Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

• 25-10-2020 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I see the Sunday Times is reporting that gyms might reopen on 19 November.
    It has emerged that a November 19 review of the current level five restrictions could result in the 5km travel limit being raised to 10km, and the reopening of golf and tennis clubs, as well as gyms, if there is a significant improvement in the R number, the positivity rate from testing, and the incidence of Covid cases per 100,000 of population.

Really hoping that is the case. I'm suffering without the gym.

Do people expect this to happen on 19 November?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Szero wrote: »
    I see the Sunday Times is reporting that gyms might reopen on 19 November.

Really hoping that is the case. I'm suffering without the gym.

Do people expect this to happen on 19 November?

It will have been 4 weeks at Level 5 by 19 November. They did promise a review after 4 weeks.

Here's hoping.

Can't read that article without signing up for a trial, any more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Perhaps on a regional basis, depending on case numbers but I am doubtful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

Hopefully this can happen in 4 weeks. Fingers Crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Would swimming pools be included in this I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

HBC08 wrote: »
    Would swimming pools be included in this I wonder?

Yes, swimming pools and gyms are grouped in the Covid phases plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ciara17

That's really good news. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Interesting to read about the approach gyms in the UK are taking - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54689877

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

And how long they would stay open? for 2 weeks, 4 weeks? another little blip in cases and everything is closed again. It took me 9+weeks to rebuild my lost strength after previous lockdown, I'm sure my "gainz" be down to zero again after gyms finally re-open and it's not enough time till xmas to even get back into it properly (another lockdown after xmas is almost certain, like 99% certain).
    Interestingly gyms stayed open up in N.I. during the second wave lockdown, not even mentioning of them closing, and their cases were through the roof.

To be fair, NI isn't exactly an example to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

j@utis wrote: »
    And how long they would stay open? for 2 weeks, 4 weeks? another little blip in cases and everything is closed again. It took me 9+weeks to rebuild my lost strength after previous lockdown, I'm sure my "gainz" be down to zero again after gyms finally re-open and it's not enough time till xmas to even get back into it properly (another lockdown after xmas is almost certain, like 99% certain).
    Interestingly gyms stayed open up in N.I. during the second wave lockdown, not even mentioning of them closing, and their cases were through the roof.

Ronan Glynn said at the time and since that level 5 restrictions would take 2 weeks to filter through to a reduction in cases. Based on that, the current fall in cases was due to level 3 and banning house visits so I can't see any reason not to open up the gyms and leave them open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Cill94

I think it's probably best to adopt a 'hope for the best, plan for the worst' approach at this point. I would start planning to get really creative with minimal equipment/bodyweight training and base your goals around that.

Opening on 19th seems very unlikely to me. I think gyms may get an easier go of things next time we lockdown, but you just can't tell with this government.

It will only take one news story about a gym-based cluster to ruin it for the whole industry.

They've said there is unlikely to be a change before the end of the 6 weeks.

As said by Cill, plan ahead based on gyms not being open before December

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/level-5-restrictions-will-remain-for-full-six-weeks-says-varadkar-1.4401234%3fmode=amp

Mr Varadkar has acknowledged to his party, however, that there are strong arguments for relaxing restrictions coming from multiple sectors.

He told his party that there were arguments being made around baby clothes, golf and tennis, and individuals being able to go to the gym and he is understood to have told the party that he himself is finding it difficult not having access to the gym.

Leo isn't going to be making too many demands for a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

DVDM93 wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/level-5-restrictions-will-remain-for-full-six-weeks-says-varadkar-1.4401234%3fmode=amp
    he is understood to have told the party that he himself is finding it difficult not having access to the gym.

Gosh, I’d give him access to you my home gym except, ye know, he’s a wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Any hope at all that gyms will reopen on 19 November?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Not a hope.

November 19 isn't too far away and not word about anything opening up again.

It'll be a case of "come back in another two weeks lads".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

For sanity, its best to keep expectations low and flexible with your plans. Lumping all your hopes on gyms being open is risky. Best to assume they will be closed until December at the earliest. That way, any earlier opening will come as a surprise bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was guessing after Christmas...I think the sensible option would be get Christmas out of the way, open them, say the middle of January and see...

Strumms wrote: »
    I was guessing after Christmas...I think the sensible option would be get Christmas out of the way, open them, say the middle of January and see...

Unless they continue with restrictions at level 4/5, gyms aren't going to stay closed when they can pull in some membership money.

• Advertisement

I hope they keep them shut. They are flouting regulations near me, at least two are still open all the time.

LorenzoB wrote: »
    I hope they keep them shut. They are flouting regulations near me, at least two are still open all the time.

That's an issue with those two particular businesses. Not an issue for all gyms to pay the price for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Have you reported them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lucky customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why? So we can sit at home like vegetables gaining weight and deteriorating physical health? Really sick and tired of these lockdown zealots sticking their busybody noses into everything. If you’re bothered stay at home. And mind your own business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Omega28

As much as I would love them to open back up, I just can't see it happening. I think they will keep them closed until January.

Hopefully I'm wrong but that's my gut feeling about this.

They'll probably reopen at level 3

They'll probably reopen at level 3

Mmm I don't know. I think level 3 will have tweaks and one of them will be to keep gyms closed.

Omega28 wrote: »
    Mmm I don't know. I think level 3 will have tweaks and one of them will be to keep gyms closed.

When Dublin was at Level 3+, gyms were open.

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed.

Advertisement