Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Face covering exemption question

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,231 ✭✭✭✭fits

Honestly I'd like to hear what Public health would have to say about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

fits wrote: »
    Honestly I'd like to hear what Public health would have to say about this.

Send them an email and update us.

What is your solution?

I personally don't think sitting beside a peer unmasked is a good solution... It is putting an unnecessary risk on their peers and I'd guarantee you'd have the peers parents onto the school saying that the school isn't safe guarding their child.

Suddenly every child in the class will be asthmatic, live with a vulnerable person etc and could the school please ensure unmasked student is kept away from their child.

Alot of people are very scared of this virus and that can't just be dismissed because a student feels uncomfortable sitting with their teacher.

What is your solution?

I personally don't think sitting beside a peer unmasked is a good solution... It is putting an unnecessary risk on their peers and I'd guarantee you'd have the peers parents onto the school saying that the school isn't safe guarding their child.

Suddenly every child in the class will be asthmatic, live with a vulnerable person etc and could the school please ensure unmasked student is kept away from their child.

Alot of people are very scared of this virus and that can't just be dismissed because a student feels uncomfortable sitting with their teacher.

My solution would be to have the student sitting with the rest of their class. With 1m distancing if possible. Windows should be open anyway. But then I believe the risk from one student unmasked is absolutely miniscule.

Im not going to email public health but perhaps the parent concerned might. I genuinely would be interested to hear what they would have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

What is your solution?

Why can't the desk with the plastic guard be with the rest of the desks?

Has the OP told us yet?

Why can't the desk with the plastic guard be with the rest of the desks?

Has the OP told us yet?

I suggested that in a previous entry.

Though when you think about it, you will need a screen for 3 sides back a foot or so from the desk too for when the student sits back in their chair too.

So to prevent it from blocking other students view (I appreciate it will be clear plastic) but it's still an "obstruction" the two back corners of the room are the main option or maybe front and sides.

• Advertisement

I suggested that in a previous entry.

Though when you think about it, you will need a screen for 3 sides back a foot or so from the desk too for when the student sits back in their chair too.

So to prevent it from blocking other students view (I appreciate it will be clear plastic) but it's still an "obstruction" the two back corners of the room are the main option or maybe front and sides.

I hadn't thought of the obstruction it might cause.

It would have to go to the back row. That would be fine though.

My solution would be to have the student sitting with the rest of their class. With 1m distancing if possible. Windows should be open anyway. But then I believe the risk from one student unmasked is absolutely miniscule.

Im not going to email public health but perhaps the parent concerned might. I genuinely would be interested to hear what they would have to say.

See this is where people's perceptions totally differ and neither is "completey right or completely wrong"

If it were my son I'd be happier with them sitting at the front of the class with the screen between them and their classmates. Plenty of posters have said masks are not 100% effective and in this scenario you are relying on 13 year olds to wear them properly... So I would feel my son has better protection at the front. I would also feel that they would do better academically at the front. However I'm small so I was always placed in the front row... For 6 long years :) so sitting in the front wouldn't bother me.

If they came home and said they were placed in the back beside an open window I think I'd be more annoyed as I would perceive that as throw them down the back and forget about them. Freeze them out of it and hope they don't come back.

As a student sitting beside a window would have been a disaster as I've the attention span of a newt and I'm a cold creature so an open window in winter I would have begged my mum to let me off school. As it was I wore t-shirt, shirt, two jumpers and kept my blazer on all day, so an open window beside me for a full day would have been torture.

The op needs to discuss the options with the school and try to find a solution that is suitable for all involved.

The op needs to discuss the options with the school and try to find a solution that is suitable for all involved.

Well we can certainly agree on that.

As an aside I have a young boy with extra needs. he is not at an age where mask wearing is an issue ( thank goodness). but I’m sure it is making life difficult for many families. It’s a lot to ask of some kids and then they are marked out if they can’t wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

That tiny mitigation of risk is far outweighed by the marginalisation of the student. Remember masks are only one aspect of the measures. Social distancing and hand washing are still at play. Both possible to implement without exclusion.

Professor Philip Nolan's thread about how the virus transmits is worth reading, and maybe puts this issue into perspective

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1299417080597565441

"The risk is increased when crowded together, and by loud conversation, shouting and singing, especially indoors; but crowding, contact and raised voices are risky outdoors too. The risk is reduced by good hygiene, face coverings, staying seated, and quiet conversation"

Sounds like the classroom fits that fairly well, and if the child can't protect themselves with a mask moving them 2M away seems to match this guys advice no?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Just spotted this thread and out of curiosity I checked to see what the guidance says. What I found doesn’t mention screens but when talking about class rooms where physical distancing can’t be maintained, says that masks should be worn and that “Staff or students who cannot wear face coverings or visors for health reasons should be based in other classrooms or areas wherever possible”. Depending on how that’s been interpreted, the screen may be the schools way of trying to keep him with his class.

https://assets.gov.ie/83472/ca0e3029-2d43-4e77-8181-bc3dc89455d2.pdf

• Advertisement

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Just spotted this thread and out of curiosity I checked to see what the guidance says. What I found doesn’t mention screens but when talking about class rooms where physical distancing can’t be maintained, says that masks should be worn and that “Staff or students who cannot wear face coverings or visors for health reasons should be based in other classrooms or areas wherever possible”. Depending on how that’s been interpreted, the screen may be the schools way of trying to keep him with his class.

https://assets.gov.ie/83472/ca0e3029-2d43-4e77-8181-bc3dc89455d2.pdf

The screen is sufficient protection for all. There is no reason that the desk with the screen has to be moved.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The screen is sufficient protection for all. There is no reason that the desk with the screen has to be moved.

Screens alone don’t block airborne transmission , a mask s needed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

todolist wrote: »
    He came home from school very distressed at they way he was treated.He was clearly victimized because he's been picked out and treated differently. I assumed he would just sit at his designated desk like all his other classmates.

What do you say to a kid who comes home very stressed because they have to sit near some other kid who refuses to wear a mask ? they are non stop stressed and anxious as they see everybody else including themselves wearing one but somebody is refusing... the other kid is refusing because they believe their comfort and wellbeing is to be prioritized over everybody and everything else...

What do you say to a car driver who maintains that he should be allowed to break red lights, with the possibility that he might kill or injure a pedestrian or fellow road user ? You can say...

the rules are for the health, safety and wellbeing of the entire community of road users. If you cannot operate a vehicle without compromising fellow road users, their health, safety and lives... you have no place on the road, end of.

The rules in the classroom are the same... if a kid cannot or refuses to adopt and adhere to the rules that enable a safe and healthy class, for whatever reason, they have no place in that class... and the mental health BSers can stick it where the sun don’t shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭jackboy

Strumms wrote: »
    The rules in the classroom are the same... if a kid cannot or refuses to adopt and adhere to the rules that enable a safe and healthy class, for whatever reason, they have no place in that class... and the mental health BSers can stick it where the sun don’t shine.

What about the primary school children who don’t have to wear masks. Should they have no place in a class? There are reasons primary school children don’t have to wear masks. There are reasons why a small number of secondary school children cant wear masks. Everyone else just needs to get on with it. One child without a mask results in a very small increase in risk.

jackboy wrote: »
    What about the primary school children who don’t have to wear masks. Should they have no place in a class? There are reasons primary school children don’t have to wear masks. There are reasons why a small number of secondary school children cant wear masks. Everyone else just needs to get on with it. One child without a mask results in a very small increase in risk.

There are plenty of people, teachers, health experts including prof. Luke O’Neill the top immunologist who are adamant ALL children should wear masks in school...

Get on with what ? Get on with facilitating the transmission of a deadly disease ? After all the hard work and sacrifice to get us to here and now and because of a limp wristed weak as fûck parent pandering government ? They can fûcking get bent. It won’t end well but parents be delighted... no necessity to parent , teach, discipline their children as regards doing this for everyone.. no .. for themselves, an easy life..

What do you say to a kid who comes home very stressed because they have to sit near some other kid who refuses to wear a mask ? they are non stop stressed and anxious as they see everybody else including themselves wearing one but somebody is refusing... the other kid is refusing because they believe their comfort and wellbeing is to be prioritized over everybody and everything else...

What do you say to a car driver who maintains that he should be allowed to break red lights, with the possibility that he might kill or injure a pedestrian or fellow road user ? You can say...

the rules are for the health, safety and wellbeing of the entire community of road users. If you cannot operate a vehicle without compromising fellow road users, their health, safety and lives... you have no place on the road, end of.

Have you any idea what autism or sensory processing issues mean? The rules are thre for those that can adhere to them. The actions of the majority protect everyone.

There are plenty of people, teachers, health experts including prof. Luke O’Neill the top immunologist who are adamant ALL children should wear masks in school...

Get on with what ? Get on with facilitating the transmission of a deadly disease ? After all the hard work and sacrifice to get us to here and now and because of a limp wristed weak as fûck parent pandering government ? They can fûcking get bent. It won’t end well but parents be delighted... no necessity to parent , teach, discipline their children as regards doing this for everyone.. no .. for themselves, an easy life..
    There is no policy in Ireland to eliminate the virus. We are just trying to keep levels low so the hospitals don’t get overwhelmed. If a small number of secondary school children can’t wear masks this is no big deal, it results in a small risk increase.

Have you any idea what autism or sensory processing issues mean? The rules are thre for those that can adhere to them. The actions of the majority protect everyone.

Have you any idea what percentage of primary school students have autism or sensory processing issues ?

508,652 primary school children in ireland. According to the NDA approximately 8000 of those students in regular schools and classes have some kind of special need. Do we say... “ok, we will exempt those kids, FÛCK the other 500,000, their families etc” ? NO... we minimize the risk for everyone..if tough, hard and unpopular decisions are and have to be made to ensure the wellbeing of society... that’s what has to happen.

There is no policy in Ireland to eliminate the virus. We are just trying to keep levels low so the hospitals don’t get overwhelmed. If a small number of secondary school children can’t wear masks this is no big deal, it results in a small risk increase.

I never mentioned eliminating it. Low levels ? Absolutely I’m with you.... that’s why every child needs to mask up... those unable, unwilling... don’t go to school.

I never mentioned eliminating it. Low levels ? Absolutely I’m with you.... that’s why every child needs to mask up... those unable, unwilling... don’t go to school.

That’s going too far. That would do severe damage to the affected students with very little benefit to the rest.

• Advertisement

That’s going too far. That would do severe damage to the affected students with very little benefit to the rest.

The benefit to the rest is keeping everyone safe... that’s a huge benefit for students, staff and their families... never going too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Unknownability

https://youtu.be/g7_P2RmrA6U

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I have an issue with suggesting that your child is being discriminated against.

the greater good is the principle.
    and that includes your child
    and he is being protected
    and others are being protected

and you have an issue with this?

there is no doubt teenagers want to look different
    and he is being treated differently
    but to suggest he is being discriminated against is not the case

everyone needs to do the best they can
    for everyone's sake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Anyone who can't wear a mask should wear a face shield.

rom wrote: »

Possibly. Anyone who maintains that they can’t wear a mask will just come out with some other schtick as to why they can’t wear shields in all probability..

If somebody came into their boss...”I have accredited confirmation from my psychologist that I shouldn’t have to wear clothes, here is the letter, makes me uncomfortable and have panic attacks, I’ll be naked in the office from now on, thanks”...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Possibly. Anyone who maintains that they can’t wear a mask will just come out with some other schtick as to why they can’t wear shields in all probability..

If somebody came into their boss...”I have accredited confirmation from my psychologist that I shouldn’t have to wear clothes, here is the letter, makes me uncomfortable and have panic attacks, I’ll be naked in the office from now on, thanks”...

Id love to see the psychological report on you :D

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Id love to see the psychological report on you :D

I buried the last two, along with the reports, at sea :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

rom wrote: »

Face shields offer no protection , litterally you might as well be wearing nothing ,

In my setting most of the kids from 1st class up are wearing masks , even when they are outside they keep them on (not told to but they just do ) staff are doubled up with visors and masks .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

But process wise, trying to understand why would they allow exemptions rather than endorsing online learning for this student ?

Allowing "local" interpretation on everything here is getting me more annoyed tbh. We don't know enough https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-children-study/a-54749938 -> from where this paragraph seemed quite common sense to me: ""Compulsory face masks, physical distancing, hygiene rules and set study groups can all reduce the risk of spread. That's the consensus, but just how to deal with such issues, as well as how often classes should be held online or in person, remains open to interpretation in many countries."
    Limpy wrote: »
    Stop trying to be a Karen.
    now I have to say this is what my 12yo would say: not really a compliment for an adult...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Schools barely have the resources for essential supplies, and can only manage to function because of the voluntary contribution from parents and fund-raising by the school or parents themselves.

Where's the money for these mythical desk screens to come from? The Dept of Education? pfft.

Advertisement