Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weightlifting Cage Plan

Options
  • 06-09-2020 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Considering building my own weightlifting cage and was wondering were is the best place to get a plan with measurements?
    I'd make it out of steel box section. I've access to all the necessary metal working tools (welders, grinders, chop saw, etc) - I just need a plan to work from.
    I've currently got a York 1001 home multigym, but it is only really useful for the pulley based exercises - anything involving the sleeve that slides up and down the frame is a hash as it doen't like anything that is not a direct vertical force on it - benching and squats are very 'sticky' and there is no ability to do DL.
    However, the pec machine and pulleys are excellent (as long as the cable doesn't get stuck between the actually pulley and the frame).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Hi,

Considering building my own weightlifting cage and was wondering were is the best place to get a plan with measurements?
    I'd make it out of steel box section. I've access to all the necessary metal working tools (welders, grinders, chop saw, etc) - I just need a plan to work from.
    I've currently got a York 1001 home multigym, but it is only really useful for the pulley based exercises - anything involving the sleeve that slides up and down the frame is a hash as it doen't like anything that is not a direct vertical force on it - benching and squats are very 'sticky' and there is no ability to do DL.
    However, the pec machine and pulleys are excellent (as long as the cable doesn't get stuck between the actually pulley and the frame).

Thanks.

Why don't you just go to the nearest powerlifting club and ask can you photograph and measure their one?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

I didn't get very far with these plans. However, I've lost a lot of mass/weight and not feeling well so I'm thinking again about getting my own home setup.

I seen this for sale and was wondering what opinions were on it:

How much would I need to budget for an oly bar and some weights and an adjustable bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the cable pulley extension necessary? I've finally got rid of the York multi gym and thinking of what to get.

I'm now thinking of a foldable rack so it can be moved in out off the way. However these will not have a cable part.

I've looked again at the cages and they will sit out too far into my garage and no way to easily move them.

Any ideas?

PS - where is everyone? Surprised to see some old threads of mine still at the top of the first page.

Advertisement