Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starlink Launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I'll be going back out, thanks.

You're welcome! Did you see them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Ah that was so cool with the moon below, the one in the centre of the train was much brighter than the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

no.8 wrote: »
    You're welcome! Did you see them?

Absolutely! Hard to think man put lights like that in the sky...Unreal, thanks for the tip off!

Another pass tonight at 1:19am and should be a bit brighter than the earlier pass.

Conditions couldn't be better tonight with the moon adding a bit more light to reflect off the satellites, got to see them twice tonight plus a couple other satellites while I was waiting for starlink :)

• Advertisement

I saw nothing second time round, but there was cloud cover. The first one took me back 40 years to being on my father's lap though, won't forget it in a hurry.

Will the starlink tonight at 23.45 be as long as the one last Friday night? Clearing up nicely here in North Cork, looks to be only 20 satellites in that train as opposed to 60 the other night...

Starlink pass tonight at 23:59, 1.7 magnitude of brightness should be a good view.

Edit: Looks to be some high level cloud where I am.

Bsal wrote: »
    Starlink pass tonight at 23:59, 1.7 magnitude of brightness should be a good view.

Edit: Looks to be some high level cloud where I am.

Same here, hopeful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Anyone see the space-junk/asteroid a bit earlier....23:30...between Arcturus and Vega heading South-> NW...it flared for 3-5 secs and was really bright...!!

• Advertisement

Just back from the garden they were very dim for me could just about see them with the naked eye.

Nothing here, cloud right in the way. 1.25 next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I saw the train on friday night 23.45,clear skies.It was worth waiting for.
    It was like a glittering diamond necklace flying across the sky and very fast!
    Also reminded me of santy and a long sleigh, in a hurry:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The next Starlink launch is tomorrow morning at 10:21 our time. Should be live on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah great, even more satellites to litter the night sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

fryup wrote: »
    ah great, even more satellites to litter the night sky

Looking for these is the first time 99% of people have looked up at night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so that makes them acceptable then?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

fryup wrote: »
    so that makes them acceptable then?

Start a thread on it if you like. I find the info here useful.

Subject to regulatory approval Spacex Starlink internet services should be available in the EU sometime in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭webpal

I've been looking for starlinks but am not having much luck. I follow astronomy Ireland on Twitter and their times are different to what findastarlink.com is telling me for my location. Which site do look at for accurate timings, with the naked eye.

• Advertisement

webpal wrote: »
    I've been looking for starlinks but am not having much luck. I follow astronomy Ireland on Twitter and their times are different to what findastarlink.com is telling me for my location. Which site do look at for accurate timings, with the naked eye.
    If you put in proper location they all the same.

Use https://findstarlink.com/

FFVII wrote: »
    If you put in proper location they all the same.

Use https://findstarlink.com/

Nearest location is Waterford which shows passes at 10:32 and 11:52 wheres astronomy Ireland is showing
    11:55 and 12:11am

Nearest location is Waterford which shows passes at 10:32 and 11:52 wheres astronomy Ireland is showing
    11:55 and 12:11am

I'm Midlands.

I won't be able to see it at all. Newest ones.

Where is astronomy Ireland based? Different than you anyway.

Use 10.32.

Their tweets dont say, at least findastarlink.com has coordinates so I'll go by that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Saturday 13th June

11:55pm see new STARLINKs(Jun.4 batch) in the South - about 50 of them, 10-15 seconds apart on average!!!

12:11am(Sunday) see STARLINKs (Apr.22 batch) almost overhead (1 every 20 seconds until 12:25am)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Subject to regulatory approval Spacex Starlink internet services should be available in the EU sometime in 2021.

Wonder how that will work if the EU give it approval. Is he giving it away for free at first to get people to sign up? Would imagine Sky/Virgin, etc will have something to say about that

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wonder how that will work if the EU give it approval. Is he giving it away for free at first to get people to sign up? Would imagine Sky/Virgin, etc will have something to say about that

No idea of the costs at the moment but you need an external antenna/receiver of some kind to communicate with the satellites. Spacex are looking to operate it themselves in the US but may sub-license it out in Europe to various providers - this would probably make it more acceptable to the EU regulators from a competition point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭rameire

one I have used alot recently is james.darpinian.com
    it provides a map of the earth based on your location and then a view from the ground up, and will provide times of starlink passing overhead.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Astronomy Ireland times are estimated for Max and place you in central Ireland by default (so everyone in Ireland gets a chance to see them). If you visit HeavensAbove you'll get exact times down to the second based off your geo-location/IP.

You would want to be first looking for them in complete darkness, with absolutely no light sources in your view, that includes a phone screen (if you must look a a phone screen and happen to have an iPhone they have a colour filter that can be accessed to turn the screen red when you press the home button 3 times), light pollution plays a big role in how visible they are. I'm in a Bortle zone 9 and can see them but they are difficult to spot. The train was barely visible for me.

• Advertisement

When's the first visible passing of those 58 launched last Saturday morning?

Advertisement