Fully expect him to be the long-term captain following Sexton.

If you have your doubts, who would be prefer to see get the captaincy?

I’m not suggesting anyone. I’m questioning the assumption that he’s the “natural” next captain.

I think it shows a big problem as there are very few players who are nailed on to start. At the moment (apart from
    Front rows) there is Ryan, Stander and sexton. The rest are not guaranteed to start, sexton is too old for any medium term plan and Stander is a foreigner.

Ringrose is a good choice right now but he was rightly dropped ahead of the World Cup and played his way back into great form since then. He’s be a good choice for captain right now. But we can’t have the situs with Best where the captain was playing poorly but they painted themselves into a corner by always playing him up to that point - because he’s the captain so he has to play.

I think they should have a different approach to captaincy. For example have a captaincy group and nominate a player each week to be the captain on the pitch and take the media duties. Being a good player doesn’t mean they easily handle the pressure of the media work. Under 20s captain isn’t really the same as senior international in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Next you'll be telling me the 10 doesn't have to be the kicker. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Watching 'Against the Head' on RTE. They're highlighting the lack of vision in the backs. The centres especially come out of it badly. Farrell and McCloskey ignored overlaps in favour of kicking in behind. Which is bad enough to begin with it, but compounded by the fact they were poorly executed kicks too.

It looks like we tried to incorporate the lessons we learned from the England game against a side that defends nothing like them. We knew we didn't kick enough a week ago so kicked too often, ignoring the better attacking opportunities our wings had.

Advertisement