Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hades (PC and Switch)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I would love to se Supergiant expand on this game in the future, it seems to be a massive hit for them and well deserved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If they do expand it, I’d hope they do so while working on their next project. Can’t wait to see where they go next - Pyre to me was a bigger narrative success than Hades, so there are certainly more directions for them to explore.

Hades is pretty close to perfect in its current state so would not be at all dissatisfied if there’s not much more added, as nice as it could potentially be to see solid expansions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A Switch port of Pyre would be nice for a start :D

It's a weird posistion SuperGiant are in: clear Hades has been a smash hit (no idea of actual numbers mind), but a lot of its success was down to the years spent in Early Access, massaging every aspect to a mirror finish. It really is the poster child of EA done correctly. Post release expansions might run the risk of diluting or underwhelming that incredibly tight final game we have been playing. Wedging new content into Zag's story might disrupt that existing balance, so for starters any DLC might be better off following another character entirely.

What I'm basically saying is... the expansion should clearly be Dusa Cleaning Simulator :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got the credits, amazing game !

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

After just beating this spotted this show

https://youtu.be/9JAQh544RHE

Coming to netflix end of the month made my the same guys who did castlevania

It's called blood of Zeus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

Heard only the best reviews about it, too bad I didn't know about the game in the early access. It seems it's great in terms of in-game activities and graphics, but what about the story? Does it have one since it's single-player only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,027 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, lots and lots of story - well-written, funny, with lots of superb characters. Even hits some surprisingly potent emotional beats. I’d put Pyre above it in terms of stakes and player agency in how the story unfolds, but in Hades - unlike most games - new chunks of story are a genuine reward after a run (win or lose).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Regis779 wrote: »
    Heard only the best reviews about it, too bad I didn't know about the game in the early access. It seems it's great in terms of in-game activities and graphics, but what about the story? Does it have one since it's single-player only?

It has one of the best, if not the best, written stories I've played in a video game. It's characterful; sweet, tragic, funny, and filled with a range of folks you'll find yourself latching onto quick smart.

One reviewer elsewhere online remarked that Hades was a stealth visual novel, and yeah, it kinda is with respect to its characters; with a tight isometric rogue RPG built on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Made it to styx last night on run no. 21, but fell foul of the poison rats as I'd gotten quite the hammering from the previous boss. what an absolute cracker of a game. Its all beginning to click with me and I'm starting to see how you can aim towards a certain build type by clever use of the trinkets etc. Have done a few runs focused on gathering darkness & keys, and have only just now noticed from reading the thread, that there's a switch at the side of the mirror to alter the benefits!

the best thing though, is that no run feels like a waste of time, the story is constantly being advanced, and every weapon is so genuinely good, that a run with one of your favorites can easily turn into a mega run, due to an unexpected combination of boons.

Styx is the only section I find a little tedious to get through. The combination of small spaces and poison enemies feels a little mean spirited and can sometimes feel more a chore than other levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

How does it run on Switch folks. 20% off again and tempted to pick it up

skerry wrote: »
    How does it run on Switch folks. 20% off again and tempted to pick it up

Only ever played in handheld mode but runs perfectly IMO, butter smooth. Might be 60fps but couldn't give you a figure TBH.

Picked this up yesterday and seems really good so far, although I'm not sure what much of the upgrades etc do but have been reading through the thread here for some good tips. Combat is great. Only had three runs so far but got to and beat Magdera on my third run, which was my first run using the bow. Got to next area but only about 20% health left and died on a mini boss. Would be nice if they doors told you what each one meant but I'm sure that will be clear once I get used to them. Looking like 17 quid very well spent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Late to the party on this, cleared Extreme Measures 4 twice in a row last night (heat 10), the second run was with the Poseidon sword which dislodges the casting diamonds. If you combine that sword with some powerful casts (the sword gives cast +50%) and get the jumping special and artemis' dislodging damage you can basically face roll the game.

I deleted the heroes here, was pretty ridiculous

I've sunk dozens & dozens of hours into Hades, and never seen that version of Theseus :eek: This game really puts so many others to shame.

Never have bothered with the diamonds though; never pick up boons for them, while 3 feels kinda too small to be useful; what's the broad strokes on how best to use them?

I think you need to pursue a build around them, some builds I've had the casts are really only useful as minor support attacks, like the Athena deflect shield one. There's a mirror upgrade which iirc upgrades backstab damage if a diamond is lodged in somebody, but I forget.

To get the most out of casts you really have to stack on the additional boons which give new properties to spells. So for example the poseiden tidal cast by itself is alright to knock people out of the way in a AOE. But you can also get a boon to induce 'rupture', a damage over time status which will affect anyone caught in a tidal move. You can get another boon which causes a big tidal AOE if you knock enemies against barriers, which the poseidon spell is obviously very good at. In Elysium you can use positioning to your advantage and dash between those soldiers and kill a massive group of them by just casting the tidal cast at them three times. Even better if there's a spear trap to knock them into (cast damage + knockback against wall + AOE from knockback + rupture damage + trap damage = goodbye)

There's also boons which do things to make even 3 casts more useful, like the Zeus one which causes any diamonds you havent picked up to basically be lightning rods. Artemis has a boon where any diamond which is dislodged does extra damage. Hermes has an extremely rare one where the cast will automatically go back to Zag when they are dislodged. If you try and fish for at least a couple of these and get a weapon which buffs casts then you can really overpower and trivialise a lot of mechanics.

TL;DR, boons which augment casts and the behaviour of lodged/dropped diamonds are very very useful, moreso than they appear at first glance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

How do I get the final conversation with Skellies?

I'm at end game but cant seem to trigger his last diagloue.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I ignored this on release but it might actually be the most addictive game Ive ever played, I literally cant stop. So satisfying when your perks all come together and you start slaughtering.

Without too much spoilers, is the shield the best weapon in the game or should I focus on something else? All my best runs seem to happen when upgrades make the shield throw hits multiple targets and leave doom/weak/hungover effects on them, I dont see how any other weapon can compete with that tbh but I only started playing 2 days ago.

Thargor wrote: »
    I ignored this on release but it might actually be the most addictive game Ive ever played, I literally cant stop. So satisfying when your perks all come together and you start slaughtering.

Without too much spoilers, is the shield the best weapon in the game or should I focus on something else? All my best runs seem to happen when upgrades make the shield throw hits multiple targets and leave doom/weak/hungover effects on them, I dont see how any other weapon can compete with that tbh but I only started playing 2 days ago.

The beauty of the various weapons, is that a throwaway run, can turn out to be an absolute Stormer due to an unexpected combination of boons. I hated the shield initially but grew to love it, same for the bow.

It’s almost a cliche to say every weapon is viable.. but every weapon is viable :pac: My favourite weapon shifted multiple times over the course of the game, and I cleared it with all of them at least once. You’re never more than a good hammer upgrade or fortuitous boon combo away from a screen clearer of a build.

• Advertisement

All my best runs seem to happen when upgrades make the shield throw hits multiple targets and leave doom/weak/hungover effects on them, I dont see how any other weapon can compete with that tbh but I only started playing 2 days ago.
    Ha that theory went out the window pretty quick with the rail. Beat the Minotaur and his friend for the first time this evening, then I just kept on going, finished it on my first attempt, well cleared it for the first time anyway.

Basically massively boosted special plus triple mortar then later massively boosted attack with homing rounds then got a boon that meant every single time you damaged anyone with attack or special you would launch a gold homing arrow, I couldnt see the screen most of the time there were so many explosions and golden arrows going off.

Im going back to the bow now though, the rail just feels like cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Seeing reports that Hades has been rated for PS4 in Korea, which means announcement of a PS4 version might be coming soon.

Ha that theory went out the window pretty quick with the rail. Beat the Minotaur and his friend for the first time this evening, then I just kept on going, finished it on my first attempt, well cleared it for the first time anyway.

Basically massively boosted special plus triple mortar then later massively boosted attack with homing rounds then got a boon that meant every single time you damaged anyone with attack or special you would launch a gold homing arrow, I couldnt see the screen most of the time there were so many explosions and golden arrows going off.

Im going back to the bow now though, the rail just feels like cheating.

Picked this up again yesterday after reading a few updates on here. Hadn't played since November. Tried rail for the first time. Was fun but don't think I got great boons going.

I must not be synergising boons to the best effect as I've got to the last level a few times but never felt like I was absolutely wrecking house and sailing through the levels. Same with Dead Cells, I can get quite far and got to final boss several times but pressure gets to me. Still love the genre though even though I'm not the best at them. Slay the Spire is probably my favourite.

Im clearing it with every weapon then Im going to leave it for Subnautica: BZ. I cant seem to kill him with the spear though, Im rich from all the attempts so Ive maxed out loads of the meta stuff but I just cant do it, what do people focus on on a good spear run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭brady12

Why is it so hard get this in physical form for switch ? Cex don't even stock it , weird ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,082 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Blah, when I saw this bumped I was hoping it would be for a Playstation release date.

I'd love some DLC for this, but at the same time the game is such a precision piece of engineering, new content might throw off the balance.

Tbh the final dungeon feels really unfinished to me

the last area before you fight daddy?
    yeah, my least favourite part - if only because of the poxy poison.

• Advertisement

I think it has a good idea, but the implementation just feels a little off somehow. Once I got used to the poison attack timings, I actually find it way easier than the previous dungeons. And knowing upfront what rewards are behind each door means I can strategies a bit better; maybe that was deliberate by the devs, who knows.

Advertisement