Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ADVICE: How to get back into teaching for returning ex-pat teacher

• 07-05-2020 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

I trained and taught in Dublin for several years before immigrating. I've been gone for many years but am currently planning to move back (after COVID fecks off).

I have no contacts left in the teaching profession so wanted to hit you all up for advice. I've been teaching online here for about 3 years but really want to get back into a junior classroom again but I have no idea how to do that. The panel was just being brought in when I left. Is that still a thing? How do you go about getting on the panel?

Also, I have zero Irish left. I tried to take a refresher course but it was like starting a new language all over again. How to foreign trained teachers deal with this?

Thanks lads :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Since you mention Irish, are you a primary school teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you don’t speak Irish, go learn it again, properly, before you even set foot in a classroom. Your students deserve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

There are lots of primary school teachers out there who don't have perfect or fluent Irish and I'm sure they're doing a great job. I personally know of a teaching principal who openly admits they have forgotten most of their Irish.

Unless the OP hopes to teach in a Gaelscoil, I don't think you need to be so dismissive.

In an ideal world, yes every primary teacher in the country would have native like Irish but it's not the reality and not always necessary either.

quote="RealJohn;113480316"]If you don’t speak Irish, go learn it again, properly, before you even set foot in a classroom. Your students deserve that.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

williaint wrote: »
    There are lots of primary school teachers out there who don't have perfect or fluent Irish and I'm sure they're doing a great job. I personally know of a teaching principal who openly admits they have forgotten most of their Irish.

Unless the OP hopes to teach in a Gaelscoil, I don't think you need to be so dismissive.

In an ideal world, yes every primary teacher in the country would have native like Irish but it's not the reality and not always necessary either.

Hold on a moment.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

OP hasn't confirmed primary school teacher but why wait ? Get shtuck in dere lads.

• Advertisement

user52873 wrote: »
    OP hasn't confirmed primary school teacher but why wait ? Get shtuck in dere lads.

Ya well if he's taking juniors and Irish it's probably definitely primary

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

quote="RealJohn;113480316"]If you don’t speak Irish, go learn it again, properly, before you even set foot in a classroom. Your students deserve that.
    [/QUOTE]

I would still wonder at someone who is presumably Irish, has been through the education system here for 13 odd years, got at least a C in Higher Level Irish in the Leaving, did a Primary Teaching Degree and taught in Ireland, and says they have no Irish left.

It's been almost 25 years since I did my LC, and I can still speak French and German, albeit not as good as then but to have no Irish left?
    Also, I have zero Irish left. I tried to take a refresher course but it was like starting a new language all over again.

Even the weakest student who hated Irish with a passion at school and never used it since the day they left is able to chuck out some stock phrases and spout bits and pieces.

Also while absolute fluency may not be necessary to teach junior infants etc, a level higher than junior infants is desirable. A teacher should understand why sentences, spelling and grammar are the way they are, so they can teach it correctly to students.

When I entered secondary school my Irish teacher who was a native speaker was able to pick out all the students that went to my school based on our grammar mistakes as we all had the same ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

user52873 wrote: »

What?! Then it just wouldn't be relevant in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AniJ wrote: »
    Hi All,

I trained and taught in Dublin for several years before immigrating. I've been gone for many years but am currently planning to move back (after COVID fecks off).

Maybe I'm too pedantic, but as well as the lack of Irish, I worry about teachers not knowing the difference between emigration and immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

Geuze wrote: »
    Maybe I'm too pedantic, but as well as the lack of Irish, I worry about teachers not knowing the difference between emigration and immigration.

You are not only being pedantic, but you are being wrong. If he emigrated (from Ireland) then he most certainly did immigrate (to wherever).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You are not only being pedantic, but you are being wrong. If he emigrated (from Ireland) then he most certainly did immigrate (to wherever).

Hmmm, the way it's written suggests to me a description of what happened after finishing teaching here.

When people leave Ireland, they are described as emigrating, although of course they are also immigrants to the receiving country.

Geuze wrote: »

Hint of pleonasm of your post Geuze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Treppen wrote: »
    Hint of pleonasm of your post Geuze.

Had to look pleonasm up. New word for me. You learn something new everyday ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

AniJ wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have no contacts left in the teaching profession so wanted to hit you all up for advice. I've been teaching online here for about 3 years but really want to get back into a junior classroom again but I have no idea how to do that. The panel was just being brought in when I left. Is that still a thing? How do you go about getting on the panel?

Also, I have zero Irish left. I tried to take a refresher course but it was like starting a new language all over again. How to foreign trained teachers deal with this?

Thanks lads :)

Have you kept up your registration with the Teaching Council? That will be your first port of call. If you have, then happy days. By all accounts re-registering is a pain in the a$$.
    I’m sure you have some contacts left. Drop a cv into your old school/s and say you are available for subbing. Or ask any former colleagues if they know of anything going.

Regarding the Irish, it’s very unlikely you have lost it all. Surely you had honours level at some stage? It’ll come back. As a previous poster mentioned, many Irish people have more Irish than they think. Try and listen to some online. Train your ear again. Enrol on a conversational course.

The panel is for teachers who have built up service or who are being redeployed. It takes at least two years to get on the supplementary panel so I wouldn’t worry about that yet.

You’re right, of course. In an ideal world, the goal of a teacher should be that their students learn, but we don’t live in that fantasy land. In the real world, teachers teach to the best of their ability, and if they’re not much good at Irish (or maths, or history, ... ), well that’s a pity but they’re not always necessary, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I still don't think you need native like Irish to be an effective teacher at primary level in an English medium school. And as others have pointed out, the OP clearly has some grounding in Irish, if they have achieved the B2 level in the past, it won't take that much to attain it again. And B2 may I add is not fluency or native like but that is the requirement for primary teachers and secondary teachers of a MFL.

Also some language teachers at second level are not perfectly fluent in the language(s) they teach. They are still amazing at their job and have excellent classroom management, delivery, etc. Fluency in the language is desirable of course but there are also other more important skills at play.

To the OP, fire out those applications and get yourself on Duolinguo! You are qualified and have plenty of international experience so you have nothing to prove!

RealJohn wrote: »
    You’re right, of course. In an ideal world, the goal of a teacher should be that their students learn, but we don’t live in that fantasy land. In the real world, teachers teach to the best of their ability, and if they’re not much good at Irish (or maths, or history, ... ), well that’s a pity but they’re not always necessary, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I still don't think you need native like Irish to be an effective teacher at primary level in an English medium school. And as others have pointed out, the OP clearly has some grounding in Irish, if they have achieved the B2 level in the past, it won't take that much to attain it again. And B2 may I add is not fluency or native like but that is the requirement for primary teachers and secondary teachers of a MFL.

Also some language teachers at second level are not perfectly fluent in the language(s) they teach. They are still amazing at their job and have excellent classroom management, delivery, etc. Fluency in the language is desirable of course but there are also other more important skills at play.

To the OP, fire out those applications and get yourself on Duolinguo! You are qualified and have plenty of international experience so you have nothing to prove!

Actually, rather than doing Duolingo, if you have a few euro to spare, get some online tutoring sessions. There are plenty of native speakers who have a qualification in Irish who are flexibility available at the moment for 1-2-1 tuition. My tutor is an SLT, a native speaker from a Gaeltacht area, has a language qualification and they're excellent - I'm far more confident with my Irish now and I hadn't used my Irish since my LC.

AniJ, PM me if you want some details about how I found them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forgetfulme

Along these lines, returning expat PP teacher who has been out of the classroom for a bit...have managed to navigate the shark infested waters of the Teaching Council and got my license but just wondering next steps. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Should I build up CPD courses before returning? If so through PDST or other avenues? Is a Sept 21 time frame too ambitious or would Sept 22 be more realistic to be in with a proper shout of applying for jobs? Pros/Cons of ETB/DES or private schools in the long run? Are contracts with multiple subjects more prone to disintegrate over time e.g 11 hour main subject, 2 hours Learning support, 1 hour CSPE, 2 hours SPHE ect.

I've read so many horror stories, any useful or recommended resources would be super :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Have a look at this page - https://pdst.ie/teachinginireland

The PDST have written and developed a new interactive resource to provide an overview of some key developments in Irish Education in recent years, which impact the work of teachers in classrooms.

Areas addressed in this resource include:

Changes in Educational Policy

Curriculum Reform at primary and post-primary level

Developments in assessment

Advances in Digital Technologies and their application to teaching, learning and assessment

Inclusion and changes in provision for Special Education Needs

Review of leadership structures in schools.

This resource will prove useful for teachers returning to the Irish education system after a period away, for newly qualified teachers entering the system and for those with an interest in education in Ireland more generally.

This is a great start! Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

If you don’t speak Irish, go learn it again, properly, before you even set foot in a classroom. Your students deserve that.

I hope the above statement is being made in full recognition and acceptance of the fact that Irish hasn't been taught properly in our schools for decades at primary or secondary level and our educational system is unfortunately serving to instill a deep hatred for our national tongue in a large section of the student population.

Gosh this is so sad and so true. I met an Irish person yesterday (in YVR Canada) and they said pity we spent all our time on a waste of a language Irish when we could have been learning french properly. Made me so sad.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    I hope the above statement is being made in full recognition and acceptance of the fact that Irish hasn't been taught properly in our schools for decades at primary or secondary level and our educational system is unfortunately serving to instill a deep hatred for our national tongue in a large section of the student population.

The first half of that is certainly true, and underlines my point. Anyone who is going to add to that should not go into primary teaching.
    Lots of people hate maths too by the way, and it's been taught badly at primary for a long time, but I don't hear people defending that very often.

At the end of the day, anyone who wants to be a primary teacher in this country ought to have good Irish, English, and maths (at a minimum), or go and do something else, and frankly, the minimum standards for primary teachers in those subjects are nowhere near enough.

The first half of that is certainly true, and underlines my point. Anyone who is going to add to that should not go into primary teaching.
    Lots of people hate maths too by the way, and it's been taught badly at primary for a long time, but I don't hear people defending that very often.

At the end of the day, anyone who wants to be a primary teacher in this country ought to have good Irish, English, and maths (at a minimum), or go and do something else, and frankly, the minimum standards for primary teachers in those subjects are nowhere near enough.

You can take it as a solid fact that our systems and practices of teaching Irish are not fit for purpose and instead of developing proficiency and fostering affection and appreciation for our native language instead serve as a mechanism to propagate an abiding dislike of it into the future for a very large proportion of the student population - It's a national disgrace.

To say that Teachers should be operating at a certain level in order to capably perpetuate this shambolic folly is like saying that the Titanic could have done with a lick of paint as it sank.

You can take it as a solid fact that our systems and practices of teaching Irish are not fit for purpose and instead of developing proficiency and fostering affection and appreciation for our native language instead serve as a mechanism to propagate an abiding dislike of it into the future for a very large proportion of the student population - It's a national disgrace.

To say that Teachers should be operating at a certain level in order to capably perpetuate this shambolic folly is like saying that the Titanic could have done with a lick of paint as it sank.
    No, it isn’t, and that’s not even approaching an honest argument. Your argument essentially is that having competent teachers would only make a minimal difference in both students’ ability and attitude to the language. That’s utter nonsense.

No that's not what I said whatsoever, you've either a comprehension or interpretation issue afoot here.

I must ask, what are you saying exactly? Are you implying that the actual mechanics of the system are broken or are you saying that the Teachers are to blame?

I was actually favouring the argument that the employed methodology was rubbish leading to a miserable experience throughout, poor results for far too many and the poor unfortunate students (victims really) are being herded through the ordeal and coming out the other side disillusioned and full of bitter resentment.

- You seem to be implying that the utter calamity of Irish teaching in our schools is due to the Teachers being incompetent which I don't believe to be that case.

My assumption was always that it was being delivered by sincere, well-intentioned and capable professionals who haven't been given an appropriate means to get an appropriate end-result.

Regardless, if I was a Teacher who was inclined to be snooty and elitist towards other Teachers in regard to their level of Irish then I'd prefer to be standing on a far less rickety, slippery and inglorious platform.

No that's not what I said whatsoever, you've either a comprehension or interpretation issue afoot here.

I must ask, what are you saying exactly? Are you implying that the actual mechanics of the system are broken or are you saying that the Teachers are to blame?

I was actually favouring the argument that the employed methodology was rubbish leading to a miserable experience throughout, poor results for far too many and the poor unfortunate students (victims really) are being herded through the ordeal and coming out the other side disillusioned and full of bitter resentment.

- You seem to be implying that the utter calamity of Irish teaching in our schools is due to the Teachers being incompetent which I don't believe to be that case.

My assumption was always that it was being delivered by sincere, well-intentioned and capable professionals who haven't been given an appropriate means to get an appropriate end-result.

Regardless, if I was a Teacher who was inclined to be snooty and elitist towards other Teachers in regard to their level of Irish then I'd prefer to be standing on a far less rickety, slippery and inglorious platform.
    I understood you just fine. I don’t think you understood it very well yourself though. Your suggestion that having competent teachers would make about as much difference as painting the Titanic doesn’t take much interpretation, and it illustrates quite well how little you value expertise.

At no point did I suggest that the system doesn’t need to be improved but the best system in the world is useless if those operating it aren’t competent, and that’s the current situation, regardless of the effectiveness or otherwise of the system.

In fact, I’d say that the first things that need to be fixed are the primary teacher training and the primary school system. Kids should not be leaving primary school not being able to read and write properly in Irish and English and not being able to do basic maths but it’s happening all across the country.

The fact that you think that the view that being competent to do your job (regardless of whether the system in which you’re working is fit for purpose or not) is “snooty and elitist” says it all about how you view competence.

Read back - At no point did I question the competency, expertise or good intentions of Teachers.

You've even quoted me in your last post explicitly saying I don't believe Teachers are incompetent or to blame.

My original point was and remains that the system is broken.

The nuance that completely escaped you in the Titanic comment was that the whole vessel of Irish teaching at primary and secondary level has a hole under the waterline and to be grumbling about how Teachers need to be fantastic at Irish is akin to busily rearranging the deckchairs.

As an aside, if you do intend to continue and try and win arguments by attacking posters for points they never made and opinions they never held, then perhaps you should read the below handbook for further tips and advice.

Strawman

I’ve always found that people usually start accusing people of strawman arguments when they’re wrong and no it.
    Nothing you‘ve said has gone over my head. You’re just wrong and/or not focusing on the main problem. Like I said, you can have the best system in the world but if those tasked with applying it don’t have the necessary skills with which to do so, it doesn’t matter.

You have no twice suggested that without a good system, the actual ability of the teachers is irrelevant. You’ve got it backwards. Maybe the system is bad. We have no idea because whether it is or it isn’t, the teachers can’t actually teach Irish to the level they need to be in order for us to evaluate the system.

I know you’re saying teachers aren’t to blame. I never accused you of saying otherwise. The only thing you’re right about is that there is clearly a problem with a system that allows students to spend eight years learning Irish and maths and still not know their tables or be able to have a basic conversation, but if they had even one teacher who was good at teaching those things, for one year, that wouldn’t be the case. The fact that so many students reach secondary school as I described tells you how often that happens.

You can claim that you never made the points you made, but a little intellectual honesty might serve your argument better.

• Advertisement

I really am not trying to change your mind or point of view as at the end of the day is matters not one bit to me how you ultimately perceive this sorry situation - I've said my piece and even repackaged it for clarity and accessibility, but alas to no avail.

I would however appreciate it if you could please stop twisting and misrepresenting what I did actually say either out of your own genuine failure to understand it or some odd predisposition towards disingenuous mischief-making.

To anyone else reading the thread, honestly please ignore the enhanced backpedaling re-written narrative and read the original script.

Advertisement